• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Threat Thread: The Return of Hope??

stormtracker

1 minute ago, high risk said:

That's the key point.    It's badly out of date and wasn't a great system when it was "in date".

A high res ensemble seems like a good idea in theory. Have they tried to develop a system that actually works?  

2 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Definitely not.  IAD gets way more precip than I do.  And it is no warmer. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It didn’t snow anywhere in 2020 or 2023. And 2022 were mostly SWFE which aren’t great for the Shenandoah valley. But they can do way better in some years.  But I don’t think it’s as reliable as it was 20 years ago. 

Maybe things’ve changed now, but when I was growing up here in Vienna, I would always hear about the “far N & W” suburbs like winchester getting a ton more snow. They were killing it and I was jealous. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

A high res ensemble seems like a good idea in theory. Have they tried to develop a system that actually works?  

The RRFS (Rapid Refresh Forecast System, a 3 km ensemble, is being developed.    It hasn't been easy, because it has to be at least as good as the HREF to replace it, and it's far easier to get meaningful spread from a a system with multiple different models (HREF) than a system with just a single model core.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We drove out to Winchester a couple weeks ago (a helpful middle meeting ground between Staunton and DC to pick up my daughter when she stays with my parents lol), and I was surprised that the elevation on the east side of the BR was basically the same as the west heading towards Winchester.  The valley is so much lower around Winchester than around Staunton and points south.  In Rockbridge County it actually goes above 1800' until it starts descending as you head towards Roanoke.

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Maybe things’ve changed now, but when I was growing up here in Vienna, I would always hear about the “far N & W” suburbs like winchester getting a ton more snow. They were killing it and I was jealous. 

As recently as 2013, 2014, and 2015 they obliterated the DC area in snowfall. What’s happen since 2016 imo is almost all our snow has come from lucky hits by progressive boundary waves during short periods when we got an epo pna ridge. Those don’t favor Winchester. They downslope in those plus they are kinda random and usually if you’re on the cold side of the boundary it’s cold enough. Being NW and higher offers no real advantage in those.  So recently the difference is less. 

I think if we go back to a +pdo with more coastal storms and inside runners they will go back to doing better again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Precip on the doorstep at 10pm Tuesday....precip is oriented a bit better...SW to NE.  Seeing some positive changes...again not the "F" word worthy, but could be a little more precip...let's see

I got some F words if you don’t bring this home…:lol:

• Haha 8

36 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I always thought it was a preview of the next cycle so that’s good to know. Always seemed like a good run of SREF lead to the next run if NAM being good.

Yea I always have seen the SREF as a predictor of how much wetter the next NAM run would be.  Also the Rap model that is like an ancient dinosaur of a model good luck with that model. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

As recently as 2013, 2014, and 2015 they obliterated the DC area in snowfall. What’s happen since 2016 imo is almost all our snow has come from lucky hits by progressive boundary waves during short periods when we got an epo pna ridge. Those don’t favor Winchester. They downslope in those plus they are kinda random and usually if you’re on the cold side of the boundary it’s cold enough. Being NW and higher offers no real advantage in those.  So recently the difference is less. 

I think if we go back to a +pdo with more coastal storms and inside runners they will go back to doing better again. 

Ninja’d by PSU. Was just gonna say… when the overall pattern gets back to classic miller a noreasters and coastal bombs / huggers, Winchester will once again destroy IAD in snowfall. Been a very weird last 7 years.