• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9

Baroclinic Zone

I do think the GFS could tuck the SLP a tad closer just looking at the 500 maps. It looks like it escapes a bit too far E at 36h.

Perhaps something like the problems models had with the Christmas weekend blizzard? Models had the surface low too far east compared to what the H5 maps projected it should have been all along.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

correct...there seems to be a misunderstanding as to what's behind the change. THe surface low probably being artificially displaced to the SE is giving some fits.

As you noted the mid level centers are now sliding along or under the coast which eventually leaves NE winds at many levels near the EMA area...impresive and cold 850mb winds off the water at 54.

There's very little inflow despite the mid-level track...if you look at 54h at H7, its like 10 knots...the baroclinic zone gets swiftly taken east long before this comes in so its an uphill battle. The lift comes from a combo of PVA and upper level divergence in conjunction with the inverted trough extending back form the escaping low to the east.

If we get the upper levels more robust, then we might be able to pull it back even further west which would probably increase the mid-level inflow.

Lol...we need a revote on who the biggest :weenie: is in this thread....I thought it was cpickles now I'm not so sure.

It is essentially the same as the 18z run.

You have an incredible knack for pointing out things as if they were common knowledge long after the fact.

the 48h 0z has the low ESE of the cape. The 18z GFS had the low at the same time in teh Maritimes. Not similar at all.

Both maps are attached.

Can't wait to hear Ray's enthusiasm of a part II Norlun/CCB Hybrid monster delivering 90% of his QPF.

Seriously though - hope this trend in the upper and mid level holds since I'm thinking T-1" is most likely for MBY from the first round.

any shift in the other meso scale models with mid level features .

I do think the GFS could tuck the SLP a tad closer just looking at the 500 maps. It looks like it escapes a bit too far E at 36h.

the energy that spawns the sfc low in the SE is decent and steers it out to sea. the trailing vort is what "pulls" the isobars back enabling another inverted trough. i'm not sure it will play out as depicted this way, but i don't think it's an asinine solution either.

You have an incredible knack for pointing out things as if they were common knowledge long after the fact.

the 48h 0z has the low ESE of the cape. The 18z GFS had the low at the same time in teh Maritimes. Not similar at all.

Both maps are attached.

They are both inverted troughs pointing at eastern ma. Net result is the same.

There's very little inflow despite the mid-level track...if you look at 54h at H7, its like 10 knots...the baroclinic zone gets swiftly taken east long before this comes in so its an uphill battle. The lift comes from a combo of PVA and upper level divergence in conjunction with the inverted trough extending back form the escaping low to the east.

If we get the upper levels more robust, then we might be able to pull it back even further west which would probably increase the mid-level inflow.

Right, the RGEM is probably the better case but we are really fighting a lack of in place moisture on tihs one agreed?

We still need some nip-tuck to get it to track ideally for more of us.

Pretty fascinating as the models played whack a mole in trying to pick the right s/w to develop.

the energy that spawns the sfc low in the SE is decent and steers it out to sea. the trailing vort is what "pulls" the isobars back enabling another inverted trough. i'm not sure it will play out as depicted this way, but i don't think it's an asinine solution either.

Thanks. Either way this has been a positive trend for my area since this AM.

Right, the RGEM is probably the better case but we are really fighting a lack of in place moisture on tihs one agreed?

We still need some nip-tuck to get it to track ideally for more of us.

Pretty fascinating as the models played whack a mole in trying to pick the right s/w to develop.

I'd take this solution in a heartbeat.

By the way, temps across most of the Cape are in the mid to upper teens, we only had forecasted lows in the upper 20s. Chatham still in the lower 20s, everywhere east of there is either 18F or lower. Amazing cold. It would be amazing if we can get that northern stream energy to dig more and amplify more, not happening though with the fast mid level polar jet flow downstream of the H5 trough.

What's funny is what we could be seeing is a trend for this gradually trending more ne with time...such that eventually we have a norlun right where god wants them...in coastal ME. Lol.

Yeah I think that was the one. Not sure that it matters but whatever. As long as it snows n Plymouth. :lol:

Phil what you said just wasn't right. Not trying to be a dick, but it's really not much like the 18z GFS. There was a run of the NAM a few days ago along these lines but it was one s/w earlier wedged on the NE side of the developing trough.

Like I said factually not right and it confused me and probably others. There were some faint hints of a low developing in TN and coming up last night but I don't think it's been modeled at any point recently.

Archived