• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sat (Jan 22) coastal snow?

burgertime

Good question CR (are we on a first name basis yet, Chris here)... Physically, it is almost impossible to move this 200 miles west, while it could much easier go 200 miles east. Where and to what extent development happens depends on several factors. First is the piece of energy that is coming onshore in British Columbia as I type this, second is the PVA tail (aka frontal system) from the system to our north that will be grazing the MA and NE on Friday. And the last piece of the puzzle, which is related to the Friday system is what gets left back, does anything, don't know... :huh: The quicker the trough axis goes neg tilt, the closer to the coast the low will be, period, and a negative tilt orientation is still in question as the GFS and GGEM do not show that, nor did the 12z European. Previous ECMWF runs had it going neg off the SE coast, too late to draw it back though. What we want is a miss for the NE system and a draped quasi-stationary front along N FL, with some energy hanging back in TX that coupled with a sharp sw into the central plains would be interesting to say the least, and a closer/deeper to the coast scenario more likely to throw appreciable QPF inland. This is not out of the guidance envelope in terms of possibilities, but less than 20%. :)

Ok, I gotcha. These systems that form just offshore are always tricky to forecast. The Jan 2000 storm showed that in a big way (not saying this will be that), but this situation as you describe it is certainly fraught with great complexity...so much so that no model is capable of precisely resolving it. Now at least, I'm fully aware of what to watch for. Let the games begin!

Oh, and I'm Jason. Nice to meet you. :)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might just stay up for the NAM tonight, unless I go to bed early out of boredom and apathy from watching my Wolfpack get destroyed by Duke.

If you're staying up with the hopes that this thing is going to trend inland, then I'm afraid you're going to have more disappointment on top of the play of the 'Pack (I'm a Pack fan too, by the way, and I like the way we have played in the 2nd half but I'm afraid it's too much to overcome).

Anyway, I don't think there is any chance that this affects anyone away from the immediate coast, and even that might be tough. The genesis of this system offshore (as opposed to over the Gulf) and the kicker on it's heels means it will have virtually no chance of throwing moisture back inland.But that is just my very humble opinion. I would be happy to be wrong.

If you're staying up with the hopes that this thing is going to trend inland, then I'm afraid you're going to have more disappointment on top of the play of the 'Pack (I'm a Pack fan too, by the way, and I like the way we have played in the 2nd half but I'm afraid it's too much to overcome).

Anyway, I don't think there is any chance that this affects anyone away from the immediate coast, and even that might be tough. The genesis of this system offshore (as opposed to over the Gulf) and the kicker on it's heels means it will have virtually no chance of throwing moisture back inland.But that is just my very humble opinion. I would be happy to be wrong.

Being a Pack fan has taught me well how to deal with disappointment. It has prepared me for chasing winter storms in the SE. More often than not, you're not going to get the result you desire, while at the same time watching the Blue Devis (mid-Atlantic) and Tarheels (northeast) win title after title (snowstorms).

I was kidding about staying up for the NAM, as I'll be up since it comes out soon. :). But yeah, I think we have little chance inland, but the reason we all like weather is because we just never know. We'll see....

Being a Pack fan has taught me well how to deal with disappointment. It has prepared me for chasing winter storms in the SE. More often than not, you're not going to get the result you desire, while at the same time watching the Blue Devis (mid-Atlantic) and Tarheels (northeast) win title after title (snowstorms).

I was kidding about staying up for the NAM, as I'll be up since it comes out soon. :). But yeah, I think we have little chance inland, but the reason we all like weather is because we just never know. We'll see....

at-least you guys have the football card, something Duke does not... :arrrg:

Well said, well said. Being a Pack fan is much like being a snow lover in the south. :axe:

Archived