amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
My First HECS on the Boards.....

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I made a couple of posts refuting that stance and I think John did too, but someone probably should have taken the initiative to dedicate a thread to clearing that up...agreed.

I was referring to NCEP mainly, IE would have saved a lot of heartache two days ago when they said ignore the snow hit. I get what you're saying about starting another thread. When Don put up those stats well more than a week ago we had no idea how this would play out. It's an important point John made that only demostrates there are exceptions to every rule, every analog and every pattern. That said I doubt when the Euro was a total whiff many would have stood up to defend the possibility of a major east coast hit.

Largely I think Don's point was about the M/A and and I think all along he indicated the further north you went the less of a problem it was. For a vast majority of the mid atlantic this was a non-event.

Diamond Shoals down to 994ish. Strong northerly winds. SPC analysis would have it running east of there by maybe 25 miles.

RE the RUC, no field day. It's terrible with EC storms. Sometimes it's decent with dry slots. It burns us all the time on 8h and precip fields. Once in a blue moon it's decent.

GFS is east with everything through 15. May not play out later that way but at 5h it's pointing more NE with the critical S/W. Looks like it made one last jump

The bigger issue isn't the wind as the "frequent gusts over 35" requirement is subjective, but the visibility at or below 1/4 mile for three straight hours. It's tough to keep the visibility that low for 3 straight hours.

That makes sense I suppose. I would think we could come close to the 1/4 mi visibility or below though, but we'll see where the heavies tof the heaviest snow sets up.

12z GFS coming in a bit colder compared to 06z

And east. It really trimmed the QPF to some extent yet again on the western side versus the 0z and 6. It continues to do that each run.

Really wants to set the major banding around just SE of NYC but then it kind of collapses as the main show shifts to bob/weathafella/scott/ray.

I don't know, maybe it's right, would be a very limited period of damage through the first phase of the storm all the way to the canal IMO

That makes sense I suppose. I would think we could come close to the 1/4 mi visibility or below though, but we'll see where the heavies tof the heaviest snow sets up.

Yeah the problem is as soon as the snow let's up even a little bit, the visibility pops up to 1/2 or 3/4 mile. It'll be interesting to see how many of the zones actually verify a blizzard. I say maybe half.

And east. It really trimmed the QPF to some extent yet again on the western side versus the 0z and 6. It continues to do that each run.

Really wants to set the major banding around just SE of NYC but then it kind of collapses as the main show shifts to bob/weathafella/scott/ray.

I don't know, maybe it's right, would be a very limited period of damage through the first phase of the storm all the way to the canal IMO

It also gives NYC only about 1-1.25".. Based on the current radar, I can't really see that happening... they are going to get slammed.

For best banding and frontogenesis looks to me like it's HVN to ORH.

SFC low track is awesome to near MTP and then scooting ENE south of SNE. Perfect for a pivot point over central CT?

Yeah we may see a band pivot near there. As long as the H7 low is south of me and I have some sort of se or e flow..I should be ok I think.

Archived