joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pattern/storm inverted trough thread early Jan

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be a good period of NW flow upslope snows as this system departs... hopefully that can make up some ground as the inverted trough moisture is definitely going to be southeast of the N.VT region.

I'm out of town for the week so don't really care, but it would be nice to come home to a nice snowpack again. Looks like Stowe picked up 5-6" today in the upper elevations (3K+ feet) and 2-4" down in the town/populated area (800-1,500ft). Lets keep the snow falling ;)

Several inches at Hunter while we skied today, more snow coming. Have a feeling GC will do well Thurs-Sat. Some new here today as well.

Does anyone think that CC will get warning criteria snows? 18z GEFS means show .50-.75" of QPF for CC and Islands and parts of SE MA.

Just by reading through the last few pages, it appears the warning criteria problem will be the time frame... can you get 6"+ in 12 hours or 8"+ in 24 hours?

QPF maps would argue for a 4-8" snowfall for a decent areal coverage but how long does it take to get there...?

Several inches at Hunter while we skied today, more snow coming. Have a feeling GC will do well Thurs-Sat. Some new here today as well.

Nice! Skiing has been quite nice out here in Utah... 8-10 feet on the ground with over 250" season-to-date so far. First story of all buildings are completely buried and these are some of the largest snowbanks I've ever seen... like tunnels.

Hasn't snowed in a few days but there's still lots of powder if you sweep out the corners.

Sorry for the OT... now back to your regularly scheduled snow anxiety routine.

Does anyone think that CC will get warning criteria snows? 18z GEFS means show .50-.75" of QPF for CC and Islands and parts of SE MA.

I could see an inch or more of QPF in the right circumstances. We will need to see that second pulse develop better. The 12z/18z NAM evolutions (although the 18z was a miss) with that feature make sense as does what I believe the EC is doing and the 18z GFS.

May be of interest to some of you - supposedly WTNH meteorologist Geoff Fox will not have his contract renewed in February according to the New Haven Register.

That's the national trend, any of us who have been at the job for long times and making decent money are expendable, it's the New American way, save your pennies now.

May be of interest to some of you - supposedly WTNH meteorologist Geoff Fox will not have his contract renewed in February according to the New Haven Register.

wow! over 25 yrs of Geoff..do you know the reason why? I still remember 11 days before hurricane gloria geoff spun around in his chair and said we are going to have a hurricane.I think it was the only time he was 100% right on so far out or anyone for that matter.

I agree messenger, the problem is the timing of the intensification of the surface low, does it happen too late or does it happen just in time to hit most of eastern MA and RI with some heavy snowfall rates. Right now some models say yes with the CCB, while others say it is a trough that gives us snow. Models appear to be trending towards a further southward progression of the H5, H7 and H85 lows as well as a stronger passage of the low as it moves over or south of the region. Compared to the 00z runs, the 12z EURO ensemble means had a stronger H5 passage to the south of SNE. Right now it is the interaction of the northern stream disturbance with the SPV that will determine how quickly the surface low can develop and how close it can get to the coast. Right now it appears the models are too in between and indecisive about where to put the surface low in relation to the SPV and upper level pattern, perhaps some convective feedback is occurring as was the case with the Blizzard Christmas weekend. Not saying this will be a blizzard, but some periods of heavy snowfall are possible. I think when it comes to the potential warnings issue is the timing and how fast can we accumulate the snow. Right now it is too spread out in timing. BTW on to watch the Celtics-Spurs game. Be back around 10pm.

That's the national trend, any of us who have been at the job for long times and making decent money are expendable, it's the New American way, save your pennies now.

This. Watch the speed limit, too. Gotta balance those budgets.

He's not a met. Wonder who the chief met is there now? Is Mel still there?

That's what he is called - and Ginx answered it. He's had a bad enough day, let's not deride him further. He's good at what he does. It's a shame.

Nice! Skiing has been quite nice out here in Utah... 8-10 feet on the ground with over 250" season-to-date so far. First story of all buildings are completely buried and these are some of the largest snowbanks I've ever seen... like tunnels.

Glad to hear you made it out to Utah. Where are you skiing, and what was the occasion for the trip?

Can you post more pictures of UT soon?

Dr Mel is one of the finest people you will ever meet,

Yeah I've met him many times, but he's getting up there in years. Not sure how old he is, but has to be close to retiring. Perhaps Ch. 8 is trying to save money? I could see Mel being forced out soon. A lot of long tenured people on local news and radio stations have been "retiring" as of late and I can't help but think these are involuntary retirements that are really cost cutting measures.

Hasn't snowed in a few days but there's still lots of powder if you sweep out the corners.

Sorry for the OT... now back to your regularly scheduled snow anxiety routine.

Awesome Scott, have some friends from Portland, Oregon that just skipped down there and sent a detailed report to me w/pics. Hunter was a little bit firmer than the bottomless pow. lol MRG was forced to close this week. Really need to get the goods into NNE.

Well the day has finally arrived, cleared for skiing by PT, will be at the Beast Mon for 20 buck coca cola Monday, should be sweet by then.

Steve !!!! Great news!!!! Have a feeling we'll cash in up here with this flukey set up. Mondays are tough for me but I'll see if I can shoot over for a few runs in the afternoon. Congrats!!

That's what he is called - and Ginx answered it. He's had a bad enough day, let's not deride him further. He's good at what he does. It's a shame.

I wasn't deriding him, and not to take anything away from his career, but I cannot put him at the same level as someone that has gone through the full-fledged meteorology program. He may just be a certificate holder anyway (i.e. take some intro to met type courses via the internet).

Awesome Scott, have some friends from Portland, Oregon that just skipped down there and sent a detailed report to me w/pics. Hunter was a little bit firmer than the bottomless pow. lol MRG was forced to close this week. Really need to get the goods into NNE.

In January?

Man they are taking it on the chin in some spots up there. This coming event should do pretty well for the Greens though.

Steve !!!! Great news!!!! Have a feeling we'll cash in up here with this flukey set up. Mondays are tough for me but I'll see if I can shoot over for a few runs in the afternoon. Congrats!!

Thanks Pete and Dave long long wait but I am sure worth it. Good timing eh? Sad about ski area glaciers, should be much improved by weekend, hopefully that Miller A delivers for them, I would even exchange a mix so those economic areas get people back to work.

A friend of mine did an internship at WTNH this past semester. He said Dr. Mel would get crabby sometimes cause of the medicine he's on but all in all he is a good guy that has been through a lot.

LOL, Kids If you have time read about his life's work off camera. Us old people do get crabby though.

Yea those fake upslope snows are mostly air, they need a good synoptic 10-1 deal or like Utah 2-3 feet at a time of fluff.

That huge lakes cutter after their big upslope event in early December hurt...then missing out on the big stuff Boxing Day and another warm spell around New Years....they need a good pasting.

I'm hoping to get up there this year for a day or two of skiing, so I'd like to see them get one big synoptic snow which can really solidify the base.

That huge lakes cutter after their big upslope event in early December hurt...then missing out on the big stuff Boxing Day and another warm spell around New Years....they need a good pasting.

I'm hoping to get up there this year for a day or two of skiing, so I'd like to see them get one big synoptic snow which can really solidify the base.

Will you and MRG ski together?

Archived