• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

I know that the Euro's shift east over the last 24 hours may not be dramatic, but central MD went fro 2+ inches of liquid to 0.5 inches. If this northern kicker that seems to be showing up on the models today is for real, things may trend even more easterly. Hopefully, the kicker will be slower/weaker so as not to push the storm too far OTS.

FWIW, JB is going with the GGEM/JMA as they support his view that the storm is coming up the east coast.

MDstorm

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you were stating that the mean is better than the parts that go into it... and i was just stating that then you must like the mean cause its good for us... thats all

yeah but my point was if you take a warm solution and an ots solution and combine them they might be good but the model doesnt even actually show that when it runs. yes.. i realize a member or three might but there do seem to be two distinct camps still and the mean is just going in between them.

Going back to what Baroclinic_Instability said earlier about how difficult this will be for the models...

According to the NAM, the energy for the Wednesday storm is not out of the Northern Rockies until 6z (1 A.M.) Monday. This makes me feel confident that relatively large model fluctuations will continue until the last 48 hours leading up to the storm. This has been pretty typical for this year anyways.

I know that the Euro's shift east over the last 24 hours may not be dramatic, but central MD went fro 2+ inches of liquid to 0.5 inches. If this northern kicker that seems to be showing up on the models today is for real, things may trend even more easterly. Hopefully, the kicker will be slower/weaker so as not to push the storm too far OTS.

FWIW, JB is going with the GGEM/JMA as they support his view that the storm is coming up the east coast.

MDstorm

JB wont budge from his thinking no matter how bad it makes him look

6 of the 11 look good for at least 3"... which many of us I am sure would take

some of them (the precip hole ones) are basically all deform/backend/comma/whatnot type snow which you can believe in at your own peril.

Here is what Blacksburg is saying....

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA618 PM EST SAT JAN 22 2011 .SYNOPSIS...HIGH PRESSURE WILL REMAIN OVER THE REGION TONIGHT AND SUNDAY KEEPINGARCTIC AIR IN PLACE. THIS AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL REMAIN INCONTROL THROUGH LATE MONDAY BEFORE LIFTING NORTHEAST AND WEAKENINGBY MONDAY NIGHT. COMPLEX LOW PRESSURE WILL THEN DEVELOP ACROSS THESOUTHEAST STATES BY EARLY TUESDAY...AND TRACK NORTHEAST ALONG THECOAST...WITH THE LIKELIHOOD OF A SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATING SNOW FORPARTS OF THE REGION.

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...ECMWF REMAINS THE MOST CONSISTENT MODEL

ALTHOUGH SLIGHTLY SHIFTING THE TRACK OF THE SURFACE LOW TO THE EAST.

SREF/GEFS AND OPERATIONAL NAM/GFS ARE STILL ALL MORE PROGRESSIVE

WITH THE SYSTEM. WILL STAY CLOSER TO THE TIMING OF THE ECMWF WHICH

BRINGS IMPRESSIVE LIFT INTO THE REGION BY LATE IN THE DAY TUESDAY

WITH STRONG ONSHORE LOW LEVEL FLOW AND ISENTROPIC LIFT. ECMWF

PARTIAL THICKNESSES SUGGEST THERE WILL BE A ZONE OF MIXED

PRECIPITATION...POSSIBLY IN THE EASTERN COUNTY WARNING AREA OR

FARTHER EAST...BETWEEN THE HEAVY SNOW AND THE RAIN. WAY TOO EARLY AT

THIS TIME TO PINPOINT THE PRECIPITATION TYPE OR AMOUNTS SO WILL

CONTINUE TO HIGHLIGHT THREAT OF SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER IN THE

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK. STAYED WELL BELOW GUIDANCE FOR MAXIMUM

TEMPERATURES ON TUESDAY WITH STRONG CAD IN PLACE.

ONCE LOW MOVES EAST OF THE FORECAST AREA IT WILL CONTINUE TO QUICKLY

DEEPEN. THE COMBINATION OF THE PRESSURE GRADIENT AND PRESSURE RISES

WILL RESULT IN VERY STRONG WINDS ON WEDNESDAY.

ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT...WE WILL BE ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE SYSTEM WITH

THE ASSOCIATED DRY SLOT MOVING NORTH ALONG THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE

APPALACHIANS. ACROSS SE WV AND AREAS SOUTH INTO THE NORTHERN

MOUNTAINS OF NC...STRONG NORTHWEST FLOW WILL ALLOW FOR THE

CONTINUATION OF ISOLATED TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS IN THIS AREA.

THESE SNOW SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE...BUT SLOWLY DECREASE IN

COVERAGE AS WE PROGRESS THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT. THERE MAY BE ENOUGH

MILDER AIR IN SOME LOCATIONS THURSDAY FOR THE SHOWERS TO BE RAIN

SHOWERS OR SNOW SHOWERS MIXED WITH RAIN SHOWERS.

I know the models are still trying to find a way to rain on our parade, but someone - somewhere could get a bomb dropped on them with this system. I believe she's gonna slow down (unlike the last 4 N/Easters) and crawl up the coast. Here around the beltway, the ever present line always plays with our emotions. With the storm tracks, in a year like the one we are experiencing, not on our side I am not anticipating a white Wednesday. However, I'm not ready to jump ship this far out ether. Justification for this storm's obedience three days away is not an easy call...yet. I've been led astray too many times this year. So tonight I will ignore any negative signs of approaching doom and concentrate on freezing my *ss off!

but see, that's been my whole mantra of the season

if there's a way to miss us, it will, whatever it takes

NAM is still encouraging, but we saw that snow hole pop up before the storm before last (3 days before I believe) and I posted that it was a red flag

well, another red flag

if nothing else, my theory that some winters it just won't/can't snow no matter what the set up will be tested, for better or for worse

Persistence forecasting has limitations, mainly that at anytime the pattern can change and it is impossible to know until after the fact. You also seem to think that persistence only works for DC and Baltimore for some reason because when something happens that goes against the seasonal pattern somewhere else you do not seem to find that as evidence against a seasonal pattern. So somehow persistence works in Baltimore but not if were forecasting for State College, or Atlanta or CHicago. Not sure what your scientific argument for that is. Finally, there is statistical evidence to disprove your theory of persistence forecasting. I pointed out 1958 the other day, but more recently in 2009 we had barely any snowfall all winter then DC/Baltimore eastward got a MECS in early March. 2007 was a blowtorch until the end of January and then it was cold and snow from then on with several snow and ice storms. Just looking at records for my location, 1992/93 sticks out when Manchester had virtually no snow going into the second week of February and then got 39" from that point on. THere is a place for factoring the pattern into expectations and it is especially good for long range forecasting but you are misusing it badly here by acting like there is no way for a storm to do anything other then what past events would dictate. It may work for a while but it will eventually go down in flames when a storm does not follow the pattern.

euro also had surface temps to warm as well

no real comparison.. fresh arctic air, much colder 850s, if it was off on the surface it was off a whole lot less than it shows with the storm upcoming. they were also right on the nw edge of the heavier and got deformed.. that's pretty classic for "easy" overperformance.

im not sure i'd take much from the over qpf'ing.. euro was pretty consistent in giving them snow and had significantly higher water content *just* offshore.

I think it just says stuff like temps and QPF do bust so flipping out over one or two degrees at 90 hours and acting like it cannot change is a total weenie move.

ots for us, not for ENE

and the beat goes on

even with the differences between storms (and yes this one did look better and i guess still does) the slp tracks are fairly consistent. i dont have a case study and it could be just this yr but it seems everything is forming too far east to the south of us be it initially in the ngom or off the se coast. then you add in a bit slower development than modeled (no explosiveness till in miller b zone) you run into a lot of problems here. im not ready to throw out the wound up and close solution but i think this one is gaining traction and perhaps quickly, tho 0z could completely disprove that assumption.

sref pretty progressive.. 500 track sorta there but qpf naso much

I'm afraid things are lining up for the familiar type screw job. Things more progressive with precip lining up SW to NE as opposed to the uniform soaking that was depicted yesterday. What might be telling is the GGEM ensembles mean. Even though the GGEM operational had high qpf across the region, the ensemble mean looks painfully all too familiar.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/cmcensemble/12zggemensemblep96144.gif

MDstorm

I'm afraid things are lining up for the familiar type screw job. Things more progressive with precip lining up SW to NE as opposed to the uniform soaking that was depicted yesterday. What might be telling is the GGEM ensembles mean. Even though the GGEM operational had high qpf across the region, the ensemble mean looks painfully all too familiar.

http://raleighwx.ame...emblep96144.gif

MDstorm

same problem all winter.. too many shortwaves and not enough ridging.

Archived