12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Sat (Jan 22) coastal snow?

burgertime

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I cant believe how cold temps are right up to the coast. 26 degrees with moderate snow falling in Cherry point, NC near morehead city and Atlantic beach. I used to go their with my family every summer on vacation I just cant even imagine how it must be there right now. Snow at the beaches in the south always amazes me. Congrats to everyone along the coast!

Wow I cant believe how cold temps are right up to the coast. 26 degrees with moderate snow falling in Cherry point, NC near morehead city and Atlantic beach. I used to go their with my family every summer on vacation I just cant even imagine how it must be there right now. Snow at the beaches in the south always amazes me. Congrats to everyone along the coast!

It looks beautiful, but snow at the NC beaches is not that rare, especially north of Wimington. Snow at the SC, GA coast is truly amazing.

Its amazing how well the Euro did on this event about 5 days ago... 6"+ bullseye looks to be around okacroke island where they are getting slammed currently. Wonder how MillzPirate is doing. I think hes on a 5 post limit, so if somebody could take that off him so he can post some nice Obs at okacroke island that would be great!

io3vp4.gif

As Gomer Pyle would say: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise! Do not think anyone expected quite this much there.....

The real issue was temps, they busted high, nothing showed this area below 0C at the surface till about 6pm tonight, obviously a miss in that department

WSW up!

mhx.png

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC

143 PM EST SAT JAN 22 2011

...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS EXPECTED TODAY INTO THIS EVENING...

.LOW PRESSURE WELL OFFSHORE WILL MOVE ALONG THE SOUTHEAST COAST

TODAY...RESULTING IN SNOW ACCUMULATIONS FOR EASTERN NORTH

CAROLINA COASTAL AREAS.

NCZ081-093>095-222300-

/O.UPG.KMHX.WW.Y.0003.000000T0000Z-110123T0300Z/

/O.NEW.KMHX.WS.W.0002.110122T1843Z-110123T0300Z/

MAINLAND HYDE-CRAVEN-PAMLICO-CARTERET-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW BERN...HAVELOCK...VANCEBORO...

ORIENTAL...ALLIANCE...BAYBORO...ARAPAHOE...MINNESOTT BEACH...

VANDEMERE...STONEWALL...MOREHEAD CITY...BEAUFORT...EMERALD ISLE...

NEWPORT

143 PM EST SAT JAN 22 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY HAS ISSUED

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST

THIS EVENING. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* ACCUMULATION: TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE

EXPECTED THROUGH THIS EVENING.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO THIS EVENING.

* IMPACTS: HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE THIS AFTERNOON

AND LINGER INTO EARLY SUNDAY. SLIPPERY CONDITIONS WILL BE

POSSIBLE ON ROADWAYS...ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW

ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS

Congrats Cape Lookout

post-382-0-02053000-1295726388.png

Not to still your thread and I hope you guys get slammed. :snowman:

I have family living on Oak Island but the snow doesn't seem to be quite making it to them. I was thinking this storm being stronger on the coast may bode well to help it bomb up north and hold the confluence in better for the next storm coming Tuesday.

Folk's I'm just getting **BARELY** clipped w/the occasional snow "flzzard", a dusting here and there, under trees, or spots that get some dustings....

Though hey, look at it this way.. I saw some flakes.. :thumbsup:

US Coasties, via My memory and Climo, our "good heavy" wet snows usually comes in the next 2 months... If the set-up is right... :guitar: Que music.....

Jimmy buffet,HEY!, It's snowing in Margereta-ville...

At least some can say WE got to see rare flakes for us peeps, As we are mostly Hurricane guys, (I'm at least one as bad as Josh).. :whistle:

BOT , 25-30 miles would of made a huge difference, especially those on the inside Long bay, if this Low shifted 20-30 miles westward,,, Lordy 50... Though Pender/Onslow, and points north to OBX, are cashing in on this, *Coastal Special*, and enjoy, please post a few pics....

Latest Radar/current Obs.

30.1 °F Overcast

Windchill:17 °F

Humidity:68%

Dew Point:21 °F

Wind:21.3 mph from the North

Wind Gust:21.3 mph

Pressure:29.82 in (Rising)

post-2767-0-40905700-1295726852.gif

Oh come on kanc2001, It ain't over till the Fat Lady sings.....

We've a more "near misses" that we've had the past 5 or 6 years...

And a Late lil X-mas snow....

Gut feeling, we'll get our big dog this year.... :weight_lift:

AWESOME! http://www.bogueinle...livepiercam.htm

Just to reiterate, these dates in Feb./early Mar have had 2"+ snows at CHS and /or SAV:

Feb.: 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14-15, 15, 21-22, 25, 28; Mar.: 4, 4, 4

I especially am emphasizing 2/8-15 as the most concentrated peak of the entire winter based on frequency. No period during Dec. and Jan. has anything close to this high a frequency over just an 8 day period. And these are just the 2"+ snows. With renewed AO blocking likely based on a combo of severe Dec. AO blocking (which often comes back late in winter) and a quite possible sudden stratospheric warming about to occur (which often leads to strongly -AO within a couple of weeks) and with models showing a solid +PNA/more Arctic airmasses plunging down over the next few weeks, there's much reason to not give up this early on this winter. Fwiw, the 12Z Euro has the coldest air to date for many in the SE coming near the end of the month. By the way, the median date for 2"+ snows at CHS/SAV isn't even until ~2/10! I'm not predicting anything. I'm just saying there's little reason to already give up. One thing that MAY be playing in our favor is the recent quieting of the sun as well as increased volcanic activity. During periods like this, there's reason to believe that big snows are more concentrated than the longterm average as they were during the late 1700's/early 1800's.

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0428 PM CST SAT JAN 22 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...OUTER BANKS OF ERN NC

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 222228Z - 230030Z

BANDS OF HEAVY SNOW WITH OBSERVED RATES FROM 1 TO 2 IN/HR ALONG THE

OUTER BANKS WILL DIMINISH QUICKLY/SHIFT OFFSHORE JUST AFTER 00Z.

SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 IN/HR HAVE BEEN REPORTED ACROSS ERN NC

WITHIN BANDS OF HEAVY SNOW GRADUALLY SHIFTING EWD /PER RECENT RADAR

IMAGERY/. THESE SNOW BANDS WERE IN ASSOCIATION WITH A VIGOROUS SHORT

WAVE TROUGH NOW JUST OFF THE CAROLINA COAST. STRONG UVV COINCIDENT

WITH THE DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE /CENTERED AROUND 600 MB PER LATEST

NAM AND RUC FORECAST SOUNDINGS/ WILL REMAIN SUPPORTIVE OF INTENSE

SNOWFALL RATES. AS THE SHORT WAVE TROUGH SHIFTS FARTHER

OFFSHORE...HEAVY SNOW SHOULD RAPIDLY END OVER LAND BETWEEN 00-01Z

/PER LATEST HRRR AND SREF GUIDANCE/.

..GRAMS.. 01/22/2011

A guy on another forum I post on posted some pics and an update from Buxton, NC. Said he has 10" now and it is still snow heavily; and I trust him being accurate and the pics confirm that at the time before it started snowing heavily they already had 4"+. Neat little storm and awesome to see it get the coast. Honestly, with what this storm is doing, we have a real shot at everyone in NC having double digit snowfall season totals this year.

A guy on another forum I post on posted some pics and an update from Buxton, NC. Said he has 10" now and it is still snow heavily; and I trust him being accurate and the pics confirm that at the time before it started snowing heavily they already had 4"+. Neat little storm and awesome to see it get the coast. Honestly, with what this storm is doing, we have a real shot at everyone in NC having double digit snowfall season totals this year.

The models weren't showing that much snow, were they? Just something to think about for Tuesday.

Want to link us up? :thumbsup:

Archived