• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 General Discussion

15 hours ago, mnchaserguy said:

Also, how many times have we had a white Halloween and Easter and a green Christmas?

Possible up your way.  The next system looks to immediately melt it all here.  :( Kind of useless this time of year.  I’ll take it now if April can flip back to warm / thunder.

• Like 1

It's the first day of Spring, so I thought it would be good to wrap up Winter data. Some data has yet to come in, but that is nothing unusual. Agencies report when they report. 

Feb 2024 is currently running in 2nd behind 1998 by a couple tenths. 1998 (6.074) & 2024 (5.803*) This will change when all data comes in later. How much is yet to be seen. 

5 & 10 year trend charts shown respectively.

Midwest Feb anom 5yr.gif

Midwest Feb anom 10yr.gif

As for Winter 2023/24, it's currently 3rd by the slimmest of margins behind 1931/32. 1931/32 (4.479) & 2023/24 (4.459*). Once all Feb data comes in, we'll see how that goes.

Midwest winter anom 5yr.gif

Midwest winter anom 10yr.gif

Looking like 3"-5" overnight and tomorrow.  High end totals could push us out of even a top 20 least snowy winter.  Crazy a winter this bad can look a little better than it seems when comparing to past duds.  It is hard to imagine a winter with less snow than this but the historical record would say about 1 in every 6 has been this bad or worse.

Forecast discussion out of NWS DLH. Expecting a good ol' fashioned blizzard here on the North Shore.

The main feature of the forecast is the expansive Colorado Low
that is progged to arrive late Sunday and linger through early
Wednesday. Latest guidance has pushed the arrival back several
hours, and maybe decreased the overall QPF from the system a
bit, but this still appears like it will be a significant
system with long periods of heavy QPF in a cold air mass with
strong northeast winds off of Lake Superior. I would expect
blizzard conditions to develop along the North Shore with winds
gusting to 45 to 50 mph in heavy snow. In terms of ensemble
spread, the floor or minimum amounts of snow expected with this
system are quite high at 6 to 9" over the most populated areas
of our forecast area, the ceiling or maximum amount of snowfall
expected are also quite high with over 2 feet possible (some
locations may approach 30")!
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

@mississaugasnowYYZ has somehow surpassed 09-10 and 52-53 and is now sitting at 4th least snowiest on record. Friday's storm could make the difference if we surpass 06-07 or not. 

Won't change anything. This was winter was total horseshit. But glad we avoided a futility winter. 

A top 10 least snow is pretty bad lol. I think we see about 10cm or 4” 

Hamilton is still most likely a top 5 worst 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Looking like 3"-5" overnight and tomorrow.  High end totals could push us out of even a top 20 least snowy winter.  Crazy a winter this bad can look a little better than it seems when comparing to past duds.  It is hard to imagine a winter with less snow than this but the historical record would say about 1 in every 6 has been this bad or worse.

GRR doing its Braveheart thing as usual.....

image.png.617da73ec0e4cd9691a59f9200f4239d.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cary67 said:

Even though under WWA expect maybe 1" of slop far SE McHenry. Maybe 2-3" up on the IL/WI border 

Depends on where the F-Gen band sets up.

Wherever it does, there will likely will be a corridor of up to 6", maybe even higher.

• Like 1

MSP could end up with a top 5 snowiest March if the 2 (possibly 3) systems put out decently by Easter. If not MSP, some of the other stns across S MN sure could.

40.0 - 1951

37.1 - 1965

36.8 - 1985

29.9 - 1917

25.6 - 1940

9 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Three days ago the Euro was consistently showing 2-3" of rain across eastern Iowa from the upcoming big storm.  This is what it has devolved into.

image.thumb.png.c77f42a602d5500f2d422621822e4bc4.png

Looks like your being dry slotted now. Well, I say "Don't count your chicks before they hatch". Models, and reality are 2 separate things. :) 

On 3/20/2024 at 2:45 PM, Brian D said:

As for Winter 2023/24, it's currently 3rd by the slimmest of margins behind 1931/32. 1931/32 (4.479) & 2023/24 (4.459*). Once all Feb data comes in, we'll see how that goes.

Midwest winter anom 5yr.gif

Midwest winter anom 10yr.gif

1931-32 was definitely warmer for the southern lakes and Midwest, but I think for the upper Midwest 2023-24 was a bit warmer.

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Wow. Just curious? What kind of numbers are you talking for it to be biggest in a generation.

If it can get to 6” or more it hasn’t happened in 20+ years this late in the season 

currently looking at about 3-6” on most models 

4” or more starts to become a once every 5 years or so after March 15th

So this storm if it can deliver is pretty rare for GTA 

Certainly El Niño style end of winter 

• Like 1

P&C was bumped up to 4.1” imby for tonight’s event. NWS must think the heavier band will setup over the twin cities. We shall see. 

P&C is at 17” for the Sunday/Monday storm. Shocked it’s that high tbh. Models have been trending more frozen precip today but given the complexity of the setup I think it’ll be a nowcast type of storm. 

• Like 1

P&C was bumped up to 4.1” imby for tonight’s event. NWS must think the heavier band will setup over the twin cities. We shall see. 

P&C is at 17” for the Sunday/Monday storm. Shocked it’s that high tbh. Models have been trending more frozen precip today but given the complexity of the setup I think it’ll be a nowcast type of storm. 

MPX bumped up the zone area forecast for me in Anoka county up to 4-6” tonight. I’m real surprised no winter storm watches have been issued for this weekend anywhere yet.