• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2024 Valentines Day Rain/Snow/Who The Hell Knows Thread

WinterWxLuvr

It always warms my heart to see the snow depth maps posted here, but this is not the type of event for which they do well.    They limit accumulation when surface temps and soil are warm, and they'll never capture the ability of heavy rates to overcome marginal thermodynamics.     I'd probably either average the 10:1 and snow depth products or mentally adjust the 10:1 maps downward.   Kuchera maps might be good too - I hate how generous they are with colder temps, but they seem to properly limit accumulations when the temperature is marginal.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

I also would like the compromise. We historically do well with a low in S WV transferring to ORF and moving ENE. colder on temps just slightly north with features. 

Even though it was a pretty good run, do we close this and open something new before 0z to get the Euro to meet the GFS right where 18z was? 

• Like 1

Judging from the trends, the slower this system is the better it is for us. Faster means warmer in this case. 

Not sure which way this is going to eventually break, but I don’t like being on the southern 1/3 of the snow area. Learned that lesson on Jan 7

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, high risk said:

It always warms my heart to see the snow depth maps posted here, but this is not the type of event for which they do well.    They limit accumulation when surface temps and soil are warm, and they'll never capture the ability of heavy rates to overcome marginal thermodynamics.     I'd probably either average the 10:1 and snow depth products or mentally adjust the 10:1 maps downward.   Kuchera maps might be good too - I hate how generous they are with colder temps, but they seem to properly limit accumulations when the temperature is marginal.  

Don't forget the increasing sun angle between 10:30 am and 2:30 pm.

Judging from the trends, the slower this system is the better it is for us. Faster means warmer in this case. 
Not sure which way this is going to eventually break, but I don’t like being on the southern 1/3 of the snow area. Learned that lesson on Jan 7

Already trending faster no? Most recent gfs is catching up w the euro.

18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Bro. I shit all over this threat and it appears I will fail badly. You need to start all storm threads going forward. 

tenor.gif

The Washington DC Metropolitan Region will get obliterated by snow just as surely as Bruce Lee obliterates this chump

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

This is a good post.  I need to know what I'm looking for during pbp.   Slower....northern stream out front...separation 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

@brooklynwx99 in the NE forum said the 90h 18z Euro looks more GFS like than previous runs. 

compressed flow making the vector of the h5 energy pretty similar since the Euro has it W-E and the GFS has WSW-ENE. 

I've seen it and he's right.  I didn't comment because it stops at 90 and I'm not in the business of try to extrapolate.  It does seem a bit more compressed 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, stormtracker said:

I've seen it and. his right.  I didn't comment because it stops at 90 and I'm not in the business of try to extrapolate.  It does seem a bit more compressed 

EPS certainly has more confluence and has the vort more held back. another move towards the GFS 

ezgif-5-ba3acad9ff.gif.d7fcf801ed226599fcd0837efd678c39.gif

• Like 7
  • Weenie 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic