Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

37 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Not at all,  what I mean is, it’s a roll the dice chance at this juncture, this thing can end up anywhere.  So saying anything at this point is pretty useless, other than there may be a storm nearby in 8-9 days. 

I don't think it's useless to say odds are against it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Freezing rain estimate that isn't as ridiculous as the straight up freezing rain QPF estimates are. That map is even more zonked than the one I just posted.

*Freezing Rain Accumulation Model*

Well let’s do it . I took one look earlier this morning and thought it had an ice look . 

1 minute ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

That seems to be the case with those the vast majority of the time. I'm not sure I've ever seen one verify. Usually end up with like a quarter of what the model spat out at best.

Many times the total ice shown is way too high. I think even the FRAM can be high because as you know...that stuff can fall and blow off surfaces that it tries to adhere on. 

• Like 1

Zip continuity beyond D7 ... but, no model is really required to in that range anyway.

Both aspects in that sentence all but completely require not even being allowed to post that shit

LOL

13 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

#deseperation time

That was more than a month ago…I don’t think anybody is desperate anymore.  Everybody has resigned themselves to it being over.  Now all of a sudden(the last couple days) modeling is showing something wintry perhaps.  No big deal if it doesn’t verify.  So no desperation. 

• Like 1

Close the shades. We've seen way too many times what happens when we have garbage airmasses ahead of impending "potential" storms. We couldn't get anything to evolve to work in our favor during peak climo...how the hell are we going to get it to work nearing mid-March...especially when the airmass out ahead of it is worlds milder. Obviously different story for the mountains up north where they get snow threats through April

• Like 5

I love the language in the point and click for Donner Pass.  "Snow showers.  The snow could be heavy at times"  I would think if it will total 43 to 49 inches just overnight that it may be heavy at times.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.3191&lon=-120.3285

This Afternoon
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 29. Windy, with a southwest wind 28 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 28 to 34 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 16. Wind chill values as low as -2. Windy, with a southwest wind around 38 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 43 to 49 inches possible.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, klw said:

I love the language in the point and click for Donner Pass.  "Snow showers.  The snow could be heavy at times"  I would think if it will total 43 to 49 inches just overnight that it may be heavy at times.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.3191&lon=-120.3285

This Afternoon
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 29. Windy, with a southwest wind 28 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 28 to 34 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 16. Wind chill values as low as -2. Windy, with a southwest wind around 38 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 43 to 49 inches possible.

Instead of "Heavy at Times" it should just be "Heavy all of the Time."

On an aside, I've always wondered why most of the western forecasts use "Snow Showers" instead of just "Snow".... maybe  @OceanStWx can shed some light on how the grids are populated out there verses the Midwest and East.  Because it does not matter the accumulation, most of the mountain forecasts out west all use "Snow Showers" as the description.

Today: Snow Showers.  Four feet worth of Snow Showers.

• Haha 3