• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January GENERAL BANTER

oconeexman

I highlighted my disagreement. Don't drag us into your petty, regional argument. As far as the pattern not being great for TN, go check the regional obs for SE TN on Christmas day. The pattern has been great for TN. We just had an incredibly cold December w/ quite a bit of snow relative to this time of year. For many of us, December will be talked about for many years to come. I'd pull up KTRI's numbers for you, but it's not worth the effort. :thumbsdown:

It's not my argument, another member's...I was merely stating they're (GA) not the only ones that aren't represented as much as NC. Why you got so defensive is beyond me. Why would I check the regional obs for SE TN? I didn't mention SE TN in my statement, only Western and Central TN. KTRI's numbers are irrelevant as KTRI is located in NE TN, as I'm almost positive you're aware, and that's obviously not what I was discussing. Bolding words are fun.:guitar:

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm the poster Batman's talking about since I proposed the banter thread.

I meant no regional "bias" whatsoever, and I'm baffled it was taken that way.

I simply didn't see why 2 pages on a thread about January storms and models were being dominated by discussion of a February and March forecast by someone who has already been pretty wrong about the winter.

Just seemed like a weird discussion to be having when models are running 24 hours from a winter weather event in the Southeast. My two cents only. :whistle:

Never meant to stifle discussion and I'm sorry he saw it that way. Carry on.

With regards to the "Carolinas bias", as others have said, the Carolinas get more snow on average, have more mets and a large met school, and have more visitors to the forum. I'm afraid it's going to be Carolina-slanted at times no matter how much anyone tries. That being said, I see as many "WHAT ABOUT NORTH GEORGIA??!?!?!?" posts as anything in the threads as I do Carolina posts.

Its hard to mention Middle Tennessee ( Nashville) because to be honest it is very hard to get a good snow here. This area is just situated in bad position. It takes everything right to make something even happen here. Our big snows come from L pressure riding up through Birmingham and then through ATL ect with H pressure situation well for the temp profile to support it . Foothills has done a pretty good job at including us in his posts.

It seems to me that our SE board has become a predominantly Carolina board this winter. That is fine. There are more SE members from there and several skilled contributing mets and weather hobbyist. However, it appears that some of the Carolina posters have little patience for posts that don't directly pertain to the Carolinas. This thread was started because to a large degree because some guys did not want to sort through posts about Kirk Mellish's thoughts for the remainder of the winter. It is January 4th and it was a January 2011 thread. If the discussion was about Andy Wood or some other Carolina TV or Radio met, I doubt there would have been complaints. I have sorted through discussions about what mets are saying on TV and Radio in Charlotte and Raleigh and other Carolina locations on numerous occassions. If the Mellish discussion was on a thread about a particular storm, I could understand, but it was a discussion about January and beyond on a January thread., C'mon man! Much more of this and we will be no different than the groups up north. Done complaining. That being said, I still think this board is an excellent source for weather info. and insight.

I can understand your frustration because the old timers here went through the same thing back in the wwbb days and early eastern days. Everything was focused on the mid atlantic and northeast. Virtually nothing was ever talked about with respect to ga/carolinas. Even if there was a big storm that was imminent we weren't talked about. It absolutely drove me crazy.

That only changed when we finally started having posters from our area show up and contribute. And frankly the same is going to hold true for tn. I've noticed more tn posters in our forum much more than in the past. Eventually you will likely have enough where a significant portion of discussion is focused on tn but it takes time. You can't expect someone from the carolinas or georgia who has virtually no experience on TN climo to comment much on it.

However, I'm not sure where this idea that people are lacking patience with tn posters. I haven't seen any of that and no one has reported it unless I missed it somehow. If there is any, we will deal with it. I/we won't have anyone mocking, shunning, or dismissing tn posters..especially if there is a legit threat there.

But just a word of advice from someone who has been in your shoes for quite a while until recently, no amount of complaining will really change anything. It has to be changed at the member level..ie members from tn, al/ms need to come on and contribute. Frankly, I wish there was more from TN..and alabama especially. Alabama is almost never discussed period because we don't have many from there who post. Which is a shame from where I sit because they are right next door.

I can understand your frustration because the old timers here went through the same thing back in the wwbb days and early eastern days. Everything was focused on the mid atlantic and northeast. Virtually nothing was ever talked about with respect to ga/carolinas. Even if there was a big storm that was imminent we weren't talked about. It absolutely drove me crazy.

That only changed when we finally started having posters from our area show up and contribute. And frankly the same is going to hold true for tn. I've noticed more tn posters in our forum much more than in the past. Eventually you will likely have enough where a significant portion of discussion is focused on tn but it takes time. You can't expect someone from the carolinas or georgia who has virtually no experience on TN climo to comment much on it.

However, I'm not sure where this idea that people are lacking patience with tn posters. I haven't seen any of that and no one has reported it unless I missed it somehow. If there is any, we will deal with it. I/we won't have anyone mocking, shunning, or dismissing tn posters..especially if there is a legit threat there.

But just a word of advice from someone who has been in your shoes for quite a while until recently, no amount of complaining will really change anything. It has to be changed at the member level..ie members from tn, al/ms need to come on and contribute. Frankly, I wish there was more from TN..and alabama especially. Alabama is almost never discussed period because we don't have many from there who post. Which is a shame from where I sit because they are right next door.

Well I live 15 miles from AL so I guess that's close enough. :arrowhead: And obviously the weather in AL is very important to people who live in GA since the weather we get comes directly from AL usually.

Well I live 15 miles from AL so I guess that's close enough. :arrowhead: And obviously the weather in AL is very important to people who live in GA since the weather we get comes directly from AL usually.

James Spann and his daily videos sort of make up for this though, he gives an excellent synopsis from an AL perspective. IMO even the NC mets do a good job forecasting for GA, but if we didn't have a handful of GA mets I'd be sorta miffed.

It's not my argument, another member's...I was merely stating they're (GA) not the only ones that aren't represented as much as NC. Why you got so defensive is beyond me. Why would I check the regional obs for SE TN? I didn't mention SE TN in my statement, only Western and Central TN. KTRI's numbers are irrelevant as KTRI is located in NE TN, as I'm almost positive you're aware, and that's obviously not what I was discussing. Bolding words are fun.:guitar:

Man, whatever is done is done. All that I am saying is please don't drag TN into a regional argument. I also disagreed w/ your statement which stated this(and included all of TN and was not regional specific until you corrected it on a future post):

"Agreed. GA is definitely more represented than SC, but I definitely agree that NC is most represented. TN isn't bad either but the patterns aren't that great for TN, so that's why they might be left out sometimes..."

Constructively, what I completely disagreed with is all of the bolded part. It was an excellent December for much of TN - so your statement is false. Places that have rarely gotten snow in the past two decades received it. The pattern has been excellent here. Now, some backyards were surely not covered, but that's the way it goes. I also disagree that folks here are left out of the conversation. Sometimes, conversation relates to how much winter weather an area is getting. We have had our share of the conversation. As for the pattern, it will be good for most.

Great post sir. I agree 100%.

i dont know - i have been here (well a lurker at ww, at eastern and here) for ages. i have never noticed nc dominating...a lot of times what comes into the carolinas has to come through al and ga first :devilsmiley: there are posters, pro mets and forecasters from all areas i think, mr bob in tn, several in atl and n ga as well as nc. most of the time, just by reading and looking at the maps you can figure out whats going on for most areas through the discussion. most se maps during snow events also include all areas. (we also discuss melish, james spann, etc)

the se thread has historically been the best, with little bickering and lots of banter. most of the forecasters, and even regular posters, are most familiar with the weather and climate in their area so i think its great so many mets and pro forecasters talk about such a wide range of locations :thumbsup:

+1 ~ seeing how I have been on the the same ride since 2001, I agree. I hated having to not post question back in the early days of Eastern or the late days at WWBB. When I did I got bitched at. But every since 2004 when eastern started taken off and posters around this area started posting. The reg thread was the way to go. The good old days. I guess this place as a lot of unspoken social norms.

We will never be like the MA or NE threads. :devilsmiley:

+1

The SE CREW is the best American has to offer :wub:

i dont know - i have been here (well a lurker at ww, at eastern and here) for ages. i have never noticed nc dominating...a lot of times what comes into the carolinas has to come through al and ga first :devilsmiley: there are posters, pro mets and forecasters from all areas i think, mr bob in tn, several in atl and n ga as well as nc. most of the time, just by reading and looking at the maps you can figure out whats going on for most areas through the discussion. most se maps during snow events also include all areas. (we also discuss melish, james spann, etc)

the se thread has historically been the best, with little bickering and lots of banter. most of the forecasters, and even regular posters, are most familiar with the weather and climate in their area so i think its great so many mets and pro forecasters talk about such a wide range of locations :thumbsup:

Great post :hug: There's nothing worse than scrolling past posts of bickering :gun_bandana:

I'm shocked CAE still has the possibility of something frozen in the discussion :o:lol:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...

THE GFS AND NAM SHOW A REINFORCING COLD FRONT FRIDAY. THE

PRECIPITATION CHANCE APPEARS LOW BECAUSE OF LITTLE MOISTURE IN A

DOWNSLOPE FLOW. SATURDAY SHOULD BE DRY AND COLD BEHIND THE FRONT.

CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW DURING THE SUNDAY TO TUESDAY PERIOD. THE

MODELS HAVE BEEN INCONSISTENT WITH REGARD TO TIMING AND PATTERN. THE

00Z GFS SHOWED THE GREATEST MOISTURE MONDAY NIGHT ASSOCIATED WITH A

LOW TRACKING FARTHER SOUTH AND EAST OF THE FORECAST AREA. BELIEVE

THE BEST FORECAST FOR NOW IS CHANCE OR SLIGHT CHANCE POPS SUNDAY

THROUGH TUESDAY WHICH IS SUPPORTED BY THE GFS ENSEMBLE MEANS.

WINTER-TYPE PRECIPITATION MAY BE AN ISSUE DURING THIS PERIOD.

Oconee....I'm sorry the Sugar Bowl game didn't work out for you :P^_^

I'm shocked CAE still has the possibility of something frozen in the discussion :o:lol:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...

THE GFS AND NAM SHOW A REINFORCING COLD FRONT FRIDAY. THE

PRECIPITATION CHANCE APPEARS LOW BECAUSE OF LITTLE MOISTURE IN A

DOWNSLOPE FLOW. SATURDAY SHOULD BE DRY AND COLD BEHIND THE FRONT.

CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW DURING THE SUNDAY TO TUESDAY PERIOD. THE

MODELS HAVE BEEN INCONSISTENT WITH REGARD TO TIMING AND PATTERN. THE

00Z GFS SHOWED THE GREATEST MOISTURE MONDAY NIGHT ASSOCIATED WITH A

LOW TRACKING FARTHER SOUTH AND EAST OF THE FORECAST AREA. BELIEVE

THE BEST FORECAST FOR NOW IS CHANCE OR SLIGHT CHANCE POPS SUNDAY

THROUGH TUESDAY WHICH IS SUPPORTED BY THE GFS ENSEMBLE MEANS.

WINTER-TYPE PRECIPITATION MAY BE AN ISSUE DURING THIS PERIOD.

Oconee....I'm sorry the Sugar Bowl game didn't work out for you :P^_^

Congrats!...No biggie, i'm still on top, that one would have just sealed the deal but was happy for you!:thumbsup:

Try being a SE Louisiana girl trying to fit in somewhere, or anywhere. :whistle: According to the maps here, it looks like the SE is "my" region. But I might as well be in another country for all there's any discussion about the Gulf Coast.

No offense taken, though. It is what it is. We don't get much snow here (though it's probably more than you might think, at least in the last 10 years. The December 2008 surprise snowstorm dumped 10" IMBY in 4 hours.) As somebody above pointed out, the geography and climatology varies widely across the region. It's a huge area to cover, so I can't expect a whole lot of the discussion to pertain to my area anyway. That doesn't mean I can't learn a lot from reading here. Maybe I can even be THE Gulf Coast rep, and somebody will take pity and throw me a bone every now and then.

Of course, I could also be rambling along in the wrong thread, in which case I hope someone will kindly direct me to the right one. Heh.

Try being a SE Louisiana girl trying to fit in somewhere, or anywhere. :whistle: According to the maps here, it looks like the SE is "my" region. But I might as well be in another country for all there's any discussion about the Gulf Coast.

No offense taken, though. It is what it is. We don't get much snow here (though it's probably more than you might think, at least in the last 10 years. The December 2008 surprise snowstorm dumped 10" IMBY in 4 hours.) As somebody above pointed out, the geography and climatology varies widely across the region. It's a huge area to cover, so I can't expect a whole lot of the discussion to pertain to my area anyway. That doesn't mean I can't learn a lot from reading here. Maybe I can even be THE Gulf Coast rep, and somebody will take pity and throw me a bone every now and then.

Of course, I could also be rambling along in the wrong thread, in which case I hope someone will kindly direct me to the right one. Heh.

lol you are fine. Welcome aboard...and since you are the only one to my knowledge, I guess that DOES make you the representative. Not bad of a promotion with a first post lol

Trust me, we know you guys get snow sometimes. We all have sat here in awe in recent years watching you guys get plastered. Frankly it was amazing.

+1 ~ seeing how I have been on the the same ride since 2001, I agree. I hated having to not post question back in the early days of Eastern or the late days at WWBB. When I did I got bitched at. But every since 2004 when eastern started taken off and posters around this area started posting. The reg thread was the way to go. The good old days. I guess this place as a lot of unspoken social norms.

It feels nice knowing you are an old timer at this doesn't it? :arrowhead:

Back on wwbb the numbers between ga/nc posters was about the same I think (just a few from each) but in the first few years on eastern, nc posters outnumbered ga posters probably 3 to 1. Didn't bother me most of the time though because we have always been like family and the nc posters always took the time to include ga. I had always wished there were more ga posters obviously but It was only until recently we actually had a noticable increase in them. We now have a few mets from ga which is much improved from yesteryear. I can't remember the exact number of years, but we years without any. Needless to say it's great finally having a few.

Congrats!...No biggie, i'm still on top, that one would have just sealed the deal but was happy for you!:thumbsup:

I'm glad to hear you are still winning and thanks for the congrats..I don't hear that often around here :hug:

Welcome to American Louisiana girl :) I have friends/family in your area and remember your surprise very well...it was nice posting/looking at pics while we sat in amazement over it all.

I take a break from the boards for a few days (post-Christmas storm hangover) and come back to one 54 page January thread and another 8 pager - I can't keep up! I like the possibilities for some more snow though :)

Question - for those in the know - what is the timing looking like for the weekend storm? I haven't been able to catch up fully yet with work being busy but saw the possibility for something coming in Sunday. We are traveling to Charlotte on Saturday and want to spend the night, but if the weather is going to get sketchy by Sunday morning, husband is pushing for coming home Sat. night.

I take a break from the boards for a few days (post-Christmas storm hangover) and come back to one 54 page January thread and another 8 pager - I can't keep up! I like the possibilities for some more snow though :)

Question - for those in the know - what is the timing looking like for the weekend storm? I haven't been able to catch up fully yet with work being busy but saw the possibility for something coming in Sunday. We are traveling to Charlotte on Saturday and want to spend the night, but if the weather is going to get sketchy by Sunday morning, husband is pushing for coming home Sat. night.

Hey Veronica...I wish I could give you an answer but at this point it's been all over the place. The 0z euro had it starting for NC around Sunday night but the 12z gfs had it around Monday night. Still a long ways to go w/ this one. I hope y'all have a good trip.

That about sums it up.

Hey Veronica...I wish I could give you an answer but at this point it's been all over the place. The 0z euro had it starting for NC around Sunday night but the 12z gfs had it around Monday night. Still a long ways to go w/ this one. I hope y'all have a good trip.

I am suppose to fly out of RDU Sunday night to NY and fly back Monday night, I could literally be flying over the storm which would blow. We need this storm to slow down in and come in like Monday night. I am hoping we get a similar delay as the Xmas storm, it ended up getting pushed back 18-24 hours when it was 120 hours out like we are now.

Thinking about signing up for a Accuweather Pro subscription. I was a subscriber years ago when it first came out then dropped it when the subscription price went up threefold. Felt it wasn't worth reading for just reading JB's disco since most other products were available for free elsewhere.

With the existing pattern setting up, I'm thinking about re-upping. I see it now gives access to the EMCF. How much more, if any, data is available than what can be found elsewhere?

Thats a good way to put it. I lurked at Eastern from late 2004 to 2007 before I felt comfortable enough to post.

Archived