Newest Member
    Dano62
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS ensemble mean looks nice.

Yes, the mean does look great. However, what are the individual members like that make that up? That is, are "warmer" solutions the reason the mean QPF is that high (but not necessarily good for snow)...while perhaps colder, offshore solutions are relatively dry? Not trying to come off negative, but an honest question here. I'd be curious if there are two camps of solutions in there.

Yes, the mean does look great. However, what are the individual members like that make that up? That is, are "warmer" solutions the reason the mean QPF is that high (but not necessarily good for snow)...while perhaps colder, offshore solutions are relatively dry? Not trying to come off negative, but an honest question here. I'd be curious if there are two camps of solutions in there.

There have been two camps for the last few cycles. The 00Z members are not out yet.

That said, this mean has a different look. The low traverses the south and then exits SE of DC. That is a good look and better than the old "hook and ladder" BS that tends to miss us. I bet the members will look better.

There have been two camps for the last few cycles. The 00Z members are not out yet.

Good point, that's true now that I look back and recall the past several cycles. That's always a concern, as is the case where you've got one great solution that skews things. I think with every model and their ensembles for this event, we've just about run the gamut of possibilities in the past few days!!

Precisely. Though I believe the Ensemble also represents a swing in the positive direction within the past 12 hours or so from what we saw earlier today. Earlier it was pretty much OTS or warm wet solution, with "threading the needle" as our only savior. Now it's becoming clear that the entire dynamic of the storm is changing with regards to timing and which features will be impacting the storm (i.e. originial HP now being shown as long off shore, with a possible New HP system taking precedence as the storm moves in?).

I swear, this is by far the most interesting winter without snow that I've ever been a part of in terms of model-watching.

Precisely. Though I believe the Ensemble also represents a swing in the positive direction within the past 12 hours or so from what we saw earlier today. Earlier it was pretty much OTS or warm wet solution, with "threading the needle" as our only savior. Now it's becoming clear that the entire dynamic of the storm is changing with regards to timing and which features will be impacting the storm (i.e. originial HP now being shown as long off shore, with a possible New HP system taking precedence as the storm moves in?).

I swear, this is by far the most interesting winter without snow that I've ever been a part of in terms of model-watching.

I definitely agree with this...though I'd add interesting and aggravating. Heck, it's like a baseball game where you're hammering the ball, tons of hits, lots of scoring opportunities, but you strand runners at 2nd and 3rd all the time, and have barely scratched out a run through almost 5 innings. Or if you prefer, like racking up yards in a football game but you've only scored a field goal by the half. Any other sports cliche comparisons are welcome!

While this -- http://www.weatherof...SIC@012_096.jpg -- may likely be rain for us....

THIS -- http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/135_100.gif -- would likely be snow

Well that looks interesting! Though how in the hell our thicknesses here are still well above 540 with the low bombed out off the coast of Maine, I have to wonder.

Archived