• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 General Discussion

Incredibly early start to spring here. Flowers are blooming weeks ahead of normal and the grass greened up within the first week of the month. I'm actually thankful for the current cool spell that has set in as it should slow things down a bit. Fruit crops will take big losses in a seasonable April freeze if growth gets much further ahead.

Went to Oklahoma over the end of last week and this weekend.  On Thursday I drove through the storms around Chicago and saw some good lightning.  Then I went through MO as the storms were going off.  Lots of wind and good lightning but thankfully no hail while driving. :thumbsup:  Now I am home and its cold with ~1" of snow on the ground this morning.  :yikes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Its cold out there. I hope this does not impact the fruit industry in this state.

4 minutes ago, Brian D said:

A longer stretch of a false Spring, followed by wintry wx can cause serious damage. Wait and see I guess.

Looking at the current condition of the buds, I don't believe there is any concern yet around here.  From my experience with apple, cherry and peach trees is that the damage occurs once the blossom is out (or just popping out) and you get a good freeze or strong frost.  When I was travelling this past weekend I didn't seem many blossoms until I got around and south of Springfield IL.   St. Louis all the way to Oklahoma City area there were several trees in full blossom.  A major freeze in those areas would be bad for them.   

What made Morch 2012 so bad is the flowers came out but the bees were not out.  While the later freeze did cause some damage, most blossoms never got properly pollenated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

Looking at the current condition of the buds, I don't believe there is any concern yet around here.  From my experience with apple, cherry and peach trees is that the damage occurs once the blossom is out (or just popping out) and you get a good freeze or strong frost.  When I was travelling this past weekend I didn't seem many blossoms until I got around and south of Springfield IL.   St. Louis all the way to Oklahoma City area there were several trees in full blossom.  A major freeze in those areas would be bad for them.   

What made Morch 2012 so bad is the flowers came out but the bees were not out.  While the later freeze did cause some damage, most blossoms never got properly pollenated. 

Here's a guide for Apple trees

Screenshot_20240314_104012_OneDrive.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Here's a guide for Apple trees

Screenshot_20240314_104012_OneDrive.jpg

Around this area some apple buds are silver tip but most are not even that far yet.  Further south and west of here in MI I bet there are more silver tips but I don't think much past that stage in at least most of MI. 

Quite a bullish afternoon forecast discussion by MPX. This tidbit at the end caught my attention. Things are about to change.

“However, after the benign
winter and how dry it`s been (MSP is now experiencing their
second longest stretch ever with less than 0.01"), this system
could bring major impacts to the region for a prolonged period.”
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Quite a bullish afternoon forecast discussion by MPX. This tidbit at the end caught my attention. Things are about to change.

“However, after the benign
winter and how dry it`s been (MSP is now experiencing their
second longest stretch ever with less than 0.01"), this system
could bring major impacts to the region for a prolonged period.”

Hope you guys get the goods. Certainly looks like a memorable time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lightning said:

Around this area some apple buds are silver tip but most are not even that far yet.  Further south and west of here in MI I bet there are more silver tips but I don't think much past that stage in at least most of MI. 

I have 2 apple trees planted in fall. They are at stage 2 on the chart.

• Like 2