• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Aurora Alert

baltosquid

More cloud fissures, but not a full break... so close. I've giving it until 2, I don't think the Kp will hold long enough to make 4am work (but I would love to be wrong). There are true breaks in the clouds around me per satellite, but haven't gotten lucky yet.

Finally getting notably clearer - big giant hole in the coverage right over my head, stars visible, but northern horizon blocked and my DSLR can't pick up any auroras overhead. Think it might continue clearing though. Last few attempts on the deck before I call it a night.

Got a full break out here and had a gorgeous display. The most visible part was a green curtain/ray/glow but there was faint pink/purple emission over about half the sky. Will post the photos we got here tomorrow.  Also got to see a shooting star during the last few photos. Really special night.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

OMG it’s cloudy still here!

Same in Westminster. I’m so upset. Maybe we will get lucky and get another chance Sunday night only real chance at some night time clearing but seems less likely 

7 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:

Same in Westminster. I’m so upset. Maybe we will get lucky and get another chance Sunday night only real chance at some night time clearing but seems less likely 

after scrolling through a bunch of spectacular photos from places south of us and many with city lights I’m even more pissed…

colleague of mine in DC saw it recently and @AU74s pic above…grrrrrrrrrr

• Like 1

Well it took all night but around 4:45am I noticed the skies FINALLY clear here in Herndon.

I was able to see some faint vertical brushes of "not as dark" sky in the northern half of the sky with my eyes which I realized were pillars. It was like seeing faint streaks of virga. On my phone camera the pillars were a reddish/hot-pink color.

It was in the nick of time too as the eastern horizon was slowly brightening throughout the 20 minutes I was outside.

• Like 5

I got up at 4am and walked down to the end of my driveway. Looked up and the big dipper was right there. Beautiful starry sky but didn't see any Aurora action. I was looking west/nw. With the tree line I couldn't see due north or NE, and being half asleep I didn't feel like taking a drive. Congrats to those who saw it.

• Sad 1

They were faintly visible here in N. Bethesda around 5 AM.  Just a slight glow to the naked eye, but the cell camera captured a faint red glow and some faint pilars.  By the time I ran inside to get the SLR, they were no longer visible.

Northern Lights2.jpg

Northern Lights1.jpg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Ok, I’m just west of Strasburg and there is absolutely a reddish tint to the sky, but my phone is exaggerating it.

IMG_5244.thumb.jpeg.2f1182913a107cf36c467befceddbdea.jpeg

I ended up circling around between I-81 and the WV border, but the clouds came back and I packed it in by 11:30pm.  This was like going on a tornado chase and seeing a nice rotating wall cloud.  Cool to see, but not really the show you wanted.

• Like 2

Hey peeps, down south in VA right now. Wife and I ran out last night for blizzards at DQ and ran into this scene at our favorite overlook around 10pm. Lights in the gap is smith mtn dam.  Resized_20240510_221146.thumb.jpeg.599f9a74ff4d806f65e14e74dad3a951.jpeg. Holy crap. Best shroom trip without shrooms ever! :tomato:

ETA: wife took all the awesome pics while I stuffed my fat face :lol:

• Like 17

1 minute ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Is it over? Any chance tonight?

SWPC says we're back at G5 storm level! If that were to hold until tonight, it would once again allow for auroras to be seen IF you can get clear skies, ideally to the north. But once again the cloud situation will be dicey, maybe even worse than last night.