• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

7 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Same here.  Pretty intense.  Light fixtures were swinging and dishes were rattling.  When it was over almost all the pictures in the house were noticeably crooked.  It all started with a loud sonic boom type of a sound.

a building in Newark deemed unsafe and also cracks visible in driveways and on the roads.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Go away ;)

I had a much longer affect, 20 seconds easily starting with a bang then up and down with a lateral feel to it. Rattling windows and pictures on the outside walls. I was in the stone sunroom that sits on bedrock so it was probably amplified somewhat compared to a home on a slab over soil. The best part was the sound. It was like a huge helicopter directly overhead and it made my knees quiver. Cool shit. 

somewhat more powerful than an eclipse ;)

1 hour ago, JetsPens87 said:

I know absolute donkey squat about earthquakes other than a core geology class that maybe had a 10 minute section on it.

Above ground = meteorology 

Below ground = geology

Maybe one of these days we'll have computer models that predict when and where earthquakes have a higher chance of occurring.

2 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Honest question - is there anything in a meteorologist's training that would make them particularly knowledgable about earthquakes?  I ask because most of the on air folks I'm watching today seem to be struggling.  Granted, they're being asked to make a story out of something which, other than some shaking and the novelty of it, is a not much of a story, but some of it is frankly tough to watch.  

Nerds know nerdy things, other than that, no.

2 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Honest question - is there anything in a meteorologist's training that would make them particularly knowledgable about earthquakes?  I ask because most of the on air folks I'm watching today seem to be struggling.  Granted, they're being asked to make a story out of something which, other than some shaking and the novelty of it, is a not much of a story, but some of it is frankly tough to watch.  

Meteorology and seismology share some common ground, yet they represent distinct scientific disciplines. I suspect producers may assume all scientists are interchangeable, but in reality, understanding seismology requires independent study. While an atmospheric scientist might manage to gather basic knowledge through quick research, a deeper understanding typically necessitates dedicated study.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

4.0 magnitude in the same spot

At least it looks like the main event was this morning and that these are aftershocks, rather than foreshocks (admittedly much more rare). That, or the US has taken North Koreas idea and began underground testing :rolleyes:

Just now, USCG RS said:

At least it looks like the main event was this morning and that these are aftershocks, rather than foreshocks (admittedly much more rare). That, or the US has taken North Koreas idea and began underground testing :rolleyes:

I hope these aren’t foreshocks.

• Like 3