Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

3 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

Yep, the real heavy stuff will be reserved for you guys on L.I. and north and west of the city. You're in a prime spot to get blitzed.

It's truly shocking how even when everything lines up with temps/track somehow CPK misses out. 

At least it's NOT A TEMPS ISSUE.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

It's truly shocking how even when everything lines up with temps/track somehow CPK misses out. 

Yep, we got the screw zone on this one. NYC and North Central Jersey. Reminds me of March 2018 with so many near misses with the real heavy stuff. Still, it's a nice little storm 4-6 inch kind of deal which we take after 2 years of mostly nothing.

• Like 2

Just now, kat5hurricane said:

Yep, we got the screw zone on this one. NYC and North Central Jersey. Reminds me of March 2018 with so many near misses with the real heavy stuff. Still, it's a nice little storm 4-6 inch kind of deal, which we take after 2 years of mostly nothing.

What are you saying? Radar looks great and is pivoting.

Let the event play out.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Temps were colder than expected, unfortunately the heaviest banding so far was east of CPK otherwise CPK would likely be at 4.

Plus it was 40° when the precip started and the ratios weren’t the greatest so this would have been more snow if we had a cold air mass in place ahead of the storm. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Cpk reported heavy snow the last 2 hours. .26 lqe. They should be close to 4" by now 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Been snowing pretty heavily the past hour, so as of 8:30 am we have 4.0" on the ground, so that was 1.75" the past hour, which is ripping. Just did my first driveway/sidewalk shovel and that's heart attack heavy snow, especially the bottom half which has the sleet/wetter snow. The snow the past hour has to be greater than 10:1 ratio snow - much drier and gorgeous dendrites. 32-33F right now.

As of 9:30 am 4.5" of snow on the ground at 32F as we only got 1/2" over the last hour, due to being stuck in what looks like a subsidence lull. Might keep us from getting above 6" if this doesn't end soon.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yep would've gotten 7 or 8 otherwise

Still could I guess if we get lucky later on

It is the default setting for snow in this area. It will find a way to underperform here most of the time. I have never gotten an explanation as to why, but I've watched it for at least the past 8-9 years or so. But we got some and its a nice wintry day out, and lots of people got to sleep in and blow off serious work for the day. If your are an essential worker well that's the way it goes. We need you folks. Guess I'll read for a bit then go clean up.

• Like 1

Just now, RU848789 said:

As of 9:30 am 4.5" of snow on the ground at 32F as we only got 1/2" over the last hour, due to being stuck in what looks like a subsidence lull. Might keep us from getting above 6" if this doesn't end soon.  

I think this is about our ceiling for this one. Enjoy it. After the last two years, it's a welcome sight. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It is the default setting for snow in this area. It will find a way to underperform here most of the time. I have never gotten an explanation as to why, but I've watched it for at least the past 8-9 years or so. But we got some and its a nice wintry day out, and lots of people got to sleep in and blow off serious work for the day. If your are an essential worker well that's the way it goes. We need you folks. Guess I'll read for a bit then go clean up.

Banding usually sets up north and west, coastal takes the heavy bands east. We get stuck in between. 12/26/10 is the exception.

I don't think we're necessarily done but with the lighter rates compaction and melting becomes an issue

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ag3 said:

4 minutes ago, ag3 said:

Let the event play out.

Play out?  This thing is OVER here.  I thing I got hosed...