Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

5 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Think TWC forecast is the best I've seen and they've really gotten much better the past several years (remember, they were the only ones who nailed Jan-2015) with some very good mets and model discussions these days. I think the NWS adustments at 4 am were in the right direction, but not enough, especially towards 276/195 and the coast, where I think TWC is likely to be better. We'll see of course.

akX9cDY.png

Brilliant graphic. :lol: No way to know what they are forecasting for NYC.

• Haha 4

Just now, psv88 said:

Was sneaky cold last night at 29. That outta help cool the ground a bit 

Becoming optimistic this’ll be a good one for us. 2/28 last year was very marginal and we had 5” of paste. But we know the risks with white rain etc. The dynamics and snow rates with this one look awesome. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Was sneaky cold last night at 29. That outta help cool the ground a bit 

I really wouldn't worry about the ground temps unless this was early March.  Mid-march for the sun angle, if one was to worry about that.

What eventually happens in the city will come down to banding. As this is a dynamic rapidly deepening  system with plenty of moisture, 2” hour type bands should set up during the hight of the storm. If they end up over the city, it will accumulate even on pavement. I think the November rush our crusher attests to what rates can do. If we end up with .5” hour rates, it’s a grass storm. (City)

1 minute ago, uofmiami said:

I really wouldn't worry about the ground temps unless this was early March.  Mid-march for the sun angle, if one was to worry about that.

ground temps are well above normal however.    I do wish this was starting 6 hrs earlier so it would be at night like the late Feb storm last year

10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

What eventually happens in the city will come down to banding. As this is a dynamic rapidly deepening  system with plenty of moisture, 2” hour type bands should set up during the hight of the storm. If they end up over the city, it will accumulate even on pavement. I think the November rush our crusher attests to what rates can do. If we end up with .5” hour rates, it’s a grass storm. (City)

that is one of my favorite surprise storms. just went haywire overproducing.

24 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This isn’t a late season storm. We have a long history of getting big snows in mid February. We have about another month. After March 10th it’s pretty much over for I95 unless we end up with a very anomalous pattern.

Given recent model trends and a significant shift southwards, closed 700mb low South of LI favors a band of heavy snow tomorrow for a few hours near I-80/287. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a few 12”+ reports especially in the higher elevation areas of NW NJ into Orange County, NY. 

I like 4-8” for the Bronx and Southern Westchester. 6-12” North of HPN. 3-6” for Central Park and 2-4” for South facing Brooklyn and Queens. There will be a Southerly flow to start which will cause mixing issues and the 700mb low close proximity could cause dry slotting in Central NJ and South shore of LI. 

Could be one of those storms where SI sees 3-5” and Sandy Hook gets nothing.

Any type of dry slotting with marginal temperatures spells no accumulation for coastal areas...

16 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Becoming optimistic this’ll be a good one for us. 2/28 last year was very marginal and we had 5” of paste. But we know the risks with white rain etc. The dynamics and snow rates with this one look awesome. 

Was on the phone with my old boss this morning, told him 6" in that north shore snow zone is probably reasonable top end.   But it's a snow board 6", i think a lot of 2-4", 2-5" readings mostly on grass

prateptype_cat-imp.us_ne_1.png

snku_acc-imp.us_ne (9).png

15 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Banding?  What exactly will be the causes?  Won't rates be fairly uniform, depending upon your location in relation to the center of the low?

19 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

Im pretty sure nws forecast accumulation that is not on road surfaces

I would assume that to be true for most major highways.  Local streets would be another story, if rates actually occur?

There will be no issues with accumulation as of now, even for NYC.  You have DPs on both the NAM/GFS at 12-18Z of 29-32 with winds of 010-040...that is easily going to be temps of 32 or even as low as 30 if the NAM is right and usually its thermals are better at the surface in these storms

• Like 5

I’ve lived in outer boroughs my whole life, if we get the rates it will accumulate on roads and sidewalks. Manhattan is toast but all this talk of wet roads is just flat out wrong lol it’s accumulated across NYC with marginal temps and heavy rates plenty of times 

Just now, nycsnow said:

I’ve lived in outer boroughs my whole life, if we get the rates it will accumulate on roads and sidewalks. Manhattan is toast but all this talk of wet roads is just flat out wrong lol it’s accumulated across NYC with marginal temps and heavy rates plenty of times 

See March storms, early April storms, and Nov 2018. 

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

RGEM and ICON look good.   Nice to see models basically holding serve.   6z Euro might have been a burp run.

the Euro was probably too far south but the RGEM being south of the NAM at this range probably means the Euro is not totally out to lunch.

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic