Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I thought BWI had like 30"? 

I think there was a major controversy at BWI for that storm. They were clearing every hour or something like that. Same thing happened at BOS too…BOS real total was prob more like 23” instead of the “record” 27.6”. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think there was a major controversy at BWI for that storm. They were clearing every hour or something like that. Same thing happened at BOS too…BOS real total was prob more like 23” instead of the “record” 27.6”. 

Yea, 1978 is still king...those were all total depth measurements, too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Bwi reported 28.2" over a 4 day period.  The controversy was whether it was correct to report as one storm the snow that fell Friday night thru and including Monday as there 2 lulls. I remember getting into an argument with somebody on Usenet (I think) from NE who called me a liar when I  gave the total. He was around 20 and he said BWI can't get much snow ever because he just figured our 9" in 00/01 and 4" in 01/02 was climo. Young punk! Lol

14 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

seems like the pattern change is coming, just a matter of strength and duration. with the SPV getting obliterated and immediately coupling with the TPV, I would expect blocking to continue into early March

gfs_nh-namindex_20240203.png.24d802ab881ac44e5a5f1785a47c6482.png

The Atlantic blocking has been getting stronger as we go deeper into February on ensembles. I just hope the PAC doesn’t go hostile after 10 days…even if it just goes to neutral after 10 days, a strong -AO would work fine (ala Feb 2021)…but hopefully both remain favorable for longer. 

16 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

seems like the pattern change is coming, just a matter of strength and duration. with the SPV getting obliterated and immediately coupling with the TPV, I would expect blocking to continue into early March

gfs_nh-namindex_20240203.png.24d802ab881ac44e5a5f1785a47c6482.png

Blocking sure, cold?  Doubtful with the PAC, I can see cold locking on the other side of the pole if you consider that a win

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, qg_omega said:

Blocking sure, cold?  Doubtful with the PAC, I can cold locking on the other side of the pole if you consider that a win

how? there is flow straight out of the Pole here. there's split flow with the STJ undercutting, but there's ridging well into AK

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-8344000.thumb.png.2f4e7da2eb9bfabc267f65ecb94222d7.pngcmc-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-8344000.thumb.png.2b99a1edce090276706c026626ec51c5.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The Atlantic blocking has been getting stronger as we go deeper into February on ensembles. I just hope the PAC doesn’t go hostile after 10 days…even if it just goes to neutral after 10 days, a strong -AO would work fine (ala Feb 2021)…but hopefully both remain favorable for longer. 

You can keep the -NAO ... 

... GEP's idea on that would be a storm destructive/compression hell.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I doubt it, we'd probably see the waveguide retrograde a bit into late Feb and March. shorter wavelengths also make it less likely to see a Pacific inundation. the MJO is moving into 8 and 1 and is generally a weak influence, so I also don't see any stupid MJO-induced jet extensions on the way

1706918400-KUWkkbaeqo4.thumb.png.4446a4a90a0115b075c3e87b9fc7cd7c.png

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I wish I measured correctly for 1/22/05 though it was pretty difficult. Had between 26-28" depth the next day

Hardest storm measure I’ve experienced 12+ foot drifts mixed with bare ground. Basically a guess in the end on the Cape. I’d say 30-35 was a good bet though.