• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

I don't recall any winter being much better frankly, since 2015.

Some had a March event that sort of "cheated" their way to a modest recovery but ... I hate winter in March as a standing wave phenomenon ...so those don't count for me. LOL. 

DJF have all been equally yummy shit-stuffed-down-throat seasons, year after year, now exceeding the length of the 1980s "abysmality"  (inventing words)

I realize this is not be as true across northern and rarer, central New England.. but along the Rt Poop corridor down here - it's been winter shits for a long, long, long long time

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Some had a March event that sort of "cheated" their way to a modest recovery but ... I hate winter in March as a standing wave phenomenon ...so those don't count for me. LOL. 

DJF have all been equal shit stuffed down the throat seasons now exceeding the length of the 1980s "abysmality"  (inventing words)

I realize this is not true across northern and rarer, central New England.. but along Rt Poop corridor down here - it's been winter shits for a long, long, long long time

2017-2018 was a great winter, aside from February.

18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

+6 to +10 is some kind of big anomaly but you know... it doesn't "feel" like a torch to me.  

I think it is because I am still overwhelmed/integrating those 80 ( yeah, 80) events we had in two Feb's, 4 or 5 different March's ...and even a couple April's with a 90 we experienced over the last 10 years. It's probably making my perspective on what a torch is as a little biased.  I know it has not been higher than 62 here at mi casa this year, so far though. 

I'm wondering if this is like the warmest it has been while not actually getting to above 62 - maybe it's all in the lows or just a weird homogeneous same high temp every day or something. 

Feels like a sneakier +8 ...

It'll be interesting to see how these averages look on the 25th and there's some 10 days of -4 SD EPO behind us

Maxes and mins are about even up here anomaly wise…maybe more biased toward mins down there and especially toward the coast after some of those onshore flow airmasses. But 2012 was a unicorn and the first dozen days of March are a little early for consistent records in the 70s. But I agree…we’re losing perspective of what should be a “torch” this time of year and it’s further clouded by DIT’s days and days 70s and 80s which was never really a possibility. Everything has to go right for 70+ this time of year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

2017-2018 was a great winter, aside from February.

mm  sure, why not.  some hyperbole to that -

It's getting buried in a different consistency perhaps.   Whatever it was, it doesn't really imprint indelibly in my memory for whatever reason.  I'd have to stare at the objective monthly temperature means, and the snowfall - drill down to specific events and probably of more importance, the geographic pork zones - I wonder if my zone happened to win the sore butt contest. 

Whenever these discussion come around ... much of the disagreement is fashioned from personal experience bias -

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Maxes and mins are about even up here anomaly wise…maybe more biased toward mins down there and especially toward the coast after some of those onshore flow airmasses. But 2012 was a unicorn and the first dozen days of March are a little early for consistent records in the 70s. But I agree…we’re losing perspective of what should be a “torch” this time of year and it’s further clouded by DIT’s days and days 70s and 80s which was never really a possibility. Everything has to go right for 70+ this time of year. 

HAHAHA

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mm  sure, why not.  some hyperbole to that -

It's getting buried in a different consistency perhaps.   Whatever it was, it doesn't really imprint indelibly in my memory for whatever reason.  I'd have to stare at the objective monthly temperature means, and the snowfall - drill down to specific events and probably of more importance, the geographic pork zones - I wonder if my zone is happened to be a sore butt. 

Whenever these discussion come around ... much of the disagreement is fashioned from personal experience bias -

I'm suprised March 2018 doesn't stick out in your memory...was my snowiest March on record. And we had the XMAS AM snowstorm....

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

DJF have all been equally yummy shit-stuffed-down-throat seasons, year after year, now exceeding the length of the 1980s "abysmality"  (inventing words)

I realize this is not be as true across northern and rarer, central New England.. but along the Rt Poop corridor down here - it's been winter shits for a long, long, long long time

I'm not crazy about March snowstorms either, they're nice to have but with the sun angle the melting starts immediately. I prefer to start building a pack end of Dec beginning of Jan with additions in Feb, 2015 was good for that but I also like 2011.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm suprised March 2018 doesn't stick out in your memory...was my snowiest March on record. And we had the XMAS AM snowstorm....

We had the one storm ... I did write words to the affect of some March's made a modest late recovery - but I also qualified that as meaning less for "me,"  because I hate winter by now. 

That's just a John thing.  I've never been much of a winter appreciator by ...really Feb 20th but negotiable through the end of the month.  Once into March?  keep it -

Just commiserating -   ...there are those that share in my feelings on March protracting winters. 

I am perfectly willing to be a complete hypocritical douche if/when 1888 rings the doorbell.  Or even a April 1982 ... 1997.  etc.  But in a way, those are not hypocritical scenarios. Those sort of exceptionally rare events transcend the 'seasonal druthers' as just being amazing natural events period.  They were so rare and exotic that one would have to be on the spectrum or just an idiot not to appreciate in the different light.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

+6 to +10 is some kind of big anomaly but you know... it doesn't "feel" like a torch to me.  

I think it is because I am still overwhelmed/integrating those 80 ( yeah, 80) events we had in two Feb's, 4 or 5 different March's ...and even a couple April's with a 90 we experienced over the last 10 years. It's probably making my perspective on what a torch is as a little biased.  I know it has not been higher than 62 here at mi casa this year, so far though. 

I'm wondering if this is like the warmest it has been while not actually getting to above 62 - maybe it's all in the lows or just a weird homogeneous same high temp every day or something. 

Feels like a sneakier +8 ...

It'll be interesting to see how these averages look on the 25th and there's some 10 days of -4 SD EPO behind us

Agree. It hasn’t been warm at all. Lots of cloudy and rainy days so far. The next couple days will feel nice though, finally. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We had the one storm ... I did write words to the affect of some March's made a modest late recovery - but I also qualified that as meaning less for "me,"  because I hate winter by now. 

That's just a John thing.  I've never been much of a winter appreciator by ...really Feb 20th but negotiable through the end of the month.  Once into March?  keep it -

Just commiserating -   ...there are those that share in my feelings on March protracting winters. 

I am perfectly willing to be a complete hypocritical douche if/when 1888 rings the doorbell.  Or even a April 1982 ... 1997.  etc.  But in a way, those are not hypocritical scenarios. Those sort of exceptionally rare events transcend the 'seasonal druthers' as just being amazing natural events period.  They were so rare and exotic that one would have to be on the spectrum or just an idiot not to appreciate in the different light.

Yea, nothing beats December and January snow...agreed. I noticed it in that January 6-7 event before it got warm a few days later. I forgot how nice it was to have a deep pack under weak solar influx.

22 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I'm not crazy about March snowstorms either, they're nice to have but with the sun angle the melting starts immediately. I prefer to start building a pack end of Dec beginning of Jan with additions in Feb, 2015 was good for that but I also like 2011.

I think it's the sun for me.  Once it starts rising earlier, and feeling warmer on the face by the end of February it triggers me.  I start thinking nostalgically about ... peaceful deep blue sky days at 73 F with irish green lawns that fragrance of melon when mowed ... or that sweet, distant scent of sugar maple blossoms.   Lilacs soon to follow ...

What I'm describing there is obviously more late April into early May ...but, I'm just saying, once the sun triggers.  The reminiscence it evokes and then the thought of winter becomes like being forced to watch a Burger King commercial 20 minutes after Thanks Giving.

• Haha 2

anyway ... the old school convention would say that we're going to correct the temp means downward substantially... 

If this were 1990, and we were sitting at ~ +8 on March 12, while staring down the barrel of the teleconnector spread we are now,  a neutral expectation by the 24th wouldn't be altogether a terrible anticipation.  I mean -4EPO, with a mode switching -1PNA to +1PNA. It's a good thing this didn't happenstance a week before Christmas, huh  :arrowhead:

'Don't know about March15+ in 2024 ... 

After 34 years of climate deniers having eaten shit for those 3.4 decades, yet, still eating shit ... while telling us it's the cupcakes of natural cycles. Mm mm all's good.

I guess if they mean it's natural in the Universe to eat shit in general ? Well shit ... they hail from an remarkably salient wisdom then. 

Anyway, whether it's 1990 or 2024 ( removing the climate background - ), the seasonal forcing/sun modifying the atmosphere tends to pull the rug on cold patterns ... It just may be more pronounced, now.  I'm wondering if all we get is a couple of wind whacks like yesterday to show for it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

It’s a torch month so far with the lack of cold, but still beer for the 2012 references. Maybe more 2010 like?

2010 was 0.64° milder than 2012 here, due mostly to consistent AN but no big heat.  Other than being way AN for temp, the months were radically different, and this month (one BN day, the 1st, over 4" precip and tiny snow) is looking far more like 2010.

2010 extremes:  64/11    2012:  80/-10    (That 90° range is tops for any month I've measured.  2nd place is Jan 1979 in Fort Kent with 40/-47.)
2010 had 3 days with BN temps; 2012 had 11.
2010 had 13 days with temps 10+ AN; 2012 had 12.
2010 had 6.44" precip and 0.6" snow; 2012 was 1.85" and 14.6" snow.

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

We hit 34" of pack at one point last  year...dunno if it was Feb or Mar.

We reached 36" on March 4 at the end of that day's 12" dump.  Still had 24" on today's date (4" this year) and it rose to 28" from our share of the paste bomb.  Our tiny share of the real event was getting 4.5" in 90 minutes as the sun was setting.

• Like 2

Since we're on the subject of temperatures...

Little surprised that after all that tree whipping yesterday in deep "CAA" we only managed 36 for a low here. 

Sure, wind keeps the temperatures elevated ... but what this means - I guess - is that we simply are not advecting much actual cold air in this recent environment.   Because it's already 47 here. 

Still breezy so that cancels the 'nape affect' but... should the wind continue to die off and that sun, equinoxian sun, blazes away, today is going to be surprisingly spring like - despite my bad attitude this morning. hahaha

I mean I didn't look at the MOS.  I'm just looking at this giant Chicxulubian EPO crater on the tele progs and I guess it was too annoying to bother. 

But seriously this is related to what I mean about the rug pulling stuff. 

Tomorrow may be the first 10 top day of the year away from the Labrador scrotum.

Using the NAM metrics ( always a questionable wisdom - ), wind is like 3 kts, RH at all cloud heights is far less than 50% ( that means a billion miles of clear sky visibility ), pure unadulterated sun.   MET has BDL to 61 - gotta think with +4 at 850 MB machine numbers are going to be too low for everyone from HFD-FIT-ASH, even if the BL doesn't expand to that hgt.  

Not sure a 160 degree light wind holds off the life sucking force of N Atlantic spring death so pretty sure Scott's sniffin' seaweed pubes by 10 am.  Probably out to metrowest of Boston/BED ...  May see that on radar slinking inland during the afternoon, too.  A lunch stroll has people psyched to get out of work early so they clock out at 3:45 and burst out the lobby doors of their office building right into 47 - wah wahhh. 

Everybody has their own ideas on how to dress themselves lol..who gives a flying F**k what folks wear?  Wear whatever ya want. Shorts at 35 is ridiculous…but if that’s your thing, knock yourselves out. If there’s no breeze and it’s sunny and 60, then I could see myself wearing shorts. But again, who cares lol. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Everybody has their own ideas on how to dress themselves lol..who gives a flying F**k what folks wear?  Wear whatever ya want. Shorts at 35 is ridiculous…but if that’s your thing, knock yourselves out. If there’s no breeze and it’s sunny and 60, then I could see myself wearing shorts. But again, who cares lol. 

I wear them most of the winter lol 

39 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

When you’re running 6 miles and there’s sun…running in shorts isn’t so ridiculous at 35F. Anyway, the weather is so exciting, why not talk about temperature thresholds for running in shorts???

• Haha 1