Newest Member
    joxey
Pattern/storm inverted trough thread early Jan

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In January?

Man they are taking it on the chin in some spots up there. This coming event should do pretty well for the Greens though.

Yup, the upper mountain took a kill shot with that warm mank last weekend. You need a lot of snow to open up the sick steeps. They'll be back up shortly. Planning to go next week again.

I'm not crazy into glade skiing. I used to test my limits, but I'd have to ski more often than I do now to try double diamond stuff again.

Just out of curiosity...when did the Euro start the snow..and when did it end the snow? Was it like a migration Thursday night/Friday start in SW New England and then rotating it NE into Maine on Saturday..or does it have us snowing pretty much all weekend?

Just out of curiosity...when did the Euro start the snow..and when did it end the snow? Was it like a migration Thursday night/Friday start in SW New England and then rotating it NE into Maine on Saturday..or does it have us snowing pretty much all weekend?

It starts Friday afternoon and pretty goes continuously until Sunday afternoon. It does shut off in CT a little earlier..maybe Sat night sometime, but its def a prolonged event.

It starts Friday afternoon and pretty goes continuously until Sunday afternoon. It does shut off in CT a little earlier..maybe Sat night sometime, but its def a prolonged event.

I love these long duration events. Much better than a 6 hour thumping. and then the suns out. Seems like the last 2 winters we've had alot of these long, drawn out events.

LOL, where did you ever come up with Pony-O? You should grow your hair long and check out all the benefits, super strength, babe magnet, etc. Oh, wait, sorry, I forgot you can't.

Actually chics dig short hair ..they love rubbing their hands on it..attracts all kinds of attention.. Now I am married you know...though I know you're not :whistle:

Yup, the upper mountain took a kill shot with that warm mank last weekend. You need a lot of snow to open up the sick steeps. They'll be back up shortly. Planning to go next week again.

The inversion really hurt them, with H85 temperatures up to 10C it was off to the races in terms of warming for the higher elevations. Lower elevations actually held onto the snowpack better...even down here there's still a few crusty inches on the ground in most places, especially the wooded hillsides away from town.

I drove from ALB up I-87 to past Lake Placid yesterday and the only snow they had was the 1 to 2" from the clipper above Lake George. No snowpack whatsoever on January 4th.

That reminds me of when I drove up after the 2/25 Snowicane last year; there was 20" snowpack at my house in Westchester but nothing in Albany and Lake George. It really stopped snowing in the North Country on January 28, 2009 and hasn't started again. I'm sure glad I'm not at Middlebury this year, as the Champlain Valley is doing terribly this year with the lack of SW flow events and clippers. Just no synoptic snows whatsoever up there. That's really sad to have almost no snow in Lake Placid in the middle of winter, just unreal, especially since temperatures have been below normal. I wouldn't mind if the blocking pattern loosened up a bit to allow for some SW flow with just a moderately -NAO to hold the cold air in. That way we could get Vermont and the Dacks a big dump while having a snow-->ice event in NYC metro. I honestly wouldn't care about giving up snow here in order for the areas that need it to cash in.

You should ascend Hunter Mountain on snow shoes sometime....to the real summit. :) I have done that from route 214.... Nice resored tower on top.

I checked it out today. 4050' and the highest fire tower in NYS. We were also checking out the zip line network there. There is one pair of lines that cross a ravine that look to be 400-500' up. Looks like a blast. Not a real big fan of Hunter, some descent terrain on the West side but just hordes of terrible , out of control skiers/riders from NYC. Still, had a good time. I'll post some pics in the OBS/Banter thread.

HAH Once you either go bald or gray you can probably write off most chicks under about 35. Oh there are always a few that go for the mature looking guy I guess.

But it's in my genetics that I got gray real young so what can you do.

Actually chics dig short hair ..they love rubbing their hands on it..attracts all kinds of attention.. Now I am married you know...though I know you're not :whistle:

LOL, well, been together for 12yrs and now expecting our second child so..... A Rose by any other name is still a Rose. Oh, I forgot, the reason they rub your head is they're trying to get hair to grow.

They could have a bit in Lake Placid given their elevation....I was along I-87 and had to go to the Essex County Clerk in Elizabethtown. I would have gone out to L.P. if it wasn't so late in the day by that point. But anyway....they can't have much in Lake Placid.

That reminds me of when I drove up after the 2/25 Snowicane last year; there was 20" snowpack at my house in Westchester but nothing in Albany and Lake George. It really stopped snowing in the North Country on January 28, 2009 and hasn't started again. I'm sure glad I'm not at Middlebury this year, as the Champlain Valley is doing terribly this year with the lack of SW flow events and clippers. Just no synoptic snows whatsoever up there. That's really sad to have almost no snow in Lake Placid in the middle of winter, just unreal, especially since temperatures have been below normal. I wouldn't mind if the blocking pattern loosened up a bit to allow for some SW flow with just a moderately -NAO to hold the cold air in. That way we could get Vermont and the Dacks a big dump while having a snow-->ice event in NYC metro. I honestly wouldn't care about giving up snow here in order for the areas that need it to cash in.

Archived