amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 5 -> 9 Observations

Isopycnic

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy, huge wet flakes for about 30 minutes, but it was 37F or so at the time, so not much stuck. What has stuck is mostly on grassy areas, and we've probably got .5" at most. Roads are very, very wet, though. Could be interesting in the morning. Moderate snow, for now, with those huge flakes mixing in suggesting the temps are still borderline.

Heavy, huge wet flakes for about 30 minutes, but it was 37F or so at the time, so not much stuck. What has stuck is mostly on grassy areas, and we've probably got .5" at most. Roads are very, very wet, though. Could be interesting in the morning. Moderate snow, for now, with those huge flakes mixing in suggesting the temps are still borderline.

Finally just kicked over to more snow than rain. Maybe a dusting could occur by morning; maybe.

It's 30 degrees here in Hudson and there has just been a school bus flip in Caldwell county due to black ice. Roads were soaked last night and the forecast low was 31, I can't believe something wasn't said or done last night!

Here at 710AM Caldwell County schools announce a 2-hour delay. After buses have started at 530 and many kids already on there way to school. This is about the latest I've ever seen a call be made. I just hope any kids on that bus are ok.

We ended up with a dusting here last night, with a couple of stronger bands of snow around 1am... all in all my map call from the day before was a total bust, who knew the snowfall maximum would actually be further north into NE Tennessee.

It was all rain here. I heard it was heavy snow above 4000ft. On to the bigger fish.

We ended up with a dusting here last night, with a couple of stronger bands of snow around 1am... all in all my map call from the day before was a total bust, who knew the snowfall maximum would actually be further north into NE Tennessee.

Phil, Your call map was right on target for mby! :axe: As I said last night there are bigger fish to fry. Let us know when you update the blog. Thanks Don!

Full bore on snow has started here, 31.1F and it's coming down at a decent clip.

These type of westerly setups normally are not very good for us in Asheville, as the mountain chain is oriented more north to south than east to west. I'm not expecting more than 1" in the greater Asheville area from the event. However folks to the east and west should be on guard, as both the nam and gfs are showing a mesolow formation just on the lee of the Appalachians tomorrow late morning, very similar to January 2003. This round likely won't be as strong (we don't have the perfect jet orientation that the 2003 event did) but expect a significant area of light to moderate snowfall moving across NC tomorrow.

January 23, 2003 Event:

33fdy7d.gif

Compare with the current setup progged by the 00z Nam

5d6yz4.gif

Archived