• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Aurora Alert

baltosquid

I'm confused why people keep saying tonight we get another chance. I thought midday UTC today was the last pass of a significant CME?

Don’t think anyone really knows, but the NWS SWPC says CMEs will arrive “later today” — I guess if it was late enough we’d have a shot.

https://x.com/nwsswpc/status/1789647663484334251?s=46&t=YRAxGyE8QLsoshMtJniktg

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Don’t think anyone really knows, but the NWS SWPC says CMEs will arrive “later today” — I guess if it was late enough we’d have a shot.

https://x.com/nwsswpc/status/1789647663484334251?s=46&t=YRAxGyE8QLsoshMtJniktg

If anything I'd expect it to run early rather than late. The earlier CMEs probably cleared things out enough to allow a faster forward speed. But space weather is fickle and unpredictable...even more so than Earth weather!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I posted this earlier but then deleted after doing more digging… that is apparently in reference to the forecast for the early morning today hours that didn’t pan out, if I know understand it correctly.

Ah that’s too bad.  I’m really disappointed we missed Friday. 

Heating up a bit again. This is about as strong as it got last night before it petered out, so hopefully it doesn't repeat that fizzle. Looks like inclement weather should clear up soon and, for once, we won't be traveling or waiting until 3 and 4 am to see if it is truly happening...

• Like 4

Hp30 index climbed to 7.333 briefly but has come back down. Saw pics of auroras over Lake Ontario but probably not going to get to us barring a bigger hit waiting in the wings tonight. And of course the clouds are excruciatingly stubborn on top of this.

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Couple folks caught the aurora in Shenandoah again. Good for them! But night one was definitely the move.

I'm up on Skyline Drive and all we saw was a faint bit of purple in photos. We are back at our hotel now warming up and may go back out if it ramps up again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Couple folks caught the aurora in Shenandoah again. Good for them! But night one was definitely the move.

yeah there is no way that historic level was going to repeat on the following nights. Even in NC colors/pillars were naked-eye visible and at times even overhead or to the south. I have seen lights like that before but only in Vermont and Alaska. Here are a couple of shots I took from Cedar Grove, NC north of Hillsborough in Orange County.

image.thumb.jpeg.55a544ba957cde86668547aa24954e19.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6669b5adc6f8e8732b731a4f5b1b6482.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.69734a528f49dee1952be829f030e011.jpeg

• Like 18

Anyone care that we were told there will never be northern lights south of Canada, and this one made it to Australia lol

I don't care what they call the strength of the storm,, we didn't see this aura in 2003. Either the Earth's magnetic defenses are weaker or the Sun is stronger. I think it's the first.   Fits what I've been saying for the last few years on here about the Sun feeling hotter, and why they chemtrail.  Not sure if it has anything to do with greenhouse gases.  When it felt like the temperature dropped 10 degrees in the sun during the eclipse that was like.. whoa

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

We can't even do clear weather at the right time right...like we already get robbed of snow...but we gotta miss this too? Mercy

I didn’t know there was a whole thread! I was positing in DISCOBS.

I left Alexandria at 11 pm this night and drove nearly 250 miles round trip. Weather was actually worse in Shenandoah from 1-4 am. It wasn’t until on my way home passing back over the blue ridge that the skies cleared and I saw the aurora over Leesburg.

54fd3b35ca9b2289c2cf6cd3fde76f09.jpg
  • Like 7