joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, many of us, including myself, were asking for this last night at this time when the GFS showed a Miller B that was only going to give us 3 to 5 inches of snow with up to a foot not far away on Pa border. We said we'd rather take our chances with a rain storm. NAM says = Wish granted.gun_bandana.gif

Although this contradicts my prediction of a non-snow solution, it is interesting when you loop the last NAM run. It appears that we the 0C line begins to draw in east as the storm comes in and may draw it east enough to switch to snow as it pulls away. It's very small irrational details like this that keep me tracking the storm. Very desperate at this point.

Funny how people are making deterministic statements off of this run. NAM may be superior in thermal profiling but is it superior in track output? There is no way any distinctive forecast could be made off of this. The only thing reinforced by this run is that snow is unlikely.

The 500 mb low going negative tilt along with the surface high scooting east offshore

Delaware serve, at minimum, two mechanisms to ensure no meaningful snow near the

big cities of the MA.

Simply put, the NAM is advertising a heat pump.

The 500 mb low going negative tilt along with the surface high scooting east offshore

Delaware serve, at minimum, two mechanisms to ensure no meaningful snow near the

big cities of the MA.

We are still confused. We need some more weird analogies to explain this NAM run.

big cities of the MA.

I really think, at the very least, we should wait till all the Oz runs come out before tossing out such statements.

. Everything is far from certain. In past 24 hours, this board has swayed from a blizzard in Hagersterstown with heavy rain/snow mix in the cities, to a rain storm for all, to a glancing blow of snow but only if you are east of Dulles airport, , to a snowstorm for Norfolk and Ocean City but not us back here, to nothing for nobody on East Coast, and then back to a rain storm with snow only possible back in Pittsburgh.

In other words, everyone on here should be very, very, very cautious about what they extrapolate from any one model run until at least tomorrow.

I really think, at the very least, we should wait till all the Oz runs come out before tossing out such statements.

. Everything is far from certain. In past 24 hours, this board has swayed from a blizzard in Hagersterstown with heavy rain/snow mix in the cities, to a rain storm for all, to a glancing blow of snow but only if you are east of Dulles airport, , to a snowstorm for Norfolk and Ocean City but not us back here, to nothing for nobody on East Coast, and then back to a rain storm with snow only possible back in Hagerstown.

In other words, everyone on here should be very, very, very cautious about what they extrapolate from any one model run until at least tomorrow.

Fixed

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAM80km/NAM_Khgr.txt

Garrett County kills with that track. I'm sure Phin won't object to putting us all up there for a day or two.:hug:

OMG if i could find a place to crash near Wisp I would have the time of my life. Just got my new powder ski's today (Atomic Access) from Alpine Ski shop in Sterling. I have a personal reason why I would much rather have a driving rainstorm then OTS, at least with the driving rainstorm it is probably SHeeting snow out at TImberline and Wisp and I can get out there next weekend to enjoy it.

OMG if i could find a place to crash near Wisp I would have the time of my life. Just got my new powder ski's today (Atomic Access) from Alpine Ski shop in Sterling. I have a personal reason why I would much rather have a driving rainstorm then OTS, at least with the driving rainstorm it is probably SHeeting snow out at TImberline and Wisp and I can get out there next weekend to enjoy it.

They get snow no matter what. Even a big coastal will create a NW flow off the lakes and give them a few days of LES.

Actually we don't know what we're getting. The 21Z sref were way east with the gfs, the euro was east. The 00Z nam west with the ggem. The 18Z gfs looked goofy and I doubt it's right but the nam may also not be right. I think an inland track makes a little more sense as there seems to be room for enough amplification for such a solution but that's just a guess and could be wrong.

They get snow no matter what. Even a big coastal will create a NW flow off the lakes and give them a few days of LES.

Talked to a friend this week who was on the lake with his snow vehicle this past weekend. Deep ice.

But synoptic snows are even better than the LES out that way. More water content, loads up the trees and forests. Great for hiking.

People are being a bit nuts over this storm. Calling for an OTS miss or an inland rainer and then claiming victory when a model shows the opposite is pretty silly.

For those of you who are saying that this just reinforces the FACT that snow is unlikely need to...i don't know...there have been just as many snow solutions or OTS in the last 24 hrs as inland runners and rainstorms. Give it a break guys...its still 3 days out...and either the inland, coastal, or ots are still possibilities.

PSU or someone

just saw the EURO today for the first time. Looks like a great track and good Low. Why is the precip to the west so paltry?

Baroclinic made a really good post explaining that in detail a few pages back and he did it much more eloquently and in more detail then I could so I suggest you go back and read it.

I'll report back with conditions at Wisp when I'm there next weekend. guitar.gif

I am a little buzzed right now, but I looked at the NAM first and was like YES!!! then came on here and read through the last few pages and was laughing my arse off. The NAM was a great run for this area and a pretty darn good one for DC and Baltimore also. The idea of a front end thump has been gone for a while now, temps in front are just not supportive. But the NAM is tracking that low ENE the last 6 hours and judging from the track of the H5 and H7 lows is about to pummel northern VA into Maryland with a changeover to heavy wet snow.

I'll report back with conditions at Wisp when I'm there next weekend. guitar.gif

if they get more then 15" of snow this week I will be somewhere out there next weekend myself. I am at my brothers in Reston right now, were going to Seven Springs tomorrow to enjoy the powder from a few days ago. Back to tequila shots!!!

Archived