northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The strong banding will have the best ratios...so it helps to be in that as long as possible. I haven't really looked at BUFKIT much yet. I wouldn't go too crazy with ratios...maybe call it an avg of 12-15:1?

I think some of the ratios earlier were almost 20:1 down by the Catskills.

:)

LOL. Haven't even looked that'd be funny.

--

The NAM looks similar but probably east of the old GGEM and along the lines of the 12z UK maybe a smidge east. The NAM has had the most difficulty beyond 42-48 at 500, with a marked tendency to shear at that stage off the east coast. What'll be great is that this is the one time it's dead on and we just miss. Wouldn't surprise me if the others on average were west of the NAM position 30-50 miles.

We still need to see it shfit for other reasons one of which is we're limited with inflow unless it slides out under off NYC. It's come SE and kind of ends up off ACK we get what you see.

I just dont know how much time is left for it to trend. Anxious to see the other models particularly the GFS/EC.

The big problem is moisture. If we're going to head down this path it'd be better if we can get the mid levels to exit off Jersey.

Well it's a close scrape. It's close to jumping down this way at 700...east flow over my head at one point. But it's the NAM and outside of 42 it's been losing the show. It came way towards the other side, now I'll keep my fingers crossed that the others keep trending because this just blows for a lot of folks.

The trough gets squashed/rocketed north, and the storm snows still mainly miss. Almost hints at the 7/8h centers being just off the Cape towards 51ish.

Ski MRG not meaning to snap at you but the signature is an obvious joke and I kind of take offense whenever someone accuses me of being biased. For 5 runs now things haven't been looking so hot with the through and in the last 2-3 we're gradually seeing a focus offshore. That's not bias, it's actually stating what's pretty obvious.

Well Scott, as I've said before, I enjoy your analysis very much and certainly benefit from your insight. However, it strikes me that you derive a certain amount of glee in looking for ways that systems will fail. Nothing wrong with that, especially if thats what the tea leaves say. It just struck me that while your sig may be a joke the truth is often said in jest. Perhaps I should have stated things in a less accusatory way. When it comes to bias you are not likely to find someone more biased than myself as I always think there is a chance, however remote, for a system to deliver the goods. Sorry if I offended you, not my intent. That said, I still think this will produce here, models be damned.

The strong banding will have the best ratios...so it helps to be in that as long as possible. I haven't really looked at BUFKIT much yet. I wouldn't go too crazy with ratios...maybe call it an avg of 12-15:1?

Could be talking out of my azz here, but don't these setups scream needles outside of good banding?

I think some of the ratios earlier were almost 20:1 down by the Catskills.

I had "someone may get lucky with 20:1" in my original post, but edited it out before posting. It wouldn't shock me, but the band is weakening as it gets up here so I didn't want to be too aggressive. If it was me I think I'd go 15:1.

Could be talking out of my azz here, but don't these setups scream needles outside of good banding?

They usually have pretty good snowgrowth given the nature of the upper levels. I suppose if the forcing is shallow, it may result in flakes that aren't all that great, but these usually have at least decent snowgrowth..usually very good snowgrowth.

lol ... unlike Ray, I'll take it any way I can get it. Looks all the same on the ground and the stat book. :thumbsup:

I've said all day how satisifed I am with this pattern.....do I hate inverted troughs, sure......but the end result will be a couple inches of snow, followed by a potential bomb and arctic cold.

Nothing wrong with that.

No one says a word when I makes positive statements like that.

nws in upton said 15:1 or 20:1

From ALB's afd

QPF

RANGING FROM 0.30 TO 0.75 AT ALB. THE SNOW-LIQUID RATIOS ARE STILL

EXPECTED TO BE QUITE HIGH AT LEAST 15 TO 1 AND POSSIBLY EVEN HIGHER.

SO...EVEN MARGINAL QPF COULD RESULT IN 7 TO 9+ INCHES OF

SNOW...ESPECIALLY OVER A 24 HOUR PERIOD. THE KEY IN ATTAINING THE

HEAVIER SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL BE WHERE THE SNOW SHIELD PIVOTS AS THE

UPPER LOW TURN THE CORNER AND LIFTS NORTHEAST INTO SOUTHEAST NEW

ENGLAND.

SO...BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THERE IS STILL A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY DUE TO

WIDE RANGE IN QPF AMOUNTS AND EXPECTED HIGH SNOW-LIQUID RATIOS.

THEREFORE AS MENTIONED ABOVE...NO CHANGES TO THE CURRENT WINTER

STORM WATCH AT THIS TIME.

Archived