• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Everyone has a nice weekend except him. He’s been mentioning E flow so cooler coast like today .. though Monday looks humid 

"Forecast looks to be on the quiet side for Saturday with a dry/seasonable air mass supporting normal conditions across southern New England for late May. Sunday may become more unsettled as model guidance is hinting at high pressure offshore supporting an easterly wind over the region. This could come with cooler temperatures,clouds, and possibly light rain/drizzle. Details are vague at the 7day time range, so stay tuned for more details later this week."

Hopefully it's just the east.

&&

19 minutes ago, kdxken said:

"Forecast looks to be on the quiet side for Saturday with a dry/seasonable air mass supporting normal conditions across southern New England for late May. Sunday may become more unsettled as model guidance is hinting at high pressure offshore supporting an easterly wind over the region. This could come with cooler temperatures,clouds, and possibly light rain/drizzle. Details are vague at the 7day time range, so stay tuned for more details later this week."

Hopefully it's just the east.

&&

Some know what could be lurking. Some have beer they’re slurping.

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

We can hope. I have a feeling this is summer is going to be warm and dewy.

It’s a given.  Something has changed pattern wise that doesn’t let cP air masses sink down here enough to get low dews with warm days.  Its all cT and mT air all the time… and if we do cool off it’s mP air and still elevated moisture levels.

Melting the permafrost off/northward and changing the source region dynamics, along with prevailing global circulations lately, seems like it’s a slam dunk going forward for above normal temps and elevated dew points.

Hit 85F up here today. We seem to have some high-end heat relative to climo in May over the past 5 years… only to struggle to those temps again for sometimes a couple months.  Wonder if we can get near 90F as 850-925mb temps warm a couple degrees.

50 minutes ago, kdxken said:

He looks great for 90.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Agreed, that’s awesome.  Dude could pass for 70 years old compared to some people.

He still grades the roads in southern Quebec and did his own addition a couple years ago on his house.. the guy is wild lol 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I will say the heat pump makes it too easy, too quiet, and not expensive.  I’ll probably have the windows open later but it quickly takes that afternoon solar heat build-up out.

Odd to look up and still see snow patches glistening white from town and having some A/C running.

No AC here yet. Open windows and ceiling fans are fine. I can’t install yet anyway since we are having new siding installed and the last of our old windows replaced. Hopefully next year’s project is the mini splits. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

No AC here yet. Open windows and ceiling fans are fine. I can’t install yet anyway since we are having new siding installed and the last of our old windows replaced. Hopefully next year’s project is the mini splits. 

Yeah it’s off now and windows are open.  It was borderline but nice to cool it off when home from the after-work hike and dog walk.

I’d have all three sliders wide open but the wife is worried about bears following their nose to food sources.  Given what the they do around here to get to good smells, a screened door wouldn’t even be an inconvenience to walk into the kitchen.

Regarding the bolded, I’d recommend the mini-splits to anyone.  Even if you just want to alter the environment of the living space and bedroom, but leave other parts of the home or spare bedrooms out… it is so easy, quiet, convenient to cool or heat a space these days.

Also the actual usage costs are very little.  But there’s a large initial investment. Thats why I have no issue using it for cooling or heating even in short bursts.  You don’t spend $8K to avoid using it.  Pay for the installation and equipment? …  might as well use it at every opportunity.  If it’s hotter than you’d like, you cool.  Cold? Then heat it up fast.

It’s 2024, there are options so you don’t need window units or more intrusive, time consuming and loud units.  Just remote controlled climate.  A good alternative to central cooling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:

He still grades the roads in southern Quebec and did his own addition a couple years ago on his house.. the guy is wild lol 

That’s exactly how you’d want to be at that age. Once activity stops, the body ages quickly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Just install the first floor unit yesterday.  The bedroom unit went in a few days ago. I was sick with Mono a couple weeks ago and as soon  as it started to clear, I was sweating my ass off at night!

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Still gotta watch Sunday and or Monday on the models. Sort of confused which day will feature some showers, but it seems like one or the other might.

"Turning more seasonable temperature wise this weekend. Lot of uncertainty at this point on how things evolve, but it could be unsettled. No washouts anticipated"

Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Still gotta watch Sunday and or Monday on the models. Sort of confused which day will feature some showers, but it seems like one or the other might.

GFS looks pretty crappy here for Monday. Supposed to have our annual 80mi club ride up to Pinkham Notch and over to Evans Notch, back to Fryeburg.  

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

heh... it seems like the models are 'de-amplifying' the entire synopsis in that time span, enough to lower the inundating cool and wet illustration to just inconvenience - I'm just comparing the blended mean from all guidance from previous runs/yesterday.

Looks like as you say, 'showery' but that's offering some dry periods and probably at this time of year, intervals of sun getting through. 

What we obviously don't want ( and probably don't need even - ) is what the GFS was doing 30 hours ago:  it had a huge polar high dome working into N Ontario, with a slow moving weakness at 500 mb carving out just enough nadir from Ohio to NS. That troughy ball sack was then getting squeezed by the high pressure exerting from the north, afflicting 2 straight days of painful easterly llv anomalies along with intermittent steady rain bursts...   Ooh, sign us up.  jesus -

To me the blend now looks - at this time and subject to change .. of course - more like 4 hour periods where it's dicey with disturbances but there is 6 hours between them where it's probably partial sky and drier. 

As we know, it's not uncommon for the models to both be biased to amplitude when in the mid and extended, and to be too amped at this time of year.  Both those error considerations may continue to help us. 

Of course ... sometimes this doesn't help at all - like July 4th weekend 2020.

This looks suspiciously too deep and nucleated to me considering the overall evolution of the total synoptic circumstances surrounding - which is more flaccid. But aloft the Euro is trying to phase a convective feed-back vort max with a wholesale N/stream incursion through the eastern Lakes.  ah ....dubious.

I think slightly weaker low moving up the St L. Seaway, with ( perhaps even ...) a convection day amid a warm sector.  Since that would be what we want, it won't happen, and this anomaly below will just go ahead and take place.  ha

image.png.aacaa6acf11df9b0772a566724b5817b.png

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This looks suspiciously too deep and nucleated to me considering the overall evolution of the total synoptic circumstances surrounding - which is more flaccid. But aloft the Euro is trying to phase a convective feed-back vort max with a wholesale N/stream incursion through the eastern Lakes.  ah ....dubious.

I think slightly weaker low moving up the St L. Seaway, with ( perhaps even ...) a convection day amid a warm sector.  Since that would be what we want, it won't happen, and this anomaly below will just go ahead and take place.  ha

image.png.aacaa6acf11df9b0772a566724b5817b.png

Memorial day cancel.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Today looks like a modest warm bust so far - interestingly.  

64 at BDL with strata murk packing. It's about 20 minutes from melting to mostly sunny so they'll burst rebound, but even here where it's been 90+% insolation since sun up, the temps are acting weighted.  It's not clear why with the 925 to 850 potential, either. interesting. 

71 ...

10 after 10 is under MOS/machine so we'll see.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mreaves said:

Last week I ran the heat pump in AC mode after an hour of cutting/splitting elm firewood.  30 minutes and the sweat had stopped.  

Clouds dissipated by 8:30 this morning, now mostly sunny.  7th straight day with minima in the 50s; 4 days had been the longest such run here.

You know ... this time of year is tricky to draft up what the model-based sensible weather would be. 

For one, the 00z run from 36 hours ago ( GFS ) had a SSE cool bite water inflow into a rain wall moving into western New England by 18z on Sunday.  Looks noting like that now... 

Problem in part is that the flow character overall has seasonally weakened. The weakness allows smaller perturbation and changes from run to run, to dictate rather large sensible weather appeal difference. 

The MEX numbers look way warmer than the model's synoptic cinema would imply is really possible after Thursday. Yet BDL-FIT-ASH are all above 76 with 80s on Sunday.  But then it occurred to me... ha, maybe the problem is my own. My brain is still in winter mode and hasn't gotten the memo entirely LOL.   Can't assume strataform constructs so much anymore.

Overall, this could be just a dewy-er stretch with more hit or miss showery/thunder

image.png.e38aa185f459ac3f276f8ca6d186bc30.png

Maybe just some early CB entertainment followed by a warm humid afternoon on Sunday.

As for MD itself, the GFS has actually been all over the map with where to place QPF blobs and low pressure.  Time to start thinking more summer.  The seasonal torpid gradients and nebular characteristic makes the mid range darty.