joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 5 -> 9 Observations

Isopycnic

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read Allan Huffman's latest blog post. Said the models were showing something for this Thursday but then backed off. But it looks like something could happen big time in 10 days. We'll have to see. Seeing snow on Christmas was great. Now I am refreshed and getting back into the normal routine after the holidays, and it would be great to see a big snow in January. I just hope this time it does it during the week so I can at least get a day off work from it.

I thought there would be more talk about this since we're inside 7 days now with this threat. I guess everyone is still getting over the Christmas snow and New Year's.

I am very interested to see what RaleighWX has to say today. He seemed pretty confident about early next week in his blog post yesterday.

I think there is a good chance of a significant winter storm in the 1/10-1/13 period. Right now the model seem to be zeroing in on the 1/10-1/11 time frame. This is the time frame I have been going with since last week. There is still considerable spread among the ensemble members on the exact timing, which is related to when they kick out the southwest upper low. However, I am bullish on this time frame.

Folks in NC should like what they see so far... radar is really over preforming in comparison to the reflectivity the model guidance was showing.

Compare This:

28bed94.gif

To This:

2rnbsld.gif

I'd say the precipitation is a good 50-100 miles north of what the nam was depicting in 30 minutes.

[widremann] Those gulf storms will steal all the moisture from Chapel Hill and we will see NOTHING.[/widremann]

Currently completely cloudy here... actually quite surprised it clouded up so quickly after dawn. Its really limiting the daytime heating so far.

Temp: 31.2 degrees

Dewpoint: 25 degrees

actually quite surprised here as well. at 9:30 temp was 32. full, lowering cloud deck. was moving in from WNW direction at that time...

at 6 this morning not a cloud to be seen here in mcdowell right on the escarpment. by 8a, 80% coverage.

will check temps at lunch time here on the lee side.

that radar looks rather promising!

Good update imo from GSP this late this morning. WWA for the mountains.

WE ARE ISSUING A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW FOR A GOOD BIT OFTHE NC MTNS FOR THE REST OF THE DAY AND TONIGHT.THE GFS IS DOING A MUCH BETTER JOB PICKING UP ON THE PCPN OVERMIDDLE TN THIS MORNING THAN IS THE NAM. ODDLY...THE NAM HAS NO PCPNWHATSOEVER IN THIS AREA EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A WIDESPREAD AREA OFPCPN OVER MIDDLE TN. THIS AREA OF PCPN LINES UP WELL WITHFRONTOGENETICAL FORCING IN THE 600-700 MB LAYER ON THE GFS...AND 500MB PVA ON PRETTY MUCH ALL THE MODELS AHEAD OF AN APPROACHINGSHORTWAVE OVER WESTERN TN. THE GFS GENERATES 1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOWOVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SOUTHWEST AND CENTRAL MTNS BY LATEAFTN...WITH ANOTHER INCH OR TWO FURTHER EAST ACROSS THE MTNS INTOTHE EVENING HOURS. LOOKING AT THE REGIONAL RADAR...THE PCPN SHOULDSTART AROUND 20 UTC /3 PM EST/ OVER THE FAR SOUTHWEST MTNS THENSPREAD QUICKLY TO THE EAST. I USED A CONSERVATIVE 10:1 SNOW RATIOAND I WENT A LITTLE LOWER THAN THE GFS QPF. THAT IS TO SAY...I MAYHAVE GONE A LITTLE CONSERVATIVE IN SOME PLACES. I AM HAVING TROUBLEGETTING WET BULB TEMPS LOW ENOUGH OVER THE INTERIOR VALLEYS OF THESOUTHWEST MTNS FOR MUCH SNOW. SO ACROSS GRAHAM...SWAIN AND MACONCOUNTIES I HAVE THE SNOW MAINLY CONFINED TO ELEVATIONS ABOVE 3KFT.HOWEVER...TEMPS HAVE BEEN SLOW TO RISE UNDER THE DENSE CLOUDCOVER..AND EVEN THESE LOWER ELEVATIONS COULD SEE MORE.THE GFS AND THE NAM BRING THE PCPN OUT ACROSS THE NC FOOTHILLS ANDPIEDMONT OVERNIGHT TONIGHT. IN FACT...I HAVE A HALF INCH TO AN INCHOF SNOW IN MANY AREAS NORTH AND WEST OF CHARLOTTE LATE TONIGHT. IDON/T THINK TEMPS WILL GET LOW ENOUGH FARTHER SOUTH TO SUPPORT MUCHSNOW ACCUMULATION.

by the way my obs... temperatures rising pretty quickly here. Little concerned honestly considering the dewpoint.

Temp: 36.8 degrees

Dewpoint: 28 degrees

showing some decent radar returns here, but nothing making ground-fall at the moment. don't know temps (i'm still at school), but it was 38 at 12:45p...forecast high was 41...

i predict seeing some precip by dark:30...(given reports from west of me)...

good luck to all who'd like to see some...

Archived