joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I guess from JFK to NYC? I'll add in ABE and MPO 

JFK-2" NYC-4" ABE 8" MPO 12"

Does this sound like a good estimate with the info we have right now?

My current thinking is as follows: JFK: 0.5" to perhaps 2"; NYC: 1" to perhaps 3"; ABE: 3"-6"; MPO: 5"-10"

The NYC-JFK-LGA-EWR area remains highly uncertain. Scenarios ranging from little or nothing to around 4" can't be ruled out.

My thinking will be refined this evening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

Euro north 

Done

Once we saw the north trend yesterday, it became apparent it wouldn’t stop. With a more amped up storm, and lessening confluence, this northward trend will likely continue. Not to mention the warmth leading up to the storm which would cut back on totals anyway. Not expecting more than an inch of slush here anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Krs4Lfe said:

Once we saw the north trend yesterday, it became apparent it wouldn’t stop. With a more amped up storm, and lessening confluence, this northward trend will likely continue. Not to mention the warmth leading up to the storm which would cut back on totals anyway. Not expecting more than an inch of slush here anyway. 

It's amazing how this happens all the time. What's the point of tracking a storm over 120 hours out , heck even 84 hours.

Just now, MJO812 said:

It's amazing how this happens all the time. What's the point of tracking a storm over 120 hours out , heck even 84 hours.

You get too invested. You say this every Storm, the models change an flip flop so much. Can't get too invested until 72 hrs prior, sure you can track but no sense of living an dying with every model run

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Franklin0529 said:

You get too invested. You say this every Storm, the models change an flip flop so much. Can't get too invested until 72 hrs prior, sure you can track but no sense of living an dying with every model run

True

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I agree, but you can begin to track a storm that far out, as long as you look at other things besides the model outputs.  There was never going to be any cold air to tap into...

• Like 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

Thing is unfortunately next time will trend north too and screw us. Disaster of a winter that can’t end soon enough. Nice mild day today at least. 

Maybe, winters tend to have a theme. Hopefully next year is our next 20/21.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It's amazing how this north trend happens all the time after people ( yes myself also ) gets excited about model runs over 120 hours showing good stuff. 

Seems like now would have been a good time to start tracking. A few days out, still lots of variability amongst models, but general agreement on some basics such as  timing, duration, etc.

Seasonal trend I don’t believe in.  Model trends around 1 system I DO believe in. Nothing is really preventing this being a complete rainer up to I 84 and perhaps further and there is plenty of time for that to manifest.

Icon FTW. And I owe NAO an apology.  

• Like 2

if I had a nickel for every storm that deviated from what the models say five days out since I started watching the weather channel back in the John Hope days, I’d have at least thirty dollars by now.

Your (MJO’s) enthusiasm is a nice change from other negativity, but you’ve seen this movie many times before. We’ll have pleasant surprises again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WIN said:

My point exactly.

The 353AM attached.Ihavent checked for an update.

In my opinion as I do my own non AMWX posts... once/day is enough... that steadies out all the model fluctuations and tends to keep my group on message whether its trending up or down. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 6.27.30 AM.png

• Thanks 1

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic