CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Pattern/storm inverted trough thread early Jan

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Through 78 hours, a rather small penis of 0.25 goes through Ray's BY and out to the ocean just north of BOS. Still going then.

NAM works out great for everyone in SNE that doesn't like snow aside of SW CT. Manages to spin around and put us in the cake hole...Maine FTW.

This storm could win the aware for most unique solutions inside of 72 hours by a storm since modern modeling began.

Taken 0.25+ for 84 hours widespread. Screw zone begins in Plymouth CTY out through the Cape. I don't believe it will happen that way.RI is also screwed this time. I think 0Z tonight we'll have some better ideas and we probably won't lock anything in until nowcast or at least not before 0Z tomorrow night. Just a tough and weird setup.

NAM works out great for everyone in SNE that doesn't like snow aside of SW CT. Manages to spin around and put us in the cake hole...Maine FTW.

This storm could win the aware for most unique solutions inside of 72 hours by a storm since modern modeling began.

The good news is that I think it has exhaused it's supply of soloutions that suck. :lol:

Taken 0.25+ for 84 hours widespread. Screw zone begins in Plymouth CTY out through the Cape. I don't believe it will happen that way.RI is also screwed this time. I think 0Z tonight we'll have some better ideas and we probably won't lock anything in until nowcast or at least not before 0Z tomorrow night. Just a tough and weird setup.

If the NAM is close to right I'll be heading up for a day or two of skiing next week at SR.

looks like one jackpot over S. NY SW CT C. LI

and then possibly another around Portland/ Lewiston maine.

until the euro shows some consistency i think you gotta nod to the HPC 6-8 swath over S. NY LI SW CT. Meso models have liked this area better than any other.

and watch for continuity near the portland area to develop in the next 24 hrs.

If the NAM is close to right I'll be heading up for a day or two of skiing next week at SR.

the NAM looks a lot like the euro at the end getting that low into the GOM and along the Maine coast...which is encouraging i suppose over a single low east of nova scotia.

what do we need to do to get that area of LP stronger and more prolific and take off quicker?

(that is if anything can be done)

It should be noted that the gfs had the norlun originally over bos-mht-rut.. I think it will make it back NE.. remember that conveyer belt last year will? Started in NY on the models 48 hours out then moved back right over ORH.. poured snow until it changed to rain

Climatology of the NORLUN Instability Trough: Initial Development and Use in Improving New England Snowstorm Forecasts

Gregory A. Zielinski, Daniel K. Cobb and Hendricus J. Lulofs (National Weather Service, Caribou, Maine)

"From these analyses we suggest that there are at least two NORLUN types. A Type I NORLUN appears to occur most frequently as a 25 to 50 mile wide band of heavy snowfall amounts with the axis of heaviest snowfall oriented NW-SE extending from the coast into the hills of interior New England. Synoptically, this type appears to be characterized by a weakening surface low moving into the St Lawrence River valley with a developing ocean storm too far to the east to affect New England directly. This situation is often associated with onshore flow of potentially buoyant air from 500 to 1500 meters above the surface ahead of a trough axis that connects the two low centers. A Type II NORLUN produces a snowfall axis that tends to mirror coastal topography in areas south of Mid-Coast Maine. In this case, there is only one low (i.e., an ocean storm passing too far to the east to directly affect New England) with a significant inverted trough extending to the northwest of the developing low center. The inverted trough appears to be the result of an advancing shortwave aloft with heavy snow along and ahead of the trough axis. However, the orientation of the snow bands tends to be parallel to the coastline and not necessarily parallel to the trough indicating that a secondary mesoscale response, such as coastal convergence induced by frictional differences between sea and land, may be more directly responsible for the maintenance of the 2 to 4 inch per hour snow rates. Consequently, geography of the coastline may be critical to development of a Type II event. We expect that these characteristics, as well as others discovered in the evaluation of additional NORLUN events, will be components of our conceptual model for the NORLUN instability trough."

interesting now i'm looking for nor luns that have hit Long island SW CT. and there characteristics.....

Right..which is what i was saying this AM..I just don't think NYC is where it rips.

Nice to see the Euro give all of us advisory -low end warning snows

I could see this trending better as we get closer. We are starting to see the model spit out more general qpf over SNE the last 12 hours...esp as the upper level low passes just S of us.

Archived