• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Congrats Dendrite Deck Destroyer 3/23-3/25 obs discussion

Ginx snewx

Interesting that parts of the St Lawrence River Valley is also bare on the north side of the storm.
 1542378940_Screenshot2024-03-24141433.thumb.jpg.020e971c74548d6fb1b88954976e4978.jpg

Interesting also that the band of heaviest snow is almost exactly parallel to ( but about 50 miles south of) the path of totality of the eclipse in 2 weeks.

Interesting also that the band of heaviest snow is almost exactly parallel to ( but about 50 miles south of) the path of totality of the eclipse in 2 weeks.

Actually the northern edge in this pic tracks the northern edge of totality almost exactly.

6.8" of sleety, slushy snow that froze into a glacier overnight last night. 2.15" liquid equivalent. 

It was a weird event in that the usual mountain vs. valley snow dipoles didn't exist with this storm as it was pretty much all overrunning with a weak low and midlevel wind field. It's not everyday when Bennington (10") gets more from a synoptic snowstorm than I do. Purely a latitudinal gradient with snow increasing from SSE to NNW around here.

82.6" for the season, while Landgrove at 1,900' about 30 miles NNE of my location has had 129.4". Usually he and I quite similar, but I've been on the wrong side of the gradient several times this winter... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wxmanmitch said:

It was a weird event in that the usual mountain vs. valley snow dipoles didn't exist with this storm as it was pretty much all overrunning with a weak low and midlevel wind field. It's not everyday when Bennington (10") gets more from a synoptic snowstorm than I do. Purely a latitudinal gradient with snow increasing from SSE to NNW around here.

This wasn’t an elevational event.  The QPF and precip type was decided by the thermals and mid-level lift.  There was no elevational difference once into NNE.  Valley got more than 3,000ft here.  The usual elevational differences don’t apply; it was all mid-level lift.

Mountains seeing 20” also saw nearby lower elevations see 20”.

• Like 5

This is true. I think my high for the day was 29.2. It did feel like we almost tainted with sleet, or more specifically a partial melt/refreeze at around 10AM just based on the sound and sting of the snow, but it flipped back to dry snow by the next run. I wish I had done a core, but I'm guessing ratios were probably in the 12:1 ratio. Epic event.

Deep winter feel at Loon on Saturday / Sunday with free refills followed by a bluebird day of soft turns. Hard to not have fun, even with the comedy of errors by management, impacting morning enjoyment.

As of 7AM on Sunday Loon's main lodge parking (which is the majority of their parking), had yet to be plowed. With snow wrapping up prior to midnight the night before, was shocked to see how poorly snow removal was handled. Perhaps due to lack of resources, or maybe the Ikon / Boyne Special! 

IMG_0067.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CCHurricane said:

Deep winter feel at Loon on Saturday / Sunday with free refills followed by a bluebird day of soft turns. Hard to not have fun, even with the comedy of errors by management, impacting morning enjoyment.

As of 7AM on Sunday Loon's main lodge parking (which is the majority of their parking), had yet to be plowed. With snow wrapping up prior to midnight the night before, was shocked to see how poorly snow removal was handled. Perhaps due to lack of resources, or maybe the Ikon / Boyne Special! 

I referenced in a previous post the backup on 93 getting off at the Lincoln exit Sunday morning. I got caught in a similar backup - thankfully I was off the highway - on 112 over MLK weekend. From the off-ramp to the main entrance is almost 3 miles and it took us at least 30 minutes to get by there. When we passed by, they were turning cars around b/c the parking was full. I would have been ballistic as a customer. 

1 hour ago, Angus said:

I referenced in a previous post the backup on 93 getting off at the Lincoln exit Sunday morning. I got caught in a similar backup - thankfully I was off the highway - on 112 over MLK weekend. From the off-ramp to the main entrance is almost 3 miles and it took us at least 30 minutes to get by there. When we passed by, they were turning cars around b/c the parking was full. I would have been ballistic as a customer. 

A lot of unhappy people on what should have been the best day of the year. Silver lining was the lack of lines at Governor Lodge since no one could park in the main lot! 

Absurd they don't have a digital sign down near main street indicating the parking situation at each of their lots. 

5 hours ago, CCHurricane said:

The bolded is a tough miss by a ski area’s contracted plow service.  A huge miss.  Contracts would be in jeopardy at most areas if you aren’t dug out and plowed by arrival time in the morning.  Especially late season when early plowing bids may start coming in not long afterward following the season.

You need those parking lots dialed on busy post-storm days to maximize parking and efficiency.  Front end loaders, dump trucks with plows, the tractors with 7 foot wheels… every tool needs to be out on those days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

The bolded is a tough miss by a ski area’s contracted plow service.  A huge miss.  Contracts would be in jeopardy at most areas if you aren’t dug out and plowed by arrival time in the morning.  Especially late season when early plowing bids may start coming in not long afterward following the season.

You need those parking lots dialed on busy post-storm days to maximize parking and efficiency.  Front end loaders, dump trucks with plows, the tractors with 7 foot wheels… every tool needs to be out on those days.

I guess we had to call our plow contract in too. Mid shift ended up parking on the side of the road.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Killington also had a plowing mess on Sunday. The Skyeship parking lot was still a partially plowed mess at 10AM causing traffic on Rt 4 to back up all the way to Bridgewater Corners (about a 20 minute backup). I've never seen anything like that even on the busiest holiday weekends. I skied Pico but had to wait in the backup to get there. Parking was a challenge at Pico, too, but that was mostly just because of the limited space.

What a run we've had, though. Between this past weekend and the weekend of the 9th, it's been a 10 out of 10 March.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Particularly with the ski/mountain business model evolving to emphasize food & beverage purchases on a day when the mountain should be packed. Throughout the day the Governor Lodge had plenty of space inside and felt like a decent Thursday/Friday, rather than jam packed Sunday. 

8 hours ago, sankaty said:

Killington also had a plowing mess on Sunday. The Skyeship parking lot was still a partially plowed mess at 10AM causing traffic on Rt 4 to back up all the way to Bridgewater Corners (about a 20 minute backup). I've never seen anything like that even on the busiest holiday weekends. I skied Pico but had to wait in the backup to get there. Parking was a challenge at Pico, too, but that was mostly just because of the limited space.

What a run we've had, though. Between this past weekend and the weekend of the 9th, it's been a 10 out of 10 March.

Widespread +30" over the past week, with the 06z GFS hinting at another +30" before it's all said and done. We can hope!