• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January GENERAL BANTER

oconeexman

Just watched Glenn Burns on the air at 11pm newscast. After hearing Lookout at others rant about his ineptness, I had to look and see. He really is awful. Someone must have told him that his precip map for Sun/Mon earlier today was the most ridiculous thing ever because it was gone. He did say it may snow or sleet in Paulding county tomorrow morning. Graphic showed spot of sn/sl northwest of ATL. He showed several cloud cover maps. I don't what was worse, watching his forecast or hearing about all the robberies, murders and home invasions in ATL while waiting for the Glenn Burns show. Needles to say, I won't be doing that again anytime soon. Makes me really grateful for this weather forum and all of it's skilled members.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched Glenn Burns on the air at 11pm newscast. After hearing Lookout at others rant about his ineptness, I had to look and see. He really is awful. Someone must have told him that his precip map for Sun/Mon earlier today was the most ridiculous thing ever because it was gone. He did say it may snow or sleet in Paulding county tomorrow morning. Graphic showed spot of sn/sl northwest of ATL. He showed several cloud cover maps. I don't what was worse, watching his forecast or hearing about all the robberies, murders and home invasions in ATL while waiting for the Glenn Burns show. Needles to say, I won't be doing that again anytime soon. Makes me really grateful for this weather forum and all of it's skilled members.

What did he say about this upcoming big storm? I did not put myself through the misery of watching him tonight...nope..just couldn't do it.

What did he say about this upcoming big storm? I did not put myself through the misery of watching him tonight...nope..just couldn't do it.

He said potential for a "mixed bag" of winter weather Sunday/Monday and that it would be very cold. 5 day forecast showed highs of 42 and lows of 29 and 30 for Sunday and Monday. He said that Karen Minton would be here in the morning to give us updates on the potential winter weather (flurries for Paulding County tomorrow AM!!). This according to his super in house model.That is enough to make me get up and turn on the TV at 5 am. Only thing I can think is that people with a brain and a pulse just don't tune in to the local TV news in the Atlanta area. Only explanation for a TV market this big being this bad. Not just in weather, but the entire news package. Just awful

I brought this over here to stop cluttering up the main thread...

Ivanhater quote: "Chill out. I pointed out a snowfall map that showed snow. If it is wrong, cool. If that annoys you, I can't help you. Both the GFS and Euro showed snowfall for the Gulf coast, which is exciting for me. It is odd that both models would have an incorrect data output. Move on and stop making a big deal about it."

It wouldn't annoy me at all if it did show snow. I would be happy for ya'll to get in on the action; However, if you examine both models you will find that they are far from showing any snow along the gulf coast. A lot of the snowfall accumulation maps don't equate any above freezing temperatures below the 850mb level. Which is one of many reasons why you shouldn't be looking at those type maps to decide if it might snow in your backyard or not.

A lot of very knowledgeable posters told you this in the main thread earlier, but instead of learning from them, or examining the model output more closely, you made a bunch of unwarranted post in rebuttle, and that gets annoying fast.

As a broadcast Meteorologist myself, I may have to check out his weathercasts to see what NOT to do! ;)

That being said, I think in Columbus we will see a wintry mix Sunday night, with temperatures right on the edge. Again this is still 4+ days away, but it will still be intersting to watch!

Welcome to the gang!!

I so wish you would have gotten at Photo also. Would have been awesome!!

One picture I so wish I'd gotten was when the local first responders came by to "plow" our road with some kind of contraption that I *think* consisted of two big shovels strapped to the front bumper of a fire truck. Hilarious. It worked, though!

He said potential for a "mixed bag" of winter weather Sunday/Monday and that it would be very cold. 5 day forecast showed highs of 42 and lows of 29 and 30 for Sunday and Monday. He said that Karen Minton would be here in the morning to give us updates on the potential winter weather (flurries for Paulding County tomorrow AM!!). This according to his super in house model.That is enough to make me get up and turn on the TV at 5 am. Only thing I can think is that people with a brain and a pulse just don't tune in to the local TV news in the Atlanta area. Only explanation for a TV market this big being this bad. Not just in weather, but the entire news package. Just awful

Thanks, I guess someone indeed told him he was a moron and he didn't show it again. Don't even get me started on that inhouse model/forecasting individual showers 24 hour in advance crap because it's another thing that drives me up the wall ..it's nothing but more lies and disinformation.

As a broadcast Meteorologist myself, I may have to check out his weathercasts to see what NOT to do! ;)

That being said, I think in Columbus we will see a wintry mix Sunday night, with temperatures right on the edge. Again this is still 4+ days away, but it will still be intersting to watch!

Just don't lie to your viewers. It's one thing for mets to be conservative, it's another thing altogether to lie about stuff though. I would also urge you not to just simply copy and paste the nws forecast as they do and then claim it as their own. People like glen burns are such obvious plagiarists that it's not even funny. What is the point of going through all that education only to copy and paste the nws forecast? Any moron could do that.

Mean while they ignore the reality of the situation at hand because of it. What i mean is if the signals are clear..if not overwhelming for one thing, but ffc chooses to be conservative, that doesn't mean you have to be in lock step with them. I know 98% of the public has no idea or doesn't care but I would think you would have to feel better about yourself knowing you didn't and knowing those few who do know would respect you for it.

And for the love of god, do not do like all these other mets and pretend their little inhouse model can predict an individual shower or storm with absolute certainty 24 hours in advance. It's a total lie every single time they do it and they know it. And not only is it a lie, they will be wrong every single time.

Of course I'm not stupid and am aware of the realities of the spots people like you are in and that's easier said than done. I've been told station managers like to force their mets to treat their in house products like gospel but it's just such a load of crap and the viewers already know it. The public in general is pretty ignorant but I bet you 90% of them already know a met is lying when they show that crap because it's been wrong every single time.

And of course it's easy to sit here and say buck the nws on a message board too. But when you know for sure ffc is out to lunch and you be more realistic about it, at least in the end they will end up buying you dinner.

Anywho, as you can see this stuff bugs me, probably a lot more than it should lol. But I just don't like dishonesty in forecasting, especially if it's to protect your own backside which is the #1 goal of many because the #1 goal should be to be as accurate as possible and being honest with the folks as best you can. At least that's the way it should be..but again I'm not oblivious to the reality of the situation many on air mets face and that pretty much sucks.

As you can see from my post count, I primarily lurk - since I am here to learn and enjoy the banter - but i do have a question:

It seems that most of the excitement has been from the posters in GA, SC and not in NC - it that in proportion to the amount of precip they are expecting? i.e. are central NC folks not jumping in on the banter b/c we are not in the sweet spot?

Thanks for your insights!

Is the "L" already on shore? If not do we kind of have an idea when... I just do not trust the models until it is on shore. Just because there always seems to be a big adjustment once it comes ashore. Looking forward to the next several days to see which model actually has it right. Is the euro still king?

Thanks, I guess someone indeed told him he was a moron and he didn't show it again. Don't even get me started on that inhouse model/forecasting individual showers 24 hour in advance crap because it's another thing that drives me up the wall ..it's nothing but more lies and disinformation.

Just don't lie to your viewers. It's one thing for mets to be conservative, it's another thing altogether to lie about stuff though. I would also urge you not to just simply copy and paste the nws forecast as they do and then claim it as their own. People like glen burns are such obvious plagiarists that it's not even funny. What is the point of going through all that education only to copy and paste the nws forecast? Any moron could do that.

Mean while they ignore the reality of the situation at hand because of it. What i mean is if the signals are clear..if not overwhelming for one thing, but ffc chooses to be conservative, that doesn't mean you have to be in lock step with them. I know 98% of the public has no idea or doesn't care but I would think you would have to feel better about yourself knowing you didn't and knowing those few who do know would respect you for it.

And for the love of god, do not do like all these other mets and pretend their little inhouse model can predict an individual shower or storm with absolute certainty 24 hours in advance. It's a total lie every single time they do it and they know it. And not only is it a lie, they will be wrong every single time.

Of course I'm not stupid and am aware of the realities of the spots people like you are in and that's easier said than done. I've been told station managers like to force their mets to treat their in house products like gospel but it's just such a load of crap and the viewers already know it. The public in general is pretty ignorant but I bet you 90% of them already know a met is lying when they show that crap because it's been wrong every single time.

And of course it's easy to sit here and say buck the nws on a message board too. But when you know for sure ffc is out to lunch and you be more realistic about it, at least in the end they will end up buying you dinner.

Anywho, as you can see this stuff bugs me, probably a lot more than it should lol. But I just don't like dishonesty in forecasting, especially if it's to protect your own backside which is the #1 goal of many because the #1 goal should be to be as accurate as possible and being honest with the folks as best you can. At least that's the way it should be..but again I'm not oblivious to the reality of the situation many on air mets face and that pretty much sucks.

Agree 100% with this post. The AMS should make it mandatory for every TV met to sit through a seminar given by Lookout out what to do and not to do on the air. While we are at it, maybe the AMS could use this board as a disciplinary panel for on air mets in the southeast that do something on air that sucks royaly.

You know I think the mistake is made by directors that just because you spend a ton of money on a in house model the forecast still comes down to how good the met is. I can certainly understand their dilemma in the race to get better ratings. Really it comes down to basic marketing, they take the approach that the only way to get people "addicted" is to give them something that is unique to the station. To a station director I can bet they go, "it's an expensive computer, and the sales guy said it was the best!". So they roll with it in the hopes that the bells and whistles convince someone in the real world they have something over the other station. The reality of it all is that a good met can go, this doesn't look right and decide not to roll with the in house model...or downplay it. It all comes down to the chief met making the call though. I think Jeff Crum (of News14 here in CLT) does really well, I've seen him a few times bring up the in house just to say he doesn't think it's going to shake out the way it says. You get the best of both worlds that way.

And for the love of god, do not do like all these other mets and pretend their little inhouse model can predict an individual shower or storm 24 hours in advance. It's a total lie every single time they do it and they know it. And not only is it a lie, they will be wrong every single time.

Of course I'm not stupid and the we are aware of the realities of the spots people like you are in and that's easier said than done. I've been told station managers like to force their mets to treat their in house products like gospel but it's just such a load of crap and the viewers already know it. The public in general is pretty ignorant but I bet you 90% of them already know a met is lying when they show that crap because it's been wrong every single time.

And of course it's easy to sit here and say buck the nws on a message board too. But when you know for sure ffc is out to lunch, at least in the end they will end up buying you dinner.

After being here for a few days I noticed that FFC was really conservative a lot of the times. Now, I don't even use them when I forecast. I look at the models, the model output, and look outside the window to get a feel of what is happening. Granted, I do read both BMX and FFC to get an idea of what they are thinking and see if it matches up with what I think. I usually get pretty good feelings about things and I like to stick to my guns, but enjoy seeing if my instincts are the same as others

That being said, I am the morning Meteorologist, and the chief has the final say in the forecast. For consistency's sake, we talk about things down the pipeline before they happen so we can be the first to get it on air. Fortunately, my chief is pretty gung ho about being the FIRST station to put things in their forecast (ie. the Christmas snow we had on Tuesday, granted it was just a dusting or so that we mentioned, but still had it when other stations mentioned it on ONE graphic with a ? mark next to it... That shows you aren't sure, and if you aren't sure then why put it???) This is my first job, and I am certainly learning quite a bit, not only on here but from people at church! I had a bunch of people come up to me last night and ask me about the WX on Monday (Auburn is in our DMA and they want to tailgate), and they also noted the willingness to step out on a branch with our forecasts.

Also, our RPM is OKAY, not the greatest, but it does the job. I usually show it and say, 'You can anticipate showers around this time and they will linger into the night.' Something like that, I feel, isn't putting 100% faith in it, but just another tool and map to show the audience about what they can expect. I don't treat it as the gospel and never will, because it's a model. Models are just a tool for us to use and grab the patterns and give us a ROUGH idea as to how things set up. When it gets within 24 to 36 hours, I stop looking at them and start looking at satellite images, radars, and surface obs for how things are unfolding... (Does that not make me a weenie?? ;) )

I for one, will readily admit when I have no clue about a scenario, but won't necessarily say that on air. I'll say something to the extent of 'Computer models are all over the place with this thing, so stay with us for the next few days as we refine the forecast.' To me, that is being honest with them while still covering my back... if that makes sense?

All I know is that it is sure fun being a Broadcast Meteorologist... Slightly more stressful (to me) than I imagined, but overall I enjoy doing what I do!

I for one, will readily admit when I have no clue about a scenario, but won't necessarily say that on air. I'll say something to the extent of 'Computer models are all over the place with this thing, so stay with us for the next few days as we refine the forecast.' To me, that is being honest with them while still covering my back... if that makes sense?

All I know is that it is sure fun being a Broadcast Meteorologist... Slightly more stressful (to me) than I imagined, but overall I enjoy doing what I do!

Thanks for the write up, I'm always fascinated by the politics and inside goings on of the newsroom especially on the weather side. Giving us some info certainly helps in understanding that mets have to keep a job and things can be outside of their control at times. Just like at a normal job you can't just tell your boss to shove off and do whatever you want, sometimes you have to go with it and look the fool much to your displeasure.

I do think though that in this coming decade we will see a huge shift in how the news is done from a social media perspective and weather is a perfect test market for it. I kind of did a write up in response to a met here in Charlotte talking about the use of Twitter and Facebook which I think any smart met would be taking advantage of now.

Agree 100% with this post. The AMS should make it mandatory for every TV met to sit through a seminar given by Lookout out what to do and not to do on the air. While we are at it, maybe the AMS could use this board as a disciplinary panel for on air mets in the southeast that do something on air that sucks royaly.

:lol: I've actually pondered the idea of consequences of mets willfully lying about their product but alas it's never likely to happen and it could really open up a can of worms so it's probably not a good idea.

You know I think the mistake is made by directors that just because you spend a ton of money on a in house model the forecast still comes down to how good the met is. I can certainly understand their dilemma in the race to get better ratings. Really it comes down to basic marketing, they take the approach that the only way to get people "addicted" is to give them something that is unique to the station. To a station director I can bet they go, "it's an expensive computer, and the sales guy said it was the best!". So they roll with it in the hopes that the bells and whistles convince someone in the real world they have something over the other station. The reality of it all is that a good met can go, this doesn't look right and decide not to roll with the in house model...or downplay it. It all comes down to the chief met making the call though. I think Jeff Crum (of News14 here in CLT) does really well, I've seen him a few times bring up the in house just to say he doesn't think it's going to shake out the way it says. You get the best of both worlds that way.

We have one in atlanta, ken cook, who doesn't treat it as gospel either to his credit. But these managers need to buy a clue, people do not tune in to their forecast for their crappy looking in house model and folks aren't so stupid as to believe it. I have not meet a single average person that has ever thought their in house models were worth a crap. I ask people about this because I'm curious how average people view this stuff and its' not looked upon very favorably to say the least. Why? Because after these mets showing their inhouse model day after day after day, and being wrong each time, people take notice of that. People are generally dumb and ignorant when it comes to weather forecasting but in this case, it's actually been wrong so many times they have noticed. Maybe their focus groups live on a different planet, I don't know.

That's not to say they can't be used..sometimes they might do ok but the problem is they in fact treat it as gospel and give it waaaayyy to much credit.

Btw, one last thing I meant to add. When talking about bucking the nws, more often than not I'm referring to temperature forecasts. Roberts posts in the other thread reminded me of that when he said gsp was forecasting highs in the mid to upper 40s with a really cold airmass in place. This makes no sense but it doesn't stop people like burns from copying it. Then of course they all are always too warm in cad situations, no matter how badly they get burned over and over and regardless of whether the models are showing subfreezing temps all day. They will still go upper 30s :axe: and of course they bust :lol:

As you can see from my post count, I primarily lurk - since I am here to learn and enjoy the banter - but i do have a question:

It seems that most of the excitement has been from the posters in GA, SC and not in NC - it that in proportion to the amount of precip they are expecting? i.e. are central NC folks not jumping in on the banter b/c we are not in the sweet spot?

Thanks for your insights!

No, we should get some good snow from this if the models are right.

Archived