• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 2024

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

My guess is that the much stronger spring blocking at times in recent years has been compensating to some extent. The hard freeze last May over the interior occurred with one of the strongest -EPO +PNA blocks on record for that time of year. But the stronger spring blocking at times can’t affect the earlier arrival of spring. So we get these overlaps leading to damaging freezes in susceptible arras. 

5BC47876-D5C5-4674-AC82-9C6AF33FE247.jpeg.0229f091f7e47234f062e46445f69ff2.jpeg

F41E9E91-038B-4FAF-8FE7-2027FD40345F.webp.d8355c531d136f7d67758a89e8b5fd03.webp

absolutely-- we don't exist in a vacuum.  The planet can to some extent self regulate and nature tries to balance out the human caused changes by adjusting in return.

13 minutes ago, bluewave said:

My guess is that the much stronger spring blocking at times in recent years has been compensating to some extent. The hard freeze last May over the interior occurred with one of the strongest -EPO +PNA blocks on record for that time of year. But the stronger spring blocking at times can’t affect the earlier arrival of spring. So we get these overlaps leading to damaging freezes in susceptible arras. 

5BC47876-D5C5-4674-AC82-9C6AF33FE247.jpeg.0229f091f7e47234f062e46445f69ff2.jpeg

F41E9E91-038B-4FAF-8FE7-2027FD40345F.webp.d8355c531d136f7d67758a89e8b5fd03.webp

what caused the crazy May 9, 2020 arctic shot, Chris?

was it the strongest arctic shot in May since May 9, 1977 or maybe even stronger?

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Might need rain soon…

Pattern looks locked in for a while.  No meaningful rain next 7-10 days, perhaps even beyond.  Wet corridor next week or so running from Texas to western Lakes.  Some excessive totals likely there.  Dry here.  Overall soil moisture is in good shape as are watershed supplies.  Topsoil will dry notably over the next week though.  On the bright side the grass seed I planted is doing well.  Light watering daily is enough and no heavy rain to wash it away.  Timed that right.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

what caused the crazy May 9, 2020 arctic shot, Chris?

was it the strongest arctic shot in May since May 9, 1977 or maybe even stronger?

The winter was dominated by the record  polar vortex over the Arctic which got driven south by the strong -EPO block in early May.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Even areas of Long Island closer to the LIE could reach the 80s on Monday ahead of any backdoor cold front. 

A69FB78E-8EA3-41F0-AAB9-D13FB8563D0D.thumb.png.76b5cbdaa61119ab6024b3071b670284.png

those fronts can give us a small boost from compressional heating

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Even areas of Long Island closer to the LIE could reach the 80s on Monday ahead of any backdoor cold front. 

A69FB78E-8EA3-41F0-AAB9-D13FB8563D0D.thumb.png.76b5cbdaa61119ab6024b3071b670284.png

If we have westerly vs southerly flow on Mon it should be off to the races. Any downslope component/help and compressional heating near the sea breeze boundary will rocket us up E of the city. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MANDA said:

Pattern looks locked in for a while.  No meaningful rain next 7-10 days, perhaps even beyond.  Wet corridor next week or so running from Texas to western Lakes.  Some excessive totals likely there.  Dry here.  Overall soil moisture is in good shape as are watershed supplies.  Topsoil will dry notably over the next week though.  On the bright side the grass seed I planted is doing well.  Light watering daily is enough and no heavy rain to wash it away.  Timed that right.

The soil has really dried out here. I'm watering the vegetable garden every other day now. I'd like to see some rain, but as you said it appears the pattern will be dry for quite awhile. A couple chances next week (Tuesday and Friday), but they don't look impressive right now. I hope this isn't gonna be a case of going from one extreme to another after the very wet pattern we had. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Is this how it's often hottest just after a cold front passes?

Usually somewhere between JFK and LGA eastward along the LIE out to near Commack just north and west of where the sea breeze front sets up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

The soil has really dried out here. I'm watering the vegetable garden every other day now. I'd like to see some rain, but as you said it appears the pattern will be dry for quite awhile. A couple chances next week (Tuesday and Friday), but they don't look impressive right now. I hope this isn't gonna be a case of going from one extreme to another after the very wet pattern we had. 

Lost a couple leaf lettuce plants, a cauliflower and basil last night. Wasn't ready. Lettuce, despite being a cooler weather crop, is mostly water, so if it's cold, forget it. Supposed to water them the day before a frost, wasn't expecting ice on the windows today. I mean, it's freakin late April.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Lost a couple leaf lettuce plants, a cauliflower and basil last night. Wasn't ready. Lettuce, despite being a cooler weather crop, is mostly water, so if it's cold, forget it. Supposed to water them the day before a frost, wasn't expecting ice on the windows today. I mean, it's freakin late April.

The thing is though, lettuce is supposed to be planted in late March in this area. If you plant lettuce now, it's way too late of a start since it will be maturing in weather that's too warm. Maybe leaf lettuce is more vulnerable, but I've never had a problem with my romaine lettuce plants taking a frost/freeze. I was just outside and they still look great after last last night's freeze. No problem for the broccoli, peas and radishes as well. I did water very well yesterday. My lettuce is just about ready and I'm gonna pick some today. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Usually somewhere between JFK and LGA eastward along the LIE out to near Commack just north and west of where the sea breeze front sets up.

Would be funny how often times in Long Beach our hottest temps during a heat wave everywhere else would be as it’s ending after the cold front passes and the wind turns N with the hot air from the city coming through. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

hey, maybe we can use this to define new record highs?

does Nassau county have something like this for the area around Mineola?

I believe that 108° In Mineola during 2010 was probably the highest temperature on record for Long Island. But the site shut down in 2011. Ed was the president of the Long Island Weather Observers. The site was in operation from 1938 to 2011. His observations were featured every evening on News 12 for years. 

In Mineola, temperatures hit a low of 6 degrees on Dec. 23, according to Ed Lynt, president of the Long Island Weather Observers, a volunteer organization

Time Series Summary for MINEOLA, NY - Jan through Dec
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2010 108 0
2 2001 105 32
3 1999 103 10
- 1966 103 0
5 1988 102 50
- 1975 102 1
- 1948 102 1
8 2002 101 0
- 1973 101 0
- 1968 101 0
- 1952 101 0
12 2006 100 1
- 1993 100 8
- 1991 100 0
- 1957 100 12
- 1955 100 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

I believe that 108° In Mineola during 2010 was probably the highest temperature on record for Long Island. But the site shut down in 2011. Ed was the president of the Long Island Weather Observers. The site was in operation from 1938 to 2011. His observations were featured every evening on News 12 for years. 

In Mineola, temperatures hit a low of 6 degrees on Dec. 23, according to Ed Lynt, president of the Long Island Weather Observers, a volunteer organization

Time Series Summary for MINEOLA, NY - Jan through Dec
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2010 108 0
2 2001 105 32
3 1999 103 10
- 1966 103 0
5 1988 102 50
- 1975 102 1
- 1948 102 1
8 2002 101 0
- 1973 101 0
- 1968 101 0
- 1952 101 0
12 2006 100 1
- 1993 100 8
- 1991 100 0
- 1957 100 12
- 1955 100 3

We're really going to miss him -- I wish we had that mesonet set up that the city does so we could keep track of local temperatures

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Would be funny how often times in Long Beach our hottest temps during a heat wave everywhere else would be as it’s ending after the cold front passes and the wind turns N with the hot air from the city coming through. 

I had some interesting temperature observations during all my years back in Long Beach. One day we had a high of 85° through around 5pm while we were south of the sea breeze front. It was around 100° near NYC. A line of strong to severe storms formed and a gust frost developed. It shifted the winds to W to NW and my thermometer jumped from 85° to 97° in about 5 minutes. Another day the sea breeze front only made it to the boardwalk. It was in the upper 80s on the beach with a slight WSW flow and a westerly flow north of Shore road with mid 90s. But most days during the summer we were usually well south of the sea breeze front. Ambrose jets were very common with plenty of blowing sand right onto the streets near the beach. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I had some interesting temperature observations during all my years back in Long Beach. One day we had a high of 85° through around 5pm while we were south of the sea breeze front. It was around 100° near NYC. A line of strong to severe storms formed and a gust frost developed. It shifted the winds to W to NW and my thermometer jumped from 85° to 97° in about 5 minutes. Another day the sea breeze front only made it to the boardwalk. It was in the upper 80s on the beach with a slight WSW flow and a westerly flow north of Shore road with mid 90s. But most days during the summer we were usually well south of the sea breeze front. Ambrose jets were very common with plenty of blowing sand right onto the streets near the beach. 

97 would be a cheap daytime high on a day like that but it counts! 

• Like 1

The mainly fair weather will continue after another cool start, particularly outside of Philadelphia and New York City. However, it will likely turn noticeably warmer on Sunday. Monday could be the warmest day of the week with widespread readings in the upper 70s and lower 80s. The hottest spots could reach the middle or upper 80s. May will likely start out with warmer to much warmer than normal temperatures.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.7°C for the week centered around April 10. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.17°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.03°C. The ongoing basinwide El Niño event is fading. Neutral conditions could develop later in the spring.

The SOI was +0.58 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.942 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 99% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal April (1991-2020 normal). April will likely finish with a mean temperature near 55.5° (1.8° above normal).

Records:

Highs:

EWR:  93 (2009)
NYC: 92  (2009)
LGA: 91 (2009)
JFK: 86 (2009)

Lows:

EWR:  34 (1934)
NYC: 31 (1919)
LGA: 37 (1972)
JFK: 37 (1967)

Historical:

1834 - Killer frosts were reported in the Deep South. The frost was quite severe around Huntsville AL, and highlighted a backward spring in the South that year. (David Ludlum)

1884: Tornadoes were hard to capture on old cameras with their hard to use glass plate negatives. The first recorded photograph of a tornado was taken on this date by A.A. Adams near Garnett, Kansas. 

1978 - An unusually strong occluded front swept out of the Gulf of Alaska and produced the first April thunderstorm of record at Fairbanks. Pea size hail fell northeast of Fairbanks from thunderstorms whose tops were less than 8000 feet. (The Weather Channel)

1984 - Severe thunderstorms associated with an intense cyclone spawned a total of forty-seven tornadoes in two days from Louisiana to Upper Michigan. The tornadoes killed 16 persons and injured 259 others. (Storm Data)

1986: The Chernobyl nuclear power station in Kiev Ukraine suffered a massive explosion. The radioactive cloud of particles and gas carried westward and northwestward, contaminating large areas of Europe in the following week.

1987 - Twenty-two cities in the central and western U.S. reported new record high temperatures for the date. The afternoon high of 83 degrees at Astoria OR smashed their previous record by 13 degrees. Sacramento CA hit 94 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - While Rochester, MN, was blanketed with 13.7 inches of snow, establishing a single storm record for the month of April, Minneapolis MN, just 90 miles away, got only rain. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Thirty-three cities in the central and southeastern U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date. Afternoon highs of 91 degrees at Evansville IN and Nashville TN equalled April records. Thunderstorms produced severe weather from Iowa to Kentucky, with more than ninety reports of large hail and damaging winds. Thunderstorm winds gusted to 90 mph at Berwick IA. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - Twenty-nine cities from the Carolinas to the Great Lakes Region and western New England reported record high temperatures for the date as readings soared into the 80s and lower 90s. Record high temperatures included 95 degrees at Baltimore MD and 92 degrees at Allentown PA. The record high of 89 degrees at Alpena MI was the third out of six straight record highs for that location, and smashed their previous record for the date by ten degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

1991 - Severe thunderstorms in the central U.S. spawned fifty-five tornadoes from northeastern Texas to Iowa and eastern Nebraska killing twenty-one persons. Early evening thunderstorms over south central Kansas spawned a violent (F-5) tornado whiched traveled 45 miles from southwest of Wichita to north of El Dorado. It killed seventeen persons, including thirteen at the Golden Spur Mobile Home Park in Andover. The tornado also caused 62 million dollars damage to McConnell Air Force Base as it crossed the south side of Wichita. (National Weather Summary

1991:During a severe thunderstorm event, large hail fell over parts of Brown, Spink, Hand, and Buffalo Counties. Both Brown and Hand Counties received hail up to 1.75 inches in diameter.

2003 - Twenty inches of snow falls in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. Alpine Meadows ski resort just north of Lake Tahoe reports more than 100 inches and Kirkwood south of Tahoe reports 112 inches.