Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

3 minutes ago, Krs4Lfe said:

5.3" here in Bayside, Queens. Still coming down quite well, should be over in 1 hour, and crack 6" maybe. Temps were just too warm to start off with or this would have been higher impact. Or maybe since it was only from 6 am to 12-1 pm. 7 hours is just too short of a time for significant totals

Same in Whitestone. 5.2"

We should get close to 6".

Excellent storm.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

The modeled BL temps made it quite clear this event would not be accumulating in the concrete jungles of Manhattan.  Many areas in the outer boroughs did do okay with this one.

But there's concrete jungles in Queens and Brooklyn too.  I've seen them lol.  Places like Jamaica and Hillside in Queens are like that too and Bay Ridge in Brooklyn.

Maybe near Bayside and Whitestone it's much more "suburban" and much less concrete.  I love Alley Pond Park up in NE Queens.

Just now, mikem81 said:

Similar amounts here in Garden City. Should finish between 6 and 7 depending on this last band.

This last band has great snow growth and good accumulations. Should drop 1"-2" more.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I have a Cardinal couple that has been living here for 6 or 7 years. They roost in the boxwood bush in front of my house every night. I've been seeing this lovely couple so long that it's hard to imagine life without them, lol. 

They really are absolutely adorable, I hope they live a good long time :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

They are forecast to rebound.

Don't get me wrong, great storm today, but this is the problem with snow after mid Feb when it's not very cold. Melting happens quite quickly. Still, good storm though. 

hmmm this is interesting, I just checked the hourly obs at JFK and they were at 32 F from 7 AM to 11 AM so they were at freezing for several hours.  Heavy snow was never reported there but moderate snow was reported from 8:30 to 10:20

It's actually colder at JFK than it is at Central Park!

Barometric pressure bottomed out at 29.43 at 8 AM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krs4Lfe said:

Don't get me wrong, great storm today, but this is the problem with snow after mid Feb when it's not very cold. Melting happens quite quickly. Still, good storm though. 

Should be below freezing tonight-that will solidify it.

A smidge over 9 inches here in central Westchester with this thing winding down.  I'll take a storm like this one anytime.  Siggy snow but my life will be normal by tomorrow.  Maybe we can freshen this up in the next week and have some pack around.  Nice!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

But there's concrete jungles in Queens and Brooklyn too.  I've seen them lol.  Places like Jamaica and Hillside in Queens are like that too and Bay Ridge in Brooklyn.

Maybe near Bayside and Whitestone it's much more "suburban" and much less concrete.  I love Alley Pond Park up in NE Queens.

Yes but Manhattan is worse than Brooklyn. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

hmmm this is interesting, I just checked the hourly obs at JFK and they were at 32 F from 7 AM to 11 AM so they were at freezing for several hours.  Heavy snow was never reported there but moderate snow was reported from 8:30 to 10:20

It's actually colder at JFK than it is at Central Park!

Barometric pressure bottomed out at 29.43 at 8 AM

It went down to 31 here for a lil but steady at 32/33.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

4-8" in and around the metro. Pretty spot on forecast overall outside of the northern areas which greatly overperformed. I think some saw the 6z euro with the 12"+ numbers and set unreasonable expectations. Very nice storm, the best in 2 years.

Im at 10”.

• Like 3