joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't care because they either have a pool or a nice cold air conditioned workplace. Most of these people would change their minds quickly if they didn't have AC everywhere they went.

Most people here who gush over the heat don't actually spend much time in it.

Good point and probably true. It's easy to love the heat when there are cooling options (A/C, beach, pools) right around the corner.

They don't care because they either have a pool or a nice cold air conditioned workplace. Most of these people would change their minds quickly if they didn't have AC everywhere they went.

you could say the same thing about cold wx and heated houses

you could say the same thing about cold wx and heated houses

I only want cold because it's needed for snow. If it could snow and stick at 60 then I'd take temps in the 50s.

Plus heating is a necessity. The poorest homes have some type of heating, but not AC. No one had air conditioning before the 20th century.

The "only obese people have a hard time in the heat" meme gets old real fast. It takes a real athletic body to tolerate the notorious 41°N warmth, I'm sure.

Arguing about extreme wx preferences on a wx board will always seem counterintuitive to me.

especially since its a myth

Numerous studies have identified subpopulations at increased risk of heat-related morbidity and mortality: older adults, young children (0–4 years), males, and black persons (2,3,8–13, 15–20). Moreover, alcoholics, narcotics users, persons confined to bed or unable to care for themselves, socially isolated persons, those living on the top floor of multistory buildings, those without access to air conditioning, and persons who work or exercise outdoors are also at increased risk (2,3,8–13,16–21). The combined effects of a warming climate, the aging U.S. population, and the increasing number of people living in urban areas (where the urban heat island effect exacerbates the effects of high ambient temperatures) may result in an increasing number of people at risk of heat-related death (12,22).

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr076.pdf

I like the heat, and that's not necessarily true. I've worked in the heat many times, doing landscaping and such. Even in high school I played football. Try this weather with a helmet on, shoulder pads, padded pants, and while doing sprints and other drills.

it's totally a myth only obese people have trouble with the heat, read the link.

Too many factors involved in the study to draw a certain conclusion. Such as the clothing that is being worn and the health of the individual. 1:1 all things being equal the lower weight individual will last longer (unconsciousness and/or death) in my opinion in a timed experiment.

These experiments are unethical so we will never know verbatim. Lower BMI is also connected with greater longevity and quality of living all things equal.

I'm assuming you are rushing to judgement because 1:) you are fat and 2:) you have friends/family that are fat. The genetic argument is a whole different beast with numerous mammal species undergoing dwarfism as an adaptation to hot environments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann%27s_rule

Bergmann's rule is an ecogeographic principle that states that within a broadly distributed taxonomic clade, populations and species of larger size are found in colder environments, and species of smaller size are found in warmer regions. Although originally formulated in terms of species within a genus, it has often been recast in terms of populations within a species. It is also often cast in terms of latitude. The rule is named after nineteenth-century German biologist Carl Bergmann, who described the pattern in 1847, though he was not the first to notice it. Bergmann's rule is most often applied to mammals and birds which are endotherms, but some researchers have also found evidence for the rule in studies of ectothermic species[2][3] such as the ant Leptothorax acervorum. While Bergmann's rule appears to hold true for many mammals and birds, there are exceptions.[4][5][6]

Too many factors involved in the study to draw a certain conclusion. Such as the clothing that is being worn and the health of the individual. 1:1 all things being equal the lower weight individual will last longer (unconsciousness and/or death) in my opinion in a timed experiment.

These experiments are unethical so we will never know verbatim. Lower BMI is also connected with greater longevity and quality of living all things equal.

I'm assuming you are rushing to judgement because 1:) you are fat and 2:) you have friends/family that are fat. The genetic argument is a whole different beast with numerous mammal species undergoing dwarfism as an adaptation to hot environments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann%27s_rule

I'm pretty sure Ginx is an active person (Sking winter swimming summer) so i dont think weight/ heat is a problem for him.

Fair enough, apologies if this is the case. Next time i'll keep it strictly professional.

I'm 6 foot and 165 pounds and I hate the heat, especially when it's abnormal or outside its designated season.

I don't think anyone here dislikes heat because of their physical condition honestly.

let's pull a sept 1961 and an oct 2007

I was in the seventh grade in 1961...School was hot but I was young and it didn't matter...1961 had one of the best White Christmas's NYC ever had...September 1970 was hot also with a late heat wave...Snow fell just before Christmas that year also...2007 was a throw away year...

Yup, this is the best weather you can have (for comfort at least). It's why I dream of moving to San Diego at the end of every winter.

Always wanted to live in SD but the weather is too boring. I mean it's perfect outside weather but rarely anything exciting happens weather-wise.

Archived