• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

This storm will probably meet the latitude-dependent definition of bombogenesis but not the 24mb drop in 24 hours. It's also forming in a relatively low pressure environment, so the absolute pressure is not as impressive as if there were a strong HP in the vicinity.

It could be a fun few hours on Tue. morning! Vertical lift is impressive. Deep saturated column, favorable mid-level tracks. Other than the warm antecedent conditions, the biggest limitation (and slight disappointment) is the short duration. This thing will likely be in and out in less than 12 hours. Accumulating snow for less than that. And heavy snow for an even shorter period.

I think straight to warning for some locations just north of the city and a rare near term watch for the city and at least the northern LI zones might be a prudent course of action since there's another model cycle to look at and make a decision on where to go warning and where to go advisory for the highest population zones. Might be better than going straight to advisory and having to upgrade to a warning in places.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Probably January 4, 2018.

Jan. 4, 2018 - An intense nor'easter created whiteout conditions late in the morning into the early afternoon, with snow accumulating close to ten inches by the time it ended later in the afternoon.  Today's snow easily broke the previous record for snowfall on this date (4.0" in 1988) - and today's accumulation of 9.8" was slightly more than last winter's biggest snowfall (9.4" on Feb. 9).  Temperatures were in the mid-20s throughout the storm and, combined with winds that gusted close to 35 mph, produced wind chills around 10°.  Today was also the tenth consecutive day in which the high was colder than 32°, making this the longest such streak since one of 12 days in January 2003.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, eduggs said:

This storm will probably meet the latitude-dependent definition of bombogenesis but not the 24mb drop in 24 hours. It's also forming in a relatively low pressure environment, so the absolute pressure is not as impressive as if there were a strong HP in the vicinity.

It could be a fun few hours on Tue. morning! Vertical lift is impressive. Deep saturated column, favorable mid-level tracks. Other than the warm antecedent conditions, the biggest limitation (and slight disappointment) is the short duration. This thing will likely be in and out in less than 12 hours. Accumulating snow for less than that. And heavy snow for an even shorter period.

and what happens if the storm stalls or slows down.......?

• Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It's not going to slow down. It's a quick mover.

surprise potential is high along with the bust potential with this storm IMO since no one seems to have a handle on it yet...more questions then answers so far

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

surprise potential is high along with the bust potential with this storm IMO since no one seems to have a handle on it yet...more questions then answers so far

There is nothing blocking this storm or stalling it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Uggh. Maybe. Such a tough forecast for NYC. Fingers crossed! 

What's interesting is that to read the last few pages of this thread, one could think it's just a matter of just how big our upside surprise will be, with the chance of minimal snow being mostly dismissed.   But I don't see Upton, or anyone else responsible for informing the public, budging from the same 1-2" for LI that they've had for days.  In the past, while this is sometimes due to those folks being well aware of what everyone here is seeing, but being cautious for now before sounding the alarm, more often than not they don't ever budge and are correct.   So I'm curbing my enthusiasm and if I get a nice surprise on Tuesday, that'll be great.

9 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

What's interesting is that to read the last few pages of this thread, one could think it's just a matter of just how big our upside surprise will be, with the chance of minimal snow being mostly dismissed.   But I don't see Upton, or anyone else responsible for informing the public, budging from the same 1-2" for LI that they've had for days.  In the past, while this is sometimes due to those folks being well aware of what everyone here is seeing, but being cautious for now before sounding the alarm, more often than not they don't ever budge and are correct.   So I'm curbing my enthusiasm and if I get a nice surprise on Tuesday, that'll be great.

They only update 2-3 times a day. Their next update will change. Relax. 

38 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Keep wishcasting those 10:1 snowmaps lol

I understand what you're saying but you're not adjusting to what the models are showing tn.  NYC is not on the southern fringe of the snow anymore. They're on the southern fringe of the heavy stuff bc the models are coming in south and therefor colder.  We could def see bumps north on the models tomorrow but what happens if we see more bumps south?  Do you hold onto your thoughts just for the sake of being stubborn?  

• Like 4

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic