joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January GENERAL BANTER

oconeexman

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now....Getting folks to use it....Should be the hard part. Either way, great idea Bo.

congrats on the bowl when also.

Thx Mark... I like the looks of this, can't remember a time when this much winter wx was in GSP's forecast for mby!:thumbsup:

Wednesday Night: Rain showers likely, possibly mixing with snow after 3am, then gradually ending. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Light north wind. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 48. West wind between 5 and 13 mph.

Thursday Night: A slight chance of snow showers after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. West wind between 6 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday: A slight chance of snow before noon, then a slight chance of rain and snow. Partly sunny and breezy, with a high near 44. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 45.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Sunday: A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday Night: A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday: A chance of rain or freezing rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 46. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

I like Kendra's forecast...leaving door open!

Then Monday-Tuesday, UGH! What a mess of a forecast! At this point I’d say we’ll see periods of freezing rain, sleet, rain and light snow in the Upstate early next week. I think accumulating snow looks less likely for the Upstate, but still very possible for the mountains. SO much can change at this point though, so I am gonna leave it at that until we can get more data through late this week. I’ll post with more confidence on next week by Thur-Fri of this week.

It seems to me that our SE board has become a predominantly Carolina board this winter. That is fine. There are more SE members from there and several skilled contributing mets and weather hobbyist. However, it appears that some of the Carolina posters have little patience for posts that don't directly pertain to the Carolinas. This thread was started because to a large degree because some guys did not want to sort through posts about Kirk Mellish's thoughts for the remainder of the winter. It is January 4th and it was a January 2011 thread. If the discussion was about Andy Wood or some other Carolina TV or Radio met, I doubt there would have been complaints. I have sorted through discussions about what mets are saying on TV and Radio in Charlotte and Raleigh and other Carolina locations on numerous occassions. If the Mellish discussion was on a thread about a particular storm, I could understand, but it was a discussion about January and beyond on a January thread., C'mon man! Much more of this and we will be no different than the groups up north. Done complaining. That being said, I still think this board is an excellent source for weather info. and insight.

I got the drift that the problem with the mellish stuff had more to do witht the time period he was talking about. There are more NC people but I feel like GA is well represented. It gets more and more equal with time. A few years back you would have to wait forever for someone to chime in for GA.

It seems to me that our SE board has become a predominantly Carolina board this winter. That is fine. There are more SE members from there and several skilled contributing mets and weather hobbyist. However, it appears that some of the Carolina posters have little patience for posts that don't directly pertain to the Carolinas. This thread was started because to a large degree because some guys did not want to sort through posts about Kirk Mellish's thoughts for the remainder of the winter. It is January 4th and it was a January 2011 thread. If the discussion was about Andy Wood or some other Carolina TV or Radio met, I doubt there would have been complaints. I have sorted through discussions about what mets are saying on TV and Radio in Charlotte and Raleigh and other Carolina locations on numerous occassions. If the Mellish discussion was on a thread about a particular storm, I could understand, but it was a discussion about January and beyond on a January thread., C'mon man! Much more of this and we will be no different than the groups up north. Done complaining. That being said, I still think this board is an excellent source for weather info. and insight.

I'm not sure what you mean...we fully discussed Kurt Mellish and his thoughts. Multiple NC posters including me chimed in on it. So what was the problem again?

This kinda makes me sad. I think it's important to remember that we all contribute, in varying degrees, to this board. :) I, for example, know nothing of the science involved in forecasting. I do, however, become important (speaking of obs here) when storms are actually happening. It lets those 'up the road' know what's happening in mby so they can either prepare to be disappointed or...pop some corn. I read the article and could no more tell you why he wrote it than anyone. (I think he's wrong btw, just from reading other's comments) You are all important here. When nowcasting begins...I look at everyone's radar!! This is just the beginning of a wonderful time frame for winter weather and I look forward to enjoying it with ALL my SE peeps!! Carry on...

Peach

I got the drift that the problem with the mellish stuff had more to do witht the time period he was talking about. There are more NC people but I feel like GA is well represented. It gets more and more equal with time. A few years back you would have to wait forever for someone to chime in for GA.

Agreed. GA is definitely more represented than SC, but I definitely agree that NC is most represented. TN isn't bad either but the patterns aren't that great for TN, so that's why they might be left out sometimes...

The thing that has grinds my gears are constant IMBY questions far out from potential storms from new users...and they don't listen if you call them out. Just keep asking and asking. "WHAT ABOUT WESTERN SOUTH CAROLINA TEMPS AND QPF!??!" Why meteorologists or other members waste their time answering their questions per one model run 6 days out is beyond me. I'm tired of scrolling over those posts.:axe:

We will never be like the MA or NE threads. :devilsmiley:

I will listen to the thoughts of any person in the SE when it comes to weather. So I disagree with your statement here. Plus Bo from SC made this thread..

I just posted similar comments in the newly created "General Banter" thread that was created largely because Carolina posters did not want to hear about things outside of the Carolinas. It is beginning to sound like a MA or NE room.

I'm not sure what you mean...we fully discussed Kurt Mellish and his thoughts. Multiple NC posters including me chimed in on it. So what was the problem again?

Burger, no problem with you whatsoever. You are a HUGE contributor to this board. You have more weather knowledge than I do (and you have access to the Euro!) . I really did not mean my voicing of displeasure to be a rant. Maybe I overeacted. My complaint was with a few Carolina posters wanting to throw our posts on Mellish's discussion of January and beyond out of the January 2011 thread. Their point was it was irrelevent to thread and needed to be moved. That is what bothered me. Hopefully we can all be patient and cordial in the coming weeks. If the pattern develops as it appears to be doing, we will be spending countless hours on this board.

Also to further elaborate what is the problem with someone discussing their local? Isn't that um...kind of the point? Why should I be discussing GA weather when I know nothing about the local climatology or geography? Would you rather have a SC and GA thread and a NC thread that is separate with all of us NC folks ONLY discussing what is going on in NC?

Burger, no problem with you whatsoever. You are a HUGE contributor to this board. You have more weather knowledge than I do (and you have access to the Euro!) . I really did not mean my voicing of displeasure to be a rant. Maybe I overeacted. My complaint was with a few Carolina posters wanting to throw our posts on Mellish's discussion of January and beyond out of the January 2011 thread. Their point was it was irrelevent to thread and needed to be moved. That is what bothered me. Hopefully we can all be patient and cordial in the coming weeks. If the pattern develops as it appears to be doing, we will be spending countless hours on this board.

Oh OK I didn't see that, I've been off and on these past couple of hours.

Agreed. GA is definitely more represented than SC, but I definitely agree that NC is most represented. TN isn't bad either but the patterns aren't that great for TN, so that's why they might be left out sometimes...

The thing that has grinds my gears are constant IMBY questions far out from potential storms from new users...and they don't listen if you call them out. Just keep asking and asking. "WHAT ABOUT WESTERN SOUTH CAROLINA TEMPS AND QPF!??!" Why meteorologists or other members waste their time answering their questions per one model run 6 days out is beyond me. I'm tired of scrolling over those posts.:axe:

???Completely disagree...

i dont know - i have been here (well a lurker at ww, at eastern and here) for ages. i have never noticed nc dominating...a lot of times what comes into the carolinas has to come through al and ga first :devilsmiley: there are posters, pro mets and forecasters from all areas i think, mr bob in tn, several in atl and n ga as well as nc. most of the time, just by reading and looking at the maps you can figure out whats going on for most areas through the discussion. most se maps during snow events also include all areas. (we also discuss melish, james spann, etc)

the se thread has historically been the best, with little bickering and lots of banter. most of the forecasters, and even regular posters, are most familiar with the weather and climate in their area so i think its great so many mets and pro forecasters talk about such a wide range of locations :thumbsup:

???Completely disagree...

About what? That TN doesn't get represented as much or the reason I stated as to what MIGHT be the reason? If you're going to disagree say why.

The lows bombing off and riding up the east coast are not that great for TN, especially western/central TN. Not talking about this week specifically, probably should've stated that.

About what? That TN doesn't get represented as much or the reason I stated as to what MIGHT be the reason? If you're going to disagree say why.

The lows bombing off and riding up the east coast are not that great for TN, especially western/central TN. Not talking about this week specifically, probably should've stated that.

I highlighted my disagreement. Don't drag us into your petty, regional argument. As far as the pattern not being great for TN, go check the regional obs for SE TN on Christmas day. The pattern has been great for TN. We just had an incredibly cold December w/ quite a bit of snow relative to this time of year. For many of us, December will be talked about for many years to come. I'd pull up KTRI's numbers for you, but it's not worth the effort. :thumbsdown:

Edit: You know, this was too strongly worded on my part, Jon. Sorry about that. I'll leave it as it was so you can see it. Tact can be a fleeting gift of mine at times.

Does anyone else think this whole regional representation thing is patently ridiculous? Come on. It's not like we can make a rule that X number of posts per day have to pertain to Y region. It all comes down to the representation of various regions on the forum. If there's no talk of weather for your area, you have two options:

a: Learn how to analyze models and post some discussions yourself.

b: Wait for a threat for your area. If posters live there, they will materialize.

If you aren't willing to do either of those things, there's no point in mandating that other members all talk about how cloudy it's going to be for places that they honestly have no interest in. More NC members, more NC discussion.

Does anyone else think this whole regional representation thing is patently ridiculous? Come on. It's not like we can make a rule that X number of posts per day have to pertain to Y region. It all comes down to the representation of various regions on the forum. If there's no talk of weather for your area, you have two options:

a: Learn how to analyze models and post some discussions yourself.

b: Wait for a threat for your area. If posters live there, they will materialize.

If you aren't willing to do either of those things, there's no point in mandating that other members all talk about how cloudy it's going to be for places that they honestly have no interest in. More NC members, more NC discussion.

A strong majority of our mets in this region are from NC and GA. Many have blogs representing their regions. It makes sense they talk about their areas. In addition, I know many of the mets usually include TN in their discussions when warranted, and it is much appreciated. Yes, it can be frustrating when one area doesn't get snow versus another. Climatology will even that out in most cases. TN folks have been very well represented on the board since we moved to AmericanWx. I think the SE is a great region.

Maybe I have contributed to some of these ill feelings today on the board. Let me start by saying I apologize for creating or contributing to quibling going on this evening. I personally have no problem with IMBY questions or discussions relating to someones BY. If I am in a hurry, which I usually am, I may scroll on by and not read everyone. What bothers me and what I took issue with today was a few people saying that a discussion we were having needed to go because they did not see the relevence. In actuality it was very relevent to the thread it was in. As I stated earlier. We could be headed into a very exciting few weeks for THE ENTIRE SE! While we are all most interested in our BY, hopefully, we can all be tolerant of posts and obs from posters throughout the SE during this potentially exciting time.

I highlighted my disagreement. Don't drag us into your petty, regional argument. As far as the pattern not being great for TN, go check the regional obs for SE TN on Christmas day. The pattern has been great for TN. We just had an incredibly cold December w/ quite a bit of snow relative to this time of year. For many of us, December will be talked about for many years to come. I'd pull up KTRI's numbers for you, but it's not worth the effort. :thumbsdown:

I confess I've always thought of Tennessee as a weather world apart from the Southeast. Kind of like Kentucky and West Virginia: they're not midwestern, but not quite thoroughly Southern, either -- at least, weatherwise. Sort of a land of their own. Once you get west of the Appalachians, it's a different regime. Here in NC, we get more action from coastal bombs. You Tennesseans are "blessed" with more supercells.

The analysis does tend to cluster where the weather-talented membership resides. I guess that'll never change.

I confess I've always thought of Tennessee as a weather world apart from the Southeast. Kind of like Kentucky and West Virginia: they're not midwestern, but not quite thoroughly Southern, either -- at least, weatherwise. Sort of a land of their own. Once you get west of the Appalachians, it's a different regime. Here in NC, we get more action from coastal bombs. You Tennesseans are "blessed" with more supercells.

The analysis does tend to cluster where the weather-talented membership resides. I guess that'll never change.

Can't disagree w/ that - no disrespect meant to anyone. Even in TN, there are many micro-climates if one looks just between the Plateau and Apps and between SE TN and NE TN. I had around two inches at my house on Christmas. Two days later, I made a one hour drive and was standing in over eighteen inches of snow half way up Roan Mtn. The temperature gradient in TN can be amazing because the state is so long. Here, in NE TN we can actually tap into upslope snow from the Great Lakes. That is pretty unique. But yes, we are definitely the upper south.

edit: Here in E TN, inland runners (just barely) are the best for us. Coastal bombs work out for us as well as generally we can get some phasing to enhance our snow here. Man, I pull for coastal bombs purely from that standpoint alone.

Archived