amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Epic winter signal continues to beam

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with tonights modeling trending towards a stronger phase out west, this thing would have gone too minnesota if it wasnt for the PV /and hi pressure in the plains ridging down, lol

but its all messed up the way energy gets lagging in the west, other models are showing it too.....unlikely to play out that way i would think but who knows i guess.

as Wiz said lots to be resolved of course at this range.

There's a nice banana hammock high stretching from the N Plains to NE ahead of the system. The low levels should stay fairly cold over the interior. You're close to all snow this run Ray....maybe a little taint if the warmest layer is above H85. It's still a handful of days away.

that PV is really going to save the day

with tonights modeling trending towards a stronger phase out west, this thing would have gone too minnesota if it wasnt for the PV, lol

but its all messed up the way energy gets lagging in the west, other models are showing it too.....unlikely to play out that way i would think but who knows i guess.

as Wiz said lots to be resolved of course at this range.

I agree.....it will save us int the lower levels entirely in the interior and for the most part near the coast, but the mid levels maybe more difficult to salvage.

N of the NH border looks to be mainly snow ont he EURO and I'd get a good 3" before the flip.

There's a nice banana hammock high stretching from the N Plains to NE ahead of the system. The low levels should stay fairly cold over the interior. You're close to all snow this run Ray....maybe a little taint if the warmest layer is above H85. It's still a handful of days away.

I agree.....it will save us int the lower levels entirely in the interior and for the most part near the coast, but the mid levels maybe more difficult to salvage.

N of the NH border looks to be mainly snow ont he EURO and I'd get a good 3" before the flip.

Yea, I just closely examined the run....classic SWFE.

There's alot of potential here given the seasonal tendency for lower heights over Southeast Canada. It's literally been a parade of shortwave energy across that area. The last system just a day or two ago was helped considerably by the shortwave that came through a few days earlier (bringing a light snow to many areas), as it lowered the heights and suppressed the flow over Southeast Canada and New England. Whenever I see any type of significant southern stream trough over the Southwest United States in the upper air pattern we are in now...my eyes start to glimmer. A lot of this will come down to the northern stream interaction and exact intricacies of the mid and upper level flow, as you can see in the variance between the 12/18/00 z GFS runs from today. All of them had different solutions, owing to the timing and juxtaposition of southern and northern stream timing and interactions; but I think the PNA and EPO, as well as the PV positioned in East and Northeast Canada could really light this potential up, big time.

f120.gif

GFS shifts north nicely for the midweek event and then drops an arctic high over NE Thu night/Fri morning. It gives me 2m temps of -30C. :lol:

just when i thought the peach trees were safe! What does that translate to at the surface? Brian you going to gtg? i am driving and coming home not too late if you need a ride.

It does look like a more north solution on this storm...thats been my feeling. blocking not strong to supress but plenty of cold to feed in. Perhaps this is the year when we in snh/cnh do wee with storms from the south and also those that go north

Alot will determine phasing likely, if the southern stream and the northern stream phase too early then we can certainly see a cutter like scenario, however, notice the series of high pressures back over the northern Plains and sliding down from Canada, whatever happens here could help and try to push this more eastward, disallowing a cutter like scenario.

I could potentially see some sort of overrunning type thing but I think we would see something similar to this past event with that regards.

Still plenty of time to work things out though!

or redevelopment along the coast from a swfe. i believe 93-94 had this set up with storms runnning up to our west then being forced to redevelop along the coast...giving me a few inches of snow to ice and rain in philly while ttn north was getting snow and more snow

ending with a net gain or slight loss and great crust for the next round for you?

Euro next week is pretty cold at the surface all the way to the BOS-PVD area. So verbatim it is snow to sleet. I suspect like this week's modeling last weekend on the Euro that the cold surface is signaling a cold overall solution. Another snow event on tap next week. Honestly we're out of space. I am probably taking a chance storing some in a corner of my deck. I'm going to look structurally underneath and consider moving snow over the weekend.

Archived