• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

So...BI...are you buying this extreme western flank cut-off?

What is the explanation for the mechanism behind this?

There is no goliath HIGH to suppress moisture convergence at the

mid-levels. What is snuffing the juice on the west side of this

otherwise respectable-looking storm?

What is going on here?

It is a stretching deformation zone that develops in systems like this where the southern low becomes so deep it partially cuts off from the main belt of westerlies. I tried to crudely draw it up in central/western using the CMC as an example:

http://www.americanw...post__p__337959

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...BI...are you buying this extreme western flank cut-off?

What is the explanation for the mechanism behind this?

There is no goliath HIGH to suppress moisture convergence at the

mid-levels. What is snuffing the juice on the west side of this

otherwise respectable-looking storm?

What is going on here?

I'm not BI. There's a compact H5 low which tracks too far east. There is a SW ridge over the coast. Not a good h5 track, especially for a mini storm.

gfs_500_096s.gif

Also the western ridge comes barging east during the storm and that pushes the whole pattern east.

While I see your joke about the snow-hole, this is not really a jumper. The low is juiced in the GOM. It just misses, is all.

but see, that's been my whole mantra of the season

if there's a way to miss us, it will, whatever it takes

NAM is still encouraging, but we saw that snow hole pop up before the storm before last (3 days before I believe) and I posted that it was a red flag

well, another red flag

if nothing else, my theory that some winters it just won't/can't snow no matter what the set up will be tested, for better or for worse

I'm not BI. There's a compact H5 low which tracks too far east. There is a SW ridge over the coast. Not a good h5 track, especially for a mini storm.

Also the western ridge comes barging east during the storm and that pushes the whole pattern east.

The big player here is the dynamical interactions and the height field configuration.

Using the CMC as an example:

I poorly drew a ridge axis in the 500 hpa height field--and I drew an arrow which depicts the general flow of the northern stream westerlies as the northern branch "cuts" off the southern stream. A region of deformation (deforming) develops--in this case stretching deformation (shearing deformation is another kind--and both are a kinematic flow property of air). Note the 700 hpa region of stretching that develops.

Here is a "model" example of a perfect stretching deformation zone.

post-999-0-18886000-1295735763.jpg

post-999-0-21090600-1295735637.png

The big player here is the dynamical interactions and the height field configuration.

Using the CMC as an example:

I poorly drew a ridge axis in the 500 hpa height field--and I drew an arrow which depicts the general flow of the northern stream westerlies as the northern branch "cuts" off the southern stream. A region of deformation (deforming) develops--in this case stretching deformation (shearing deformation is another kind--and both are a kinematic flow property of air).

Here is a "model" example of a perfect stretching deformation zone.

post-999-0-18886000-1295735763.jpg

post-999-0-21090600-1295735637.png

Thanks

Is this is, also causes the H5 disturbance to shink and contract. The big troff in the MS Valley, becomes a golf ball of the VA coast. I know wavelegnths shorten during cyclogensis but comon!!

Thanks

Is this is, also causes the H5 disturbance to shink and contract. The big troff in the MS Valley, becomes a golf ball of the VA coast. I know wavelegnths shorten during cyclogensis but comon!!

Yeah exactly--it was what I was worried about during the play by play as it seemed this trough was going to elongate far too much--and the eventual southern PV max would be tiny and compact.

but see, that's been my whole mantra of the season

if there's a way to miss us, it will, whatever it takes

NAM is still encouraging, but we saw that snow hole pop up before the storm before last (3 days before I believe) and I posted that it was a red flag

well, another red flag

if nothing else, my theory that some winters it just won't/can't snow no matter what the set up will be tested, for better or for worse

It's kind of hard to take your theory seriously when you were using the same one last night to explain why a storm was gong to track 100 miles inland while now you are using to justify why the storm may track 200 miles OTS.

Is there some kind of magnetic snow shield over the MId-Atlantic? Short of that, you need some science to back up your assertion that this particular storm will be a miss just because no storm can track close enough to the Mid-Atlantic this year to give us snow.

I get your point about the overall pattern, but many of the previous years you speak of without a lot of snow were far milder and there were far less threats to track. We've basically had non-stop snow threats to track since mid December. I'm still thinking one of these is going to give us at least some snow.

Unfortunately, the GFS ensemble mean precip is also shifting east over the last 24 hours. Hard to believe what looked like a power packed moisture-laden storm may be a whiff to the east here . :lightning:

MDstorm

What are you talking about? Clearly there's still disagreement with the models. And as we saw today there have been huge shifts in the GFS run-to-run. It went from Miller A to Miller B to Miller A OTS to Miller A NC coast and OTS. In one day.

If a person was on-board this morning, I am not sure why the Euro and 18Z runs would have led him/her to jump ship. Those runs all had some promising aspects.

yeah i suppose depending on how you want to look at it tho im not sure why someone would have been on board for much this morning. ;)

Archived