12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually getting mostly small snowflakes at 18th and E in NW. Just started two minutes ago. Had been rain since I got downtown at 730. Left Loudoun at 6am with about an inch of mostly snow and sleet.

And back to drizzle downtown...flag on top of GSA building appears to be getting wind from the NE right now.

I should clear 3 or 4 inches and then it looks like we get a break.

Looks like I will finish between 2.5 and 3 for this first batch then wait... latest guidance puts the deform band just southeast of me later but honestly I do not buy it... good VV's get well north of me into PA and usually the back of the deform band is where those cut off. I think there will be 2 heavy bands within the ccb that develops later. The first will be the one models are picking up on down right along 95 with the frontal forcing. The second will be back from JYO to FDK to York with the back edge of the deform band. Models right now are focusing completely on the frontal forcing band and missing the extent of the deform band IMO.

I'm just really curious about this last band moving up 95. Radar has been showing rain here in Ellicott City for the past hour or so but it's been all snow. Must be elevation or something. We only have 388 feet though...

Radar that shows where different precip types are is useless. It might be an OK first guess but it's nowhere near accurate enough to be used verbatim.

Looks like I will finish between 2.5 and 3 for this first batch then wait... latest guidance puts the deform band just southeast of me later but honestly I do not buy it... good VV's get well north of me into PA and usually the back of the deform band is where those cut off. I think there will be 2 heavy bands within the ccb that develops later. The first will be the one models are picking up on down right along 95 with the frontal forcing. The second will be back from JYO to FDK to York with the back edge of the deform band. Models right now are focusing completely on the frontal forcing band and missing the extent of the deform band IMO.

I agree, but either way I suspect I clear a foot if the models are even close to right.

As an aside...I'll never understand the whole "put your wipers up" craze in this area.

Unless the forecast is for heavy ice, I've never seen the point. Does it really make clearing your windshield easier or something?

Often the snow will melt a bit and re-freeze, leaving your wipers firmly stuck to your windshield. If it's cold enough, it really doesn't make a difference, but since we deal with marginal temps quite often around here, it's usually a good idea...

I'm just really curious about this last band moving up 95. Radar has been showing rain here in Ellicott City for the past hour or so but it's been all snow. Must be elevation or something. We only have 388 feet though...

The algorithms the radars use to detect rain/snow/sleet are not perfect. Don't expect them to be too accurate.

As an aside...I'll never understand the whole "put your wipers up" craze in this area.

Unless the forecast is for heavy ice, I've never seen the point. Does it really make clearing your windshield easier or something?

Wiperblades last longer if they don't freeze to the windshield in winter weather

Archived