• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring/Summer '24 Banter and Complaint Thread

IWXwx

More than likely the seasonal snowfall total of 27.0" here will be the final total, as I don't see much chance going forward for additional snowfall.

68% of the season's snowfall fell within a 5-day period with 18.4" during that mid-January stretch.  

Even though the total snowfall will end up being several inches below average the snowstorm on Jan 12th (13") made the winter.  The extreme cold that immediately followed was icing on the cake. The rest of the winter was pretty benign from a winter storm tracking perspective, but at least we cashed in during the Jan stretch.

I guess I'd give this winter a B.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

More than likely the seasonal snowfall total of 27.0" here will be the final total, as I don't see much chance going forward for additional snowfall.

68% of the season's snowfall fell within a 5-day period with 18.4" during that mid-January stretch.  

Even though the total snowfall will end up being several inches below average the snowstorm on Jan 12th (13") made the winter.  The extreme cold that immediately followed was icing on the cake. The rest of the winter was pretty benign from a winter storm tracking perspective, but at least we cashed in during the Jan stretch.

I guess I'd give this winter a B.  

I would go D/D-. My lowest seasonal snowfall (21.3") in 29 years of records. A horrendous December and a bad Feb and March too. A terrible winter for snowcover. No 6"+ storms either, but we were kind of due for a winter without one as we have been racking them up, so might as well be during the train wreck of 2023-24. 

All that said. I couldn't go F as many here seem to have hinted they would, for:

-Halloween snow. It was neat to see a dusting during trick or treat. My first measurable Oct snow since 2006. 

-Nov 27 whiteout squall. It was legit near zero visibility for a few moments. I was on the road and could not a see a traffic light that was feet away. 

-Jan 12 thundersnow was incredible. The 4.2" snowfall would be my largest event of the season, but would have been much greater if not for the 5-1 ratios.

-Jan 11-24: the 2 weeks that featured deep winter, the one true saving grace of the season. Snow fell nearly daily, multiple events, wind chills to -30, a brutal cold MLK day (hi/lo 9/-3), and a week of 5-7" snowpack was perfect for all outdoor winter fun.

-Feb 15- in and out like a summer storm, a deluge of snow came down for an hour and dropped 2".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll go D here. What really broke me early this winter is that it felt like several of our chances were real chances, until suddenly they weren't. The hype train had definitely left the station at least a couple times only to get accidentally routed into a siding. I guess it's cool that we had even two weeks of real winter, but it was hard to enjoy it in the shadow of what could've been. 

• Like 1

I am going to go as a C around here.   

Snow: Oct/Nov/Jan: all above normal snow.  Dec: a bit below.  February: nothing needs to be said.  March is looking basically normal-ish.   Incredibly I currently stand a bit over 50" of snow.

Reason for this high of grade:

Really did awesome during that January stretch.

While February didn't do anything winter like there was lots of sun, several great dog walking days and 2 separate thunderstorm events.  Yes this actually helped because if it was raw and cloudy it would have dropped my grade!!

I actually might end up around my normal ~60".

Reason for not a higher grade:

Very poor snow cover.

Absolutely horrid winter sports.  

Green Christmas.

Unless something "major" happens this will likely be my final grade.

• Like 2

I'd say this winter was a C- here. The theme of this winter was what it wasn't doing for really all but two weeks. Basically no snowcover, consistent temps in the 30s and 40s, and two double digit positive monthly anomalies. A green Christmas with 50s and rain, and oh yeah a sigtor on February 8th (!). However, the two weeks that were wintry were one of the more intense winter periods we have had in the last 5 years. Probably number 3 after the last week of Jan in 2019 and the two weeks in Feb 2021. Over 20 inches of snow followed by a week in the single digits is pretty intense no matter what the winter is. And that snowpack was extremely solid. Even with the constant 40s after the period, it still took over two weeks for the snowpack to melt. If it was a normal winter we might just now be finishing off that snowpack. So I can't really go too low with the score because of that. Hence, my score of a C-.

• Like 4

I’m going to go with a B-. This winter had potential, and for two weeks, it was  A Thing.  Real, solid, Winter.  But in the end, gotta admit that it was merely a pause between Fall and Spring, a tiny gap between the red leaves of Fall and the green buds of Spring. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Surprised that "generous" lol.

It did snow, and it wasn't in the teens for amounts. And that 2 week period was pretty good, plus it was mostly active we were just on the bad side of things too much.

• Like 2

I guess my winter was a B-.  We were able to just barely exceed our average snowfall, which included the near record snow week in January.  At this point, if it's not going to snow, give me warmth, so I enjoyed the warmth through much of the Dec-Feb period.

• Like 2

Neither of our major national news partners at work (NBC News, and CNN) have ANY affiliate content available for the 50th anniversary of the Super Outbreak. Zilch. Nada.

Another sad reminder that there are severe weather geeks, and then there's everybody else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Neither of our major national news partners at work (NBC News, and CNN) have ANY affiliate content available for the 50th anniversary of the Super Outbreak. Zilch. Nada.

Another sad reminder that there are severe weather geeks, and then there's everybody else.

It's an election year. All other news goes on the back burner.

Will grade this out as a C+. Around 26-27" total this year which sadly is better than the last few years. Considering my area cashed in on the two weeks of winter in January and has been favored compared to the rest of LOT for other small events, better than could be expected considering the overall winter futility.

• Like 1