Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 rain to snow event

LVblizzard

2 hours ago, jhotdog said:

Hey Ralph. I live 2 minutes from Telford. Roads r horrible up here. Took my wife 45 minutes to go 2 miles. Cars r stuck everywhere. Roads r not plowed. Just trying to give u a heads up

Yep, took me a while. 309N shut down. Eyeballing looks like 6-6.5 in telford.

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Well we finally got out of that terrible subsidence band the last half hour and picked up about 0.4" to get to 5.0" as of 10:30 am. Temp 33F.

As of 11:30 am, it's 33F and snowing moderately with 5.4" OTG, so only 0.4" the last hour, as rates just haven't been great, missing out on the best bands for the last 3 hours; we had 4.0" at 8:30 am, so only 1.5" the last 3 hours while the good bands were giving people 1-2" per hour (we got 1.75"/hr  before 8:30 am). Oh well.  One last band to go through in the next 30 min or so and if we're lucky we'll get to 6", but not sure, although as I'm typing this the snow has gone to almost heavy for the first time in hours, so maybe.  

The back edge is now past me and I'm down to flurries.

Final measurement at 11:45 am was 3.5" (so got 1" over the 3 hours since the earlier measurement).

Currently have some stray flurries and it's 33 with dp 33 and all kinds of melting and sloughing going on.  Am hoping more can slough off the car the rest of today.  :lol:

kdix_20240213_1643_BR_0.41.png

I'll go with 2.5" final measurement in East Falls, but there was quite a bit of melting and compacting while it was still snowing. Went for a walk up the neighborhood hill and there was noticeably more snow at the top of the hill (~200 ft elevation) than at my house (~90 ft elevation). Fun storm and should be melted pretty quickly here if we actually get to 40 degrees with sun this afternoon like the forecast suggests

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of 11:30 am, it's 33F and snowing moderately with 5.4" OTG, so only 0.4" the last hour, as rates just haven't been great, missing out on the best bands for the last 3 hours; we had 4.0" at 8:30 am, so only 1.5" the last 3 hours while the good bands were giving people 1-2" per hour (we got 1.75"/hr  before 8:30 am). Oh well.  One last band to go through in the next 30 min or so and if we're lucky we'll get to 6", but not sure, although as I'm typing this the snow has gone to almost heavy for the first time in hours, so maybe.  

As of about 12:15 the snow ended and that last good 45 min band got us to 6.0" as per my lousy pic below, using the yardstick I grew up with, lol. 

Not quite the 7.2" I predicted, due to probably missing out on 1.5-2.0" from being in that heinous subsidence hell hole for 3 hours, lol. But Woo-hoo! since my expectations several days ago, when things were trending warm/wet for 95, was maybe an inch or two of slop...although there was certainly some hope for a 10-12" event in the past day or two if things worked out perfectly, but not a surprise that that didn't happen, which is why my prediction was for a more realistic 7.2".

This brings the season total up to a respectable 13.3", still well below where we should be (about 18" through this point in the winter), but way better than last winter's 5.2" here. And there are some more snow chances over the next few weeks.

And this storm is one more data point showing that snow will easily accumulate on all untreated surfaces at 33-34F, as long as there is moderate to high intensity, even after a warm/rainy day. Curious to see what my ratios were (in progress). Guessing pretty low early in the storm with some sleet and pretty wet snow, but probably >10:1 once the snow started falling heavily around sunrise and especially by mid-morning as the snow was fairly fluffy with nice dendrites, but I'll only be able to get one aggregate number.

AaNdH5q.png

17 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Watching Kathy Orr now and she was showing snow totals....Telford 8.9". Correct? Who knows?

Sun really doing a number on any totals...

37F

Tough to measure with the compaction. Looked like a solid 6" imby while out shoveling @ 11:30 (maybe a little more with said compaction).

25 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Watching Kathy Orr now and she was showing snow totals....Telford 8.9". Correct? Who knows?

Sun really doing a number on any totals...

37F

It's possible radar had looked really good from there north when I woke up after sleeping through all the 6-9am good snow, fooking bad timing missed three hours worth of 2" rates.

Sun out in full force with some blue skies, let the drip-drip begin. Wouldn't be surprised if I lose 50%+ of my accumulation this afternoon. We are getting drilled by the sun and 40 degree temps and from below since the ground was/is still warm. The only reason we received any significant accumulation was the insane rates...

38F

19 minutes ago, RedSky said:

It's possible radar had looked really good from there north when I woke up after sleeping through all the 6-9am good snow, fooking bad timing missed three hours worth of 2" rates.

Yeah, you missed out. It was like a couple hour death band...easily 1" rates and sometimes 2" I would think.

Better luck next time year...

38F/Partly sunny 

1 minute ago, JTA66 said:

Can already see parts of my lawn under the trees :lol:

Lol...just ready to post this.

I didn't even touch the roof of my car (black) or any parts and it's 70-80% melted....it will be clear by the end of the day. Didn't even shovel today and won't...let mother nature take care of it since she created it.

39F/Partly sunny

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Sun angle feels like April what is going on lol

I've noticed this the past week or so while driving. So damn bright and drilling to my eyes for, not even, mid-Feb. WTF? This stuff usually doesn't affect me till early-mid March at the earliest...

39F/partly sunny

1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

I've noticed this the past week or so while driving. So damn bright and drilling to my eyes for, not even, mid-Feb. WTF? This stuff usually doesn't affect me till early-mid March at the earliest...

39F/partly sunny

Dropped 3" in three hours good its not March

2 hours ago, LVblizzard said:

It is actually comical how far off yesterday’s 12z Euro was. Many of the areas in the 2-4” zone got a foot. And most of south Jersey away from Philly got shut out or close to it.

IMG_0703.png

Epic Bust here in CNJ :( happy for the NW crew though. We got less than 2" and it has all been completely melted by mid-afternoon here in Bordentown, NJ. Kind of amazing how every model this morning had 4-8" for the area. Probably got around 1.5" if that....

• Weenie 1