joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sat (Jan 22) coastal snow?

burgertime

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think right now the big issue is just going to be how close to the coast does that low get when it bombs. The good news is that the models have it bombing. I'll bet the 00z Euro comes in closer the coast with this one but only time will tell. Someone with more knowledge can chime in with some real thoughts.

Yes, hello a little more info please. Is the threat getting better or worse, meaning, snow or no snow? It sounds like the Euro just showed less snow, but a go. When should other models get on board?

StormSC, I think what foothills meant in the other thread is that the EURO is slightly stronger with the low and the precip field is trending west with the heavier qpf. .75 just off MYR. 850's look ok, may be some surface issues though. But i'd like to hear what I met has to say in this thread, because I'm far from skilled on this, lol

StormSC, I think what foothills meant in the other thread is that the EURO is slightly stronger with the low and the precip field is trending west with the heavier qpf. .75 just off MYR. 850's look ok, may be some surface issues though. But i'd like to hear what I met has to say in this thread, because I'm far from skilled on this, lol

Gotcha...I know the other day I kept hearing "the coast will get slammed" and "foot of snow on the coast." It sparked my interest, but I couldn't get any other info on it. Just reading what the guys are saying and assuming I suppose.

FWIW, Allan posted a tidbit on it in his blog, and I'm sure he will continue to discuss it in later postings.

I am still watching a follow-up shortwave on the heels of this system that will drop into the southeast Saturday. The ECMWF and it’s Ensemble continue to show development closer to the coast than the GFS or Canadian model. In fact the 00z run once again shows some light snow across the NC/SC coastal plain and sections Saturday night and Sunday morning. If the 00z Euro were exactly right, we could be looking a nice little snow event for southeast NC, the Outer Banks, and eastern SC with perhaps some flurries as far northwest as the Triangle.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Coastal sections may see some snow this weekend, bigger storm possible next week - Raleigh Weather | Examiner.com

18z NAM says congrats Cape Lookout!

post-382-0-44441800-1295471220.jpg

Go figure, Euro further offshore, NAM closer to the coast. The parcel in question is in a data sparse area south of AK, Euro ingest likely came from over Russia that put it onto the threat a couple days ago, and we could see it trend back. A couple of the GGEM ens members, 9 & 17 were nice hits, especially for coastal sections. As stated earlier by many, the closer you are to the coast, the better, especially true for SE NC and NE SC folks.

may have to make the short trip Saturday night if this actually materializes

UGH so close. Still 78hrs out so plenty of time to trend. Even a 50mile trend west would get us on the coast. Looks like temps are plenty cold enough and wouldnt be a problem right?

Right, ALL SNOW per the 0z ECMWF...

jrZbV.gif

From this morning's Euro run:

MYR: 0.30 with the bulk occurring Sat evening. Upper levels cold enough for snow. GFS and NAM suggest sfc wet bulbs would support snow Sat evening, Euro sfc temps are borderline for snow (but it may have a warm bias with the sfc temps, not sure).

ILM: 0.33, otherwise, everything else is similar

Looks to me like the immediate coast would be just cold enough for snow. All comes down to precip. Euro has been persistent with showing light precip along the coast and a little inland, but not much support from the other models. The incoming wave has trended stronger, is strengthening as it approaches the coast, and has a good track for the SC coast up to Cape Hatteras. If you can keep this look that the Euro is showing, you've got a good shot at seeing some flakes fly.

18z NAM says congrats Cape Lookout!

post-382-0-44441800-1295471220.jpg

Go figure, Euro further offshore, NAM closer to the coast. The parcel in question is in a data sparse area south of AK, Euro ingest likely came from over Russia that put it onto the threat a couple days ago, and we could see it trend back. A couple of the GGEM ens members, 9 & 17 were nice hits, especially for coastal sections. As stated earlier by many, the closer you are to the coast, the better, especially true for SE NC and NE SC folks.

may have to make the short trip Saturday night if this actually materializes

my interest is definitely perked up, interesting TWC continues (36 hours now) to advertise mixed precip here on Sat, with no mention by anyone else locally, not even of a possibility.

my interest is definitely perked up, interesting TWC continues (36 hours now) to advertise mixed precip here on Sat, with no mention by anyone else locally, not even of a possibility.

Believe it or not the weather chick on WMBF news Saturday evening made notice to a potential on this Saturday. That was when I started looking on here for any discussion. I thought she had lost her mind. You are right though...no one is speaking of this potential!

UGH so close. Still 78hrs out so plenty of time to trend. Even a 50mile trend west would get us on the coast. Looks like temps are plenty cold enough and wouldnt be a problem right?

And for that, you need the trough to go neg tilt earlier, similar to what this run of the NAM showed, but sooner, i.e. over N FL/E AL. There is little doubt at this point we will see development on the tail end, tip of the hat to the EC for that one. Now we just need it to trend closer to the coast and deeper, and for that we need this wave to go neg tilt earlier. 0z ECMWF was neutral at 84 hrs over the mouth of the MS, neutral over the FL panhandle at 90, and neg tilt off the SE coast at 96 hrs. The 12z run reverted back to previous Euro runs in that it did not take on a neg tilt, even off the SE coast at 90hrs, just neutral orientation. This run of the NAM is similar to prior EC runs, excluding todays 12z, in that there is a slight neg tilit in the 78 and 84hrs panel. Furthermore, this run missed the phase with the trough and left some energy back hanging over FL, and maybe even some left over TX. We need that energy to come into play in order to intesify this backside parcel, and possibly give a more favorable orientation, and resultant closer to the coast scenario.

The miss @ 42hrs (energy over the Carolinas and GA is separated from the energy over the OH Valley and PA)

nam_500_042m.gif

I'm starting to have a good feeling about this one....much more so than the event next week. I think some could be in for a nice surprise here.

Yeah, I got the feeling, but it is not good for us... Immediate coastal sections do much better in these setups where development occurs along a stalled front off the SE coast. QPF drops off rapidly as you get away from the coast, and that is given we do see moisture get slung back, which is still in question. For us, we want as much junk leftover in the trunk as possible from the UL trough moving through the NE on Friday, we literally want a strung out mess from that system. While the folks in the MA and NE won't be happy, a weaker system for them implies less phasing, and a greater chance the front stalls in N FL. Also, that could, and I stress could, leave some energy back over TX that would interact with our wave. Still a ways out and this could go either further offshore, or closer to the coast... :snowman:

Yeah, I got the feeling, but it is not good for us... Immediate coastal sections do much better in these setups where development occurs along a stalled front off the SE coast. QPF drops off rapidly as you get away from the coast, and that is given we do see moisture get slung back, which is still in question. For us, we want as much junk leftover in the trunk as possible from the UL trough moving through the NE on Friday, we literally want a strung out mess from that system. While the folks in the MA and NE won't be happy, a weaker system for them implies less phasing, and a greater chance the front stalls in N FL. Also, that could, and I stress could, leave some energy back over TX that would interact with our wave. Still a ways out and this could go either further offshore, or closer to the coast... :snowman:

At 500mb the GFS looks better than the NAM...might be a better run for the coastal areas.

i know its clique, but does this at all compare to Dec '89? thanks

i know its clique, but does this at all compare to Dec '89? thanks

Similar in that is was development on the tail end, but the H5 maps looked sig better for that event compared to this one. I don't have link handy, but I did check them out on the PSU e-wall site a couple days ago, when the Euro was showing a more favorable solution, and I used that for the comparison.

What would it take to get this whole process to move 200 miles or so west? Is that even physically possible?

Good question CR (are we on a first name basis yet, Chris here)... Physically, it is almost impossible to move this 200 miles west, while it could much easier go 200 miles east. Where and to what extent development happens depends on several factors. First is the piece of energy that is coming onshore in British Columbia as I type this, second is the PVA tail (aka frontal system) from the system to our north that will be grazing the MA and NE on Friday. And the last piece of the puzzle, which is related to the Friday system is what gets left back, does anything, don't know... :huh: The quicker the trough axis goes neg tilt, the closer to the coast the low will be, period, and a negative tilt orientation is still in question as the GFS and GGEM do not show that, nor did the 12z European. Previous ECMWF runs had it going neg off the SE coast, too late to draw it back though. What we want is a miss for the NE system and a draped quasi-stationary front along N FL, with some energy hanging back in TX that coupled with a sharp sw into the central plains would be interesting to say the least, and a closer/deeper to the coast scenario more likely to throw appreciable QPF inland. This is not out of the guidance envelope in terms of possibilities, but less than 20%. :)

Archived