amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
My First HECS on the Boards.....

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please just stop posting negative stuff, today at least, there is nothing negative about today...with the exception of some mixing issues along the Cape but this is a day where just about everyone here should feel positive and happy. We don't need negative stuff on a day like today, today is a day to be POSITIVE.

Fixed

It would be appreciated if an explanation would accompany these graphs. A lot of weenies - myself included - may have no idea what this represents. And if it means SW Maine is going to be lathered in snow.

I don't really know what the last graphic is but the top one is standard deviation from normal or what climo is I believe. So basically the -5 SD means that the SLP strength is 5 SD stronger than what the average is or something....basically this just means this is one intense storm :lol:

I'm not really sure how to explain it into great detail...I'm sure someone else could.

Hey Scott, how are you liking my locale this morning? - sn currently. Can't wait for the bomb to go off.

I've always liked your location. I still think the east slopes of the Berks are a secondary max with the other maximum being ORH hills, Ray's area, Essex county.

You guys are going to be getting ripped with +SN with wind coming in from the northeast... something the radar will likely not pick up either, as you are in radar-no-mans land.

okay--just added dry gas to the snowblower. Hopefully that'll fix things. If I have to shove, I'm going really be bummed!

At least the generator starts. Of course, I have greater confidence that I'll need the snowblower.

Back to flurries now, ground whtiened.

18.5/12, light NE wind.

1019.3, down 2.1mb since 8:30.

AT 9 AM LIGHT SNOW CONTINUES TO DEVELOP OVER THE REGION IN

RESPONSE TO A COMBINATION OF COOLING CLOUD TOPS VIA WARM AIR

ADVECTION ALONG WITH A COASTAL FRONT BEGINNING TO SET UP OVER

NORTHEAST MA WITH SFC WNDS NNW AND OFSHR WNDS NE. EXPECT COVERAGE

OF SNOW TO INCREASE AS THE MORNING PROGRESSES BUT 06Z NAM/GFS AND

09Z SREF ALL SUGGEST MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW SHOULD HOLD OFF UNTIL

4-7 PM TODAY FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST. THIS MATCHES UP WELL

WITH LATEST SATELLITE AND RADAR TRENDS UPSTREAM.

I'm sure we see winds that strong as well but not sustained 35+ for the time requirement.

The bigger issue isn't the wind as the "frequent gusts over 35" requirement is subjective, but the visibility at or below 1/4 mile for three straight hours. It's tough to keep the visibility that low for 3 straight hours.

Way Too Much Weather

Ryan Hanrahan's BlogSkip to content

cropped-gloria.jpg← Older posts

Christmas Blizzard – Sunday Morning Update

Posted on December 26, 2010 by ryanhanrahan| Leave a comment Blizzard warnings are in effect and currently I’m forecasting 12″-18″ for most of Connecticut with slightly lower amounts (10″-15″) in southeastern Connecticut. Someone could see 20″ especially in Litchfield County.

The surface low, 850mb low, and 700mb low are tracking perfectly for a major snowstorm in Connecticut. Ideal. Mesoscale banding and strong mid level frontogenesis is going to produce a band of crushing snow this evening. It’s going to be exceptionally impressive for a period of time.

2 feet is possible somewhere but I’m not sure where yet.

Enjoy the blizzard!

Archived