Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024

TriPol

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

There is a difference between needing a jacket and whether the pattern is warm or cold for this time of year. Most days we’ll need a jacket even it’s +10 since it’s only March. The means do a good job at showing the warmth. As for frozen precip, very unlikely coastal sections see much next few weeks. 

After what happened in April 1982 - I like to keep my options open..........anyone younger then 50 in here probably doesn't remember.....

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

There is a difference between needing a jacket and whether the pattern is warm or cold for this time of year. Most days we’ll need a jacket even it’s +10 since it’s only March. The means do a good job at showing the warmth. As for frozen precip, very unlikely coastal sections see much next few weeks. 

cold enough this morning with a ne breeze to wear a coat

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

We should honestly just keep DST year round. Changing clocks doesn’t do anything it was originally proposed to do. 

Biggest issue with that is, the mornings. Sunrise wouldn't happen til after 8 AM for much of December. All for what? An extra hour of daylight when it's cold out anyway? 

• Like 1

Just now, golfer07840 said:

Biggest issue with that is, the mornings. Sunrise wouldn't happen til after 8 AM for much of December. All for what? An extra hour of daylight when it's cold out anyway? 

And that's here.  Cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Indy would see a 9am or later sunrise.   I just don't see that happening.   Interestingly we did do year round DST for one year in 73-74.   Any guesses as to why it was only for a year?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

And that's here.  Cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Indy would see a 9am or later sunrise.   I just don't see that happening.   Interestingly we did do year round DST for one year in 73-74.   Any guesses as to why it was only for a year?

...because it was an epic fail.....I was in hs at the time. On cloudy/rainy/days it stayed dark till late morning.  Numerous kids fell asleep in class. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

After what happened in April 1982 - I like to keep my options open..........anyone younger then 50 in here probably doesn't remember.....

Beyond mid-month, we'll see if the promised cooler (but not necessarily very cold) pattern can produce any snowfall for the NYC area. Before then, central/upstate New York and central/northern New England will probably be favored for meaningful snowfall opportunities.

As for 1982, here's how things looked for the two-week period preceding the blizzard:

image.png.38f09dae8b04ea069384afa39db0b79c.png

Here's the most recent two weeks for which data is available:

image.gif.8bd80490bee0080be9eeea1a7296eb85.gif

It remains to be seen how much, if any of that pool of cold air will spill into North America and how long the process would take. Modified Pacific air will likely dominate for the next week or two, so even if the forecast trough develops, the cold likely won't be all too impressive. Not speaking for others, my thinking is that NYC and Philadelphia will probably see little or no snowfall through mid-month. During that time, cold shots will likely be fair short in duration 1-3 days and not especially impressive. Although NYC (Central Park) probably has not seen its last freeze, it has likely seen its last sub-20° low temperature and last sub-freezing day until next winter.

• Like 1

Just now, NEG NAO said:

Don - scroll down to April 1982 on this link and as you can see the surface was mild 50's and a few days 60's in NYC much of March and early April leading up to the April Blizzard

New York City Weather in 1982 (extremeweatherwatch.com)

It was. My point is that there was a large pool of cold air—actually frigid air—to be tapped. Through mid-March that does not appear likely to be the case.

• Like 2

Stupid question to the experts here…looking like a decent amount of rain Wed night into Thursday and “breezy.” I have to fly out to LAX midday Thursday. How “breezy” are we looking at because I’m hoping to get out of JFK as close as on time as possible. 

7 minutes ago, guinness77 said:

Stupid question to the experts here…looking like a decent amount of rain Wed night into Thursday and “breezy.” I have to fly out to LAX midday Thursday. How “breezy” are we looking at because I’m hoping to get out of JFK as close as on time as possible. 

Some WTF pics..... | Page 9123 | Arboristsite.com

22 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Is Judah Cohen still sticking to this idea ???anybody know ?

How the polar vortex could deliver one last blast of wintry weather - The Washington Post

I don't think he has changed his thinking. A cooler period after mid-month remains very plausible. The question concerns whether it will be sufficiently cold to allow for Philadelphia to New York City to pick up meaningful snowfall. Up to mid-month, I don't think such snowfall is likely for those cities. Afterward, we'll have to see how things evolve. If the deep pool of cold air currently over Eurasia fails to advance into North America, the odds of such a snowstorm are lower than would otherwise be the case. Unfortunately, even as the sample size is small, such snowfall has not occurred past mid-March for winters that were as warm as the most recent one.

image.png.2fec5965b77021384c837c9f42ab50e7.png

11 hours ago, NEG NAO said:

Mr. G should remember.  I was filling in at CBS NY at the time and told Steve Deshler it looks like a major snowstorm for our area.  Mr. G laughed it off.

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

Don - scroll down to March/April 1982 on this link and as you can see the surface was mild 50's and a few days 60's in NYC much of March and early April leading up to the April Blizzard

New York City Weather in 1982 (extremeweatherwatch.com)

and that would be okay, as long as there was some cold air in northern New England or Southeast Canada.  Right now, it is seriously warm up there.

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

It was. My point is that there was a large pool of cold air—actually frigid air—to be tapped. Through mid-March that does not appear likely to be the case.

Exactly, there is no cold air in Canada or the CONUS right through 3/15 and beyond. The Equinox is 3/19. Game over. Been game over, it’s time some folks accept reality and move on. We are beating a dead horse now. The fat lady has sung and gone home

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1