joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15 miles west heavy cell popped up some sleet mixed in a big hand is to my south west

Given LWX's recent discussion that precip should fall as almost all snow despite any milder surface conditions and your obs of sleet and mid-upper 30's in RIC, I would think I'll have very little if any rain when precip arrives in a couple hours.

did you bother to read the latest mesoscale discussion from HPC?

people who are calling a bust when the main storm is still a few hours away should just be suspended. none of this is obs--it's just more endless whining. good grief.

There is no pessimism or whining in my post. Feel free to contribute something at any time.....it's becoming old reading your continual nanny posts without actual contributions.

:rolleyes:

Drizzling away my precious qpf. NWS really needs to update my local forecast of 1-3 inches of snow tonight? Geeze NWS. Forget the politics for once and start thinking of peoples SAFETY geeze...

Sure I know when the snow will start, how much I will get etc etc etc - but NWS really needs to WAKE THE FOOK UP and get the forecasts updated.

There are actually some folks who STILL think we will get rain tonight...

Drizzling away my precious qpf. NWS really needs to update my local forecast of 1-3 inches of snow tonight? Geeze NWS. Forget the politics for once and start thinking of peoples SAFETY geeze...

Sure I know when the snow will start, how much I will get etc etc etc - but NWS really needs to WAKE THE FOOK UP and get the forecasts updated.

lol

I need to make a decision whether to leave in the next hour. I'm currently in Hagerstown (33, light drizzle - snow stopped around 9 AM), and have the option to head back to my house in DC.

Am I correct to say that the models think the heaviest banding will take over a bit SE of Hagerstown, but a bit NW of Cleveland Park (upper NW DC)?

Decisions decisions. This is like deciding who to sub in at the last second during a fantasy football championship where both options seem equally appealing...

They just did .. new for Dale City

This Afternoon: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 3pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 34. North wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow, mainly before midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 26. Northwest wind between 8 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

I need to make a decision whether to leave in the next hour. I'm currently in Hagerstown (33, light drizzle - snow stopped around 9 AM), and have the option to head back to my house in DC.

Am I correct to say that the models think the heaviest banding will take over a bit SE of Hagerstown, but a bit NW of Cleveland Park (upper NW DC)?

Decisions decisions. This is like deciding who to sub in at the last second during a fantasy football championship where both options seem equally appealing...

I say leave as soon as you can

If you don't leave by 2:30 you're probably screwed.

They just did .. new for Dale City

This Afternoon: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 3pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 34. North wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow, mainly before midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 26. Northwest wind between 8 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Thanks - I stand corrected.

Come on. you know who usually wins out between Hagerstown and NW DC.

WOW! im about 30 miles west of fredericksburg and we have hail and thunder! coming down at a very heavy pace...some of the heaviest i've ever seen! i took a video on my camera phone...will put it up shortly. this is just unbelievable

Nice thunderstorm band between Charlottesville and Fredericksburg...anybody have precip type in that?

Time sensitive radar: http://radar.weather...101111&loop=yes

Archived