CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Pattern/storm inverted trough thread early Jan

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Feb 5 1978 is back on the maps as well as a bunch of other very snowy analogs. HPC has me in the 4-8 inch range so I know I'm as good as doomed. All that has to happen now is a radio show and Mike Seidel getting flown in from TWC and it'll be sunny and 60 on Saturday. If the RUC someday was 100% accurate and showed a dryslot riding over our heads many would deny it until the sun appeared.

---

DAYS 2/3...

...NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC/SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND...

EMBEDDED H7-H5 SHORTWAVE IN NORTHWEST FLOW ROTATES MOVES FROM THE

GREAT LAKES/CENTRAL APPALACHIANS INTO THE MID-ATLANTIC...WITH A

SURFACE WAVE FORMING OFF THE JERSEY COAST. SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TO

FOCUS ON FRIDAY ALONG AN AXIS OF H85-H7 FRONTOGENESIS FROM WESTERN

NY TO NRN NEW JERSEY...WITH HIGHER AMOUNTS...IN THE 4-6 INCH

RANGE...ACROSS THE POCONOS/CATSKILLS. PLAYED OUT A SLIGHTLY

SLOWER/FLATTER LOW-LEVEL FLOW PATTERN AND SURFACE LOW TRACK ACROSS

THE COASTAL WATERS OFFSHORE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY

MORNING...IE THE ECMWF/NAM BLEND...WITH CONTINUED SNOWFALL

TRACKING/MOVING EAST-NORTHEAST FROM THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND

LONG ISLAND INTO CT/RI AND WESTERN MASS. THIS ALLOWS FOR DAY 2

SNOW TOTALS APPROACHING 6-10 INCHES ALONG THE NY/PA STATE LINE

EASTWARD INTO LONG ISLAND SOUND...BEFORE THE SURFACE SYSTEM TRACKS

EAST AND SOUTH OF THE BENCHMARK. HOWEVER...COLD-SECTOR WRAP-AROUND

MOISTURE...ONSHORE FLOW AND HIGH SLRs ARE EXPECTED TO PRODUCE

ISOLATED 4-8 INCH SNOW AMOUNTS ACROSS PORTIONS OF CAPE

COD...EASTERN MASS AND THE MAINE COAST ON SATURDAY BEFORE THE

SYSTEMS EXITS THE NEW ENGLAND OFFSHORE WATERS.

Interesting discussion from the HPC snowfall forecast discussion. Hope it works out for us. Anyways messenger, I see that the NAM tends to slow down the northern stream energy around hour 48 on the off runs, this could be a result of the lack of new data into the models at initialization. Hopefully the 00z NAM continues the theme of the previous 00z and 12z runs of a faster northern stream vorticity maximum coming more southeastward, perhaps tugging the SPV further to the southeast in time.

I just hate any type of oes because Iusually never end up in a good zone in those intances.....being just inland, I usually end up in some sort of subsidence in favor of area just to me s\e.

You might be playing naked twister with a CF though for a bit during this.

I doubt it......it will probably be some usual spot like cape ann, Messenger's lawn mower and Scotts old hood.

That H7 Scott posted was classic.....VVs just to my east.

That 2nd map he posted was wind speed...look at the first one he posted, it has good VVs all the way back to N ORH county.

18z GFS through 36 hours looks a tad faster with the disturbance near ND than the 18z NAM, would make more sense especially with the general trends both 00z and 12z cycles showed on both models. Should be an interesting run given that it continues the theme of a faster northern stream disturbance. Big differences in their handling of the SPV at hour 36.

And now GFS substantially ups the ante for places it screwed at 12Z. It's becoming so weird that you almost hope for something completely weird each run but has (as Ray said) the weirdness been exhausted? Also...CMC has been probably the most bullish and remains in that camp with the Johnny come lately Euro today.

I doubt it......it will probably be some usual spot like cape ann, Messenger's lawn mower and Scotts old hood.

That H7 Scott posted was classic.....VVs just to my east.

That's just depicting synoptic stuff. Don't take it literally. It sometimes won't pick up small details like CF stuff.

Archived