• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Threat Thread: The Return of Hope??

stormtracker

13 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I think our upside is 3"?  I mean, it's not what we wanted, but I'd take 1-3

It should be pretty fluffy snow, and it will fall at night in sub 32 temps.  Its not LES of course, but 12:1 ratios aren't unreasonable.  I'd say over under is 1.5", but I'd probably take the over.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

@psuhoffman will be posting pics of his kiddos building snowman from the "surprise" 6" he gets Tuesday Morning lol

I drive an hour to and from work everyday, I won't apologize for it!  The place I bought was on the market for like a year!  Any one of you could have got it...  Kidding not kidding.  I know its in jest but I suffer every work day for the few times a year I get more snow.  

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I drive an hour to and from work everyday, I won't apologize for it!  The place I bought was on the market for like a year!  Any one of you could have got it...  Kidding not kidding.  I know its in jest but I suffer every work day for the few times a year I get more snow.  

Whats your elevation?

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

An hour doesn’t sound that bad actually.  Seems common around the greater region.  Thought about Winchester at one point. Hour and 15 without traffic.  Still thinking that over a bit.  Doesn’t snow there either anymore it seems.  

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

All that so 3-5 days a year you get more snow…. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I left southern MD to be in the N&W burbs 30 years ago and it's paid off a number of times.  Now nearing retirement we want a big yard (like yours) and my wife has been floating the idea of Calvert where much of my family is.  Uh yikes?  But snow is rare even here now so it might not really matter

33 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

An hour doesn’t sound that bad actually.  Seems common around the greater region.  Thought about Winchester at one point. Hour and 15 without traffic.  Still thinking that over a bit.  Doesn’t snow there either anymore it seems.  

It's not awful IMO.  Baltimore isn't typically as bad as DC area with rush hour.  Plus I often can get in and out without hitting the worst of it if I plan my commute.  But it's still an extra hour than if I lived where most who commute in and out of the city do.  My point is anyone could do what I do, I don't have some special birth right.  I made a choice to move to the snowiest spot within reasonable commuting distance to DC/Baltimore.  It's not 100% the snow, I do love it up here all around.  I could do with a few less confederate flags...ugh, but its not most people.  And its beautiful, and in the summer its 85 instead of 93!  And there are a lot of recreational outdoor activities.  But the snow was a BIG part of it, I wont lie.

This would be a bit further to DC...but you could easily commute to one of the ridges near Mt Airy from DC in about the same time as my commute to Baltimore...and they don't to quite as good as me but they do about as much better than DC than I do v Baltimore.  

I sympathize with the snow weenies still in DC or Baltimore.  I really do.  I lived in the DC area for a long time.  And it wasn't enough snow to make me happy...so I moved!  But you all could do that...no wait...then we would have an UHI up here too...dont do that.  There are no places.  It's awful up here.  The wolves terrorize us daily.  Stay away.  

Oh on topic...things are trending better to break the 1" streak.  At this point the thing I would be most worried about in DC would be for the boundary to shift back north because that initial wave amplifies before it can clear the area.  

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Wow. I'm at about 750 and when I drive over the Catoctins it's doesn't take long till I see the difference as I go up in elevation. 

It also helps to be at the summit of a ridge because of upslope.  Being at 1030 at the summit of a ridge is way different than at 1030 in a valley.  Not the same results...  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It also helps to be at the summit of a ridge because of upslope.  Being at 1030 at the summit of a ridge is way different than at 1030 in a valley.  Not the same results...  

Yeah, I didn’t know what upslope meant until I had a place at 2800 feet. 

• Like 1