Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

8 hours ago, qg_omega said:
image.png.215725a993222dff8ee1df04d8d4df23.png

I mentioned this earlier but we are seeing a very rapid strengthening and warming of this El Niño over the last 7 days (WWB/-SOI related). Region 3.4 is over +1.9C and fast approaching +2C, region 3 almost at +2C. None of the models predicted this and it is extremely unusual to see a Nino event strengthening in February. IMO this is going to be a big unexpected factor in the global long wave pattern and PAC jet going forward
ssta_graph_nino34.png

@Coastalwx @ORH_wxman @Mitchnick @JBenedet @Typhoon Tip

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I mentioned this earlier but we are seeing a very rapid strengthening and warming of this El Niño over the last 7 days (WWB/-SOI related). Region 3.4 is over +1.9C and fast approaching +2C, region 3 almost at +2C. None of the models predicted this and it is extremely unusual to see a Nino event strengthening in February. IMO this is going to be a big unexpected factor in the global long wave pattern and PAC jet going forward

ssta_graph_nino34.png

As you should know, the cause for the warming has been the current MJO wave. It's been on the models for at least 8 days as evidenced by the attached Eps 850 wind anomaly forecast from 1/25. It's been on the models longer than that, but I  don't have anything else handy to attach. And considering the Eps have been showing the upcoming pattern change since before 1/25, I think it's fair to say the models have figured it into their forecasts. So to quote a well-respected wx enthusiast, "no changes." Moreover, it's the strong MJO wave that's prompting the threat of a SSW. After this equatorial warming event, the Niño is toast.

ps2png-worker-commands-78fb8c5f97-l9lkf-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-1SA1rf.png

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

ssta_graph_nino34.png

I realize there's close to 300 pages on the matter out in the main WNC forum ...but I'm willing to hunch that is transient.  There was a pretty significant WWB over the past 2 to 3 weeks in association with a rare feat:  an MJO that actually coupled ...  But, those come and go and as the curve shows, there are many intra-seasonal variances that can be triggered by short duration wind related stressing patterns.  If using the same metrical supposition - we'll see what the MJO desk/CPC thinks about it Monday or Tuesday.  But anyway, it may not represent a real longer term push

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

25 and sunny . Weird to get excited about either but oddly I am 

Maybe you have S.A.D. latency     lol.

Actually, I was kind of liking the cloudy days.  It was still air and cold enough underneath that the ground coverage persisted.  For a shit winter ...we've actually managed to count up some "snow on the ground days"  - it's just not been very deep.  

• Like 4

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Maybe you may S.A.D. latency     lol.

Actually, I was kind of liking the cloudy days.  It was still air and cold enough underneath that the ground coverage persisted.  For a shit winter ...we've actually managed to count up some "snow on the ground days"  - it's just not been very deep.  

Agreed. Clouds good for pack. 

• Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Maybe you may S.A.D. latency     lol.

I liked it because it helped protect the light pack . But with grass blades now showing and nothing to look forward to wxwise .. may as well be sunny 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tomorrow Tip will talk about first nape zephyrs.

Nah ... might be some hints of that appeal, but the real deal is this next Friday and Saturday.  

Well, depending which guidance one chooses.  The blend of the Euro and GGEM?  Ho man.   I don't care what the 2-m layouts depict, if that synopsis pans out under Feb 9 full sun, it will be in the low to mid 60s.  

• Like 1

It's highly unlikely to go 0-for in that look. 

The other aspect ... due to the climate signal relationship with elevating global PWATs being a constant integral problem to all synoptic manifolds in real f'ing undeniable, incontrovertible time ... trying to ask New England ( of all places and climate ) to go 2 weeks in a wildly amplifying +PNA, is tantamount to not having a great deal of talent in the field of deterministic meteorology -

that's the long way of saying dumb.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Could end up dry for second half of February but it also might not. It’s a split flow pattern out west. 

That is a strong STJ underneath that PNA ridge....willing to bet that we get something unless a PV lobe parks itself over Montreal. These longe range CPC charts are of no more value than some of the day 15 deterministic OP runs that draw the ire of so many and result in a barrage of weenie emojis. 

• Thanks 1