Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

30 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

From Colesville, MD. 

ETA: This was achieved using an 8" dobsonian telescope (not motorized) w/42mm eyepiece and an S24 Ultra manually held up to the eyepiece in 200 megapixel mode. 9.25" solar filter used on the tube itself. Crude astrophotography is definitely possible using less than stellar setups. Just have to have the patience. Non-motorized/computer controller telescopes like this are sub-$600 and some are much lower even. Downside is the 30-50 pounds of weight they can carry with them. 

Untitled.png

These are great shots. Any experts here that can comment on that "spot" just to lower left of the center of the sun? What exactly is that?

Unrelated -- it's interesting how "big" the sun actually is when you view it through eclipse glasses, unimpeded by the nearly blinding nature of it when attempting to glance at it via the naked eye.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

These are great shots. Any experts here that can comment on that "spot" just to lower left of the center of the sun? What exactly is that?

Unrelated -- it's interesting how "big" the sun actually is when you view it through eclipse glasses, unimpeded by the nearly blinding nature of it when attempting to glance at it via the naked eye.

The dot on the sun? That's a sunspot currently bubbling up on the sun! I think at last check the magnetic field of it was pretty stable, though - so not a big risk for flares. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Interstate said:

I will tell you this. Pictures will never do a justice!!!

truth.

the air cooling, the bird chorus, the silence as the color and then the light drain away as totality approaches—that can’t be photographed.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Interstate said:

I will tell you this. Pictures will never do a justice!!!

I purposefully only took one picture of the sun which turned out badly anyway. I took a lot of photos of my family and our experiences though. So much stuff that photos don’t capture. The rapid dimming was almost like someone was turning down a brightness knob. Twilight in all corners of the horizon. Bugs coming out. The air suddenly cooling. Two birds off to my south zigzagging around looking confused. Even the area around totality in the sky had this weird pinkish effect which I think was from the cirrus clouds. Just mind-blowing.

• Like 1

Seems in general weather was better than advertised for most in the path with the exception of western NY. Central Texas wasn’t great, but wasn’t as hopeless as some guidance suggested. GFS sucks for cloud forecasts.

• Like 9

This event, for me, turned out to have some totally unexpected  upside. It's kinda like if you hadn't seen a decent climo snow in 7 years then all of a sudden some frontogen sets up a snowburst that just goes on and on and I end up with 11 inches of pow in Dale City.

The total eclipse and that 190 mph wind blowing pow right off that lodge roof are neck and neck! I am crying for Australia  and the total eclipse there! I don't care if it takes me two weeks to fly there! I want to see another  total solar eclipse!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Got many shots of the partial eclipse here in the DC metro area (about 87% or so coverage). Not as spectacular as totality but still neat to experience. It got pretty dim with this almost eerie light and definitely got cooler. I don't think the gif animation I made will fit here, so will attach two subsequent posts after this with a sort of series from some of them. Used my solar filter throughout, changed the white balance to 7500K to get a slight yellow tint to the sun, and cropped the images. In some of the earlier shots you can make out sunspots. I used a 500mm lens. 

(ETA:  See below...actually managed to get them all into one post!)

• Like 6

Seeing the eclipse and lucking into totality was amazing, but the best part of this trip was seeing friends we don’t often see, and frankly, even better, meeting and engaging with the locals. Super small town and so much history. This picture is of two locals and a friend of mine’s wife that’s basically in charge of the sun. These guys talked to us for an hour and the guy on the left was born in this town and 76 years old. 

image.jpeg.4342140bba31b678403067c6cfe861ee.jpeg

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Did you use a tracker or post edit? I was afraid to set my tracker up to Polaris overnight with the chance of rain.

Nope,no tracker or anything. I was outside through that time, about 2:00pm through 3:30pm and took many shots. Then yes, I post-processed them to get the same size image afterward and changed the white balance temp to make the sun a bit more yellow looking (through the filter it was almost white looking). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Nope,no tracker or anything. I was outside through that time, about 2:00pm through 3:30pm and took many shots. Then yes, I post-processed them to get the same size image afterward and changed the white balance temp to make the sun a bit more yellow looking (through the filter it was almost white looking). 

Nice work. They look great!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Nice work. They look great!

Thanks! It was interesting getting shots with the filter on because essentially everything but the sun was black (by design with a solar filter). Had to look up a bit on the flip-screen and zoom out to "find" the sun and then zoom in to the full 500mm on my lens and take the shots. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wxtrix said:

crappy phone picture does not do it justice. the sun had a black hole in the middle of it, and it was surrounded by white flames, with a red ball of fire on the bottom. and that was after the light quickly drained away leaving the aftertaste of dread. so incredible.

53640972533_45c8511de9_b.jpg

The red spot was a really interesting part of the experience.  Evidently we did see a prominence.  In my view it was at about 7 o’clock on the sun’s ring.

https://x.com/forecaster25/status/1777434179136819497?s=46&t=bA1Os5w_10i9PfsurY28aw

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The red spot was a really interesting part of the experience.  Evidently we did see a prominence.  In my view it was at about 7 o’clock on the sun’s ring.

https://x.com/forecaster25/status/1777434179136819497?s=46&t=bA1Os5w_10i9PfsurY28aw

Oh so that was the pinkish spot I saw. I had thought it was some effect of the clouds. Thanks for the link!

Also great photos everyone! I’m browsing through them all.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic