joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to freak out and have radar hallucinations over a set-up like this, then you probably should find a different hobby. This is about as good as it can possibly look at the outset of an event.

Hey I am just a newb and just really love the snow and listen to all you guys expertise. I just had a simple newb question, that's all... I apologize.

Is there a rule of thumb for how tempature is effected by the dew point and vice versa? I have it as 33.5 degrees with a dew point of 25, with heavy mist.

I'm suspicious that your dewpoint is that low...most in the area are very close to the temp.

When moisture is evaporated into dry air, the temperature will fall to the wet-bulb temperature. The wet-bulb is between the temp and dewpoint. The dewpoint cannot, by definition, be higher than the temperature.

Well, regardless, we always enjoy your company in our regional threads. :snowman:

Probably an area of 5-10 in those areas, but some areas will probably get near or perhaps over a foot of total snow accumulations, where the best banding sets up. DC area may get it too, but the area I outlined is my best guess right now.

Precip started back up at IAD and is predominatly snow already:

SPECI KIAD 261817Z 03009KT 2 1/2SM -DZ BR OVC006 02/01 A2964 RMK AO2 P0000

SPECI KIAD 261840Z 01010KT 3/4SM R01R/6000VP6000FT -DZ BR OVC004 02/01 A2961 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1 PRESFR P0000

METAR KIAD 261852Z 01009KT 3/4SM R01R/6000VP6000FT -SNRA BR OVC003 02/01 A2961 RMK AO2 DZE41RAB41SNB41 SLP028 P0001 T00170006

IAD's ob next hour should be fun :popcorn:

I'm suspicious that your dewpoint is that low...most in the area are very close to the temp.

When moisture is evaporated into dry air, the temperature will fall to the wet-bulb temperature. The wet-bulb is between the temp and dewpoint. The dewpoint cannot, by definition, be higher than the temperature.

It is off the weatherbug site it says now the current dew point 28, i think i misread it a minute ago, apologies.

Hey I am just a newb and just really love the snow and listen to all you guys expertise. I just had a simple newb question, that's all... I apologize.

No worries. Always remember when an ULL passes to the S&E of the metro area, precip breaks out to the NE and hangs back to the West.

Look at the radar loop down in SW VA. The rotation clearly shows the center of the ULL. As this tracks to the south of DCA and to the coast, the same type of radar returns (in general) will occur in the vicinity of the ULL. This isn't an advection type of event where you can just watch precip approach, move overhead, and then away. This is super dynamic and one of the best setups we can ask for around here for intense snowfall and good totals.

The track of the upper center remains really favorable for us getting snow. The farther north you live in the county the better in terms of accumulations but most of us in northern half will do fine. Maybe even the southern half but that's a little dicier. If you live around Dunkirk. Look for really intense snowfall rates around dark and through 8 or so and then lighter stuff to last until 10 or 11PM. At least that's my best guess.

This is what I've been hitting refresh periodically for the last few hours to get :weight_lift:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0050.html

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0050

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0119 PM CST WED JAN 26 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...NERN VA...WASHINGTON DC...CNTRL/NRN MD...MUCH OF

DE...SERN PA...MUCH OF NJ...NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA AND WRN LONG

ISLAND

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 261919Z - 270115Z

SNOWFALL WILL SPREAD INTO NERN VA...WASHINGTON DC...AND CNTRL/NRN MD

DURING THE 21-00Z TIME PERIOD...WITH RATES OF 1 IN/HR PROBABLE...AND

LOCALLY EXCEEDING 2 IN/HR FOR A BRIEF PERIOD OF TIME. SNOWFALL RATES

OF 1-2 IN/HR WILL THEN SPREAD NEWD ACROSS DE...SERN PA...MUCH OF

NJ...THE NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA AND WRN LONG ISLAND BY 00-03Z.

A PROGRESSIVE UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH LOCATED OVER THE WRN CAROLINAS AT

18Z IS FORECAST TO TAKE ON A NEGATIVE TILT AS IT EJECTS NEWD ACROSS

THE MID ATLANTIC COAST THIS EVENING. AS THIS OCCURS...OFFSHORE

SURFACE CYCLONE WILL MOVE NEWD TOWARD A POSITION S-SE OF LONG ISLAND

BY 03Z. MODEL FORECAST SOUNDINGS INDICATE THERMODYNAMIC PROFILES

ALONG AND S OF A LINE FROM NRN VA TO CNTRL NJ WILL INITIALLY SUPPORT

RAIN /POSSIBLY MIXED WITH FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET/. HOWEVER...THE

COMBINATION OF STRONG DEEP LAYER ASCENT AND STRENGTHENING LOW-LEVEL

CAA OCCURRING IN THE WAKE OF THE DEPARTING SURFACE LOW WILL FAVOR A

QUICK TRANSITION TO SNOW AS THE PRIMARY SHIELD OF PRECIPITATION

TRANSLATES NEWD DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON INTO THE EARLY NIGHT.

MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATES STRONG SYNOPTIC-SCALE ASCENT WILL BECOME

JUXTAPOSED WITH A ZONE OF STRENGTHENING LOW-MIDLEVEL FRONTOGENESIS

ALIGNED FROM NERN VA NEWD INTO NEW ENGLAND...AIDING IN INTENSE UVV/S

THROUGH THE DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE. PRECIPITATION RATES MAY BE

FURTHER ENHANCED BY WEAK CONVECTIVE INSTABILITY ROOTED IN THE

700-600 MB LAYER. HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER

NERN VA...WASHINGTON DC...AND CNTRL/NRN MD BY 21-00Z. AS THE UPPER

TROUGH MOVES TOWARD THE MID ATLANTIC COAST DURING THE 00-03Z TIME

PERIOD...STRONG ASCENT ACCOMPANIED BY THE DEVELOPMENT OF HEAVY

SNOWFALL RATES WILL SPREAD NEWD ACROSS DE...SERN PA...NJ...AND

EVENTUALLY THE NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA AND WRN LONG ISLAND.

..GARNER.. 01/26/2011

This is a great radar because of its resolution and temp overlay. Looping is a great way to watch what temps are doing as the bands move through. I think this is mitchnick's favorite.

http://marylandwx.com/klwxstate.php

Edit- A lot of stations are showing a 1-2 degree drop where heavy precip has moved in or just moved out. I'm liking my 34 surface temp right now.

Archived