• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2024 Valentines Day Rain/Snow/Who The Hell Knows Thread

WinterWxLuvr

Just need to delay this wave by a day to give cold air enough time to get here. Outside of the 0z run yesterday, Gfs is still faster than euro/cmc. But running out of time for big wholesale changes. Minor shifts here and there won’t get it done for us

I see some potential in that for two reasons, (a) it does not have very much warm advection, and (b) it develops a tight northeast to north gradient just as it's leaving land. It doesn't look like it wants to edge north which is also good, if it could edge south towards NC-VA border it could improve. 

1-3" first call. Wherever it does set up will get 4-6" but that looks to be se PA into s NJ at present. 

Blizzard of 1899 clone on Feb 18-19 gets your attention.

• Like 1

6z GEFS implies maybe a rain to snow deal from NW to SE. Still a decent amount of spread wrt low position and timing. It will probably take a strong low with some dynamics to overcome the temp issues. A weakish wave passing just to our south is probably a loser for frozen.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

6z GEFS implies maybe a rain to snow deal from NW to SE. Still a decent amount of spread wrt low position and timing. It will probably take a strong low with some dynamics to overcome the temp issues. A weakish wave passing just to our south is probably a loser for frozen.

Go big or bust....nice to have something to even consider for next week before the reload period.

6 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Go big or bust....nice to have something to even consider for next week before the reload period.

It seems a phase is the way to get colder air involved with precip still ongoing. Need some slight adjustments with the timing to get the low to track a bit further south.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Wait, "reload period"?  The pattern flip will just have completed by this time next week or a little later.

• Haha 1

6z control is not good, sped up the main wave and it drives the SLP over Pa, so the op was going to be bad. If 12z doesn’t correct I’d likely move my focus to 16-18th. This event was always a long shot to begin with since it was the first wave of the pattern change and we have marginal cold air

061b74ae4ef35e08fb8e7cf3ad4562ec.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heisy said:

6z control is not good, sped up the main wave and it drives the SLP over Pa, so the op was going to be bad. If 12z doesn’t correct I’d likely move my focus to 16-18th. This event was always a long shot to begin with since it was the first wave of the pattern change and we have marginal cold air

061b74ae4ef35e08fb8e7cf3ad4562ec.jpg

still 5-7 days out, IMO still bears watching until like sunday/monday if it still looks bad

Always a chance we get a lucky shift south like we did with the second Jan storm, but I don’t think this is it. We don’t have a PV or any arctic front pressing things south as the wave approaches to begin with. I’m more interested in the feb 18-20 window

• Like 2

Last several storms we've looked at this winter, the GFS has trended towards increased wave separation in the medium range (3-5 days) and has lead the others in that regard - including the initial Jan storm (rain here) and I believe both of our small snowstorms mid-month. 

While not an ideal setup for us, I won't say its dead until we're inside 3 days

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic